Digital Camera ??

Ricko

After a successful selling spree on that well known internet auction site, I have an unexpected windfall and have decided to treat myself to a new digital camera (budget £150 approx).

I used to do a lot of photography with an old Pentax SLR, when I upgrade my mobile I expect to have a semi-decent point and shoot of about 5-8Mp.

I am not sure what to get for a main camera though, are 'bridge' cameras any good?

Your advice/input as ever always welcome.

(Quick update on the 'situation': Kids fine, settled well, seem to love living with me; Dad, a bit fraught, love having the kids here, new g/f (early days), 3st weight loss!!)

Edited by ricko

i dont like phone cameras, their ok for the odd photo when theres no camera about but for me thats about it, i had a bridge camera and loved it, sold it about two years ago to help fund the slr but wish i hadnt as it was very handy. although i own a compact with 150 quid id go for a bridge over a compact but im sure youll have people come along to disagree, and they could be right.

heres a few on ebuyer, i have always found them pretty good value

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?sort=pricelow&q=compact-system-cameras&limit=10&page=1

Have to dissagree with muggins ! I am on my second Fuji Bridge camera and its brillient ! Only on the second as I upgraded ! Never a fault or let down and i cant recomend one enough ! :)

Have you ever sent one under guarantee for repair? I did.

They didn`t want to tell me in full what the repair was then said unless i paid for it i wouldn`t get the camera back. They only relented when i`ll take it up with a solicitor and trading standards.

It turned out the fault was the cicuit board inside.

I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND FUJI CAMERAS TO ANYONE.

Have you ever sent one under guarantee for repair? I did.

They didn`t want to tell me in full what the repair was then said unless i paid for it i wouldn`t get the camera back. They only relented when i said i`ll take it up with a solicitor and trading standards.

It turned out the fault was the cicuit board inside.

I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND FUJI CAMERAS TO ANYONE.

We've been here before, fairly recently!

I'm still in the Fuji camp, their bridge cameras are, in my opinion only, superb value for money.

And no, I've never had to send one for repair and I'm on my 4th in 8 years.

One was old technology and was updated, one I dropped in Portsmouth Harbour (don't ask) and two are still very much in use. The bridge is now about five years old, has taken thousands of shots and is still my favourite. I really don't like modern compact cameras where you have to look at a screen on the back, in daylight you can't see a thing!

I bought a Fuji bridge camera in June and have been very pleased with it. I bunged in a load of tesco tokens and got £100 off so it only cost £48.00 !

It has since been out with me taking pictures & video of wild otters in France, on a family holiday, on bike trips and is the mutts nuts around a safari park with 24x zoom, equivalent to a 500mm SLR lens, or so it says. It has an electronic view finder and LCD screen but you have to switch manually between the two. The only thing I can't find on it is any information about how much space is left on the SDHC card. But I took 286 photos on holiday and the card was not full.