New to forum

davo

Hi People,

Not sure if I'm in the right bit, but I'm here so Hello to all, I've not long joined the forum but have been browsing it for a while, very good, loads of info :good:

I use Air rifles, Shotguns and work Ferrets, I've been on the look out for land to shoot on and recently had some success, a lot of No's in the process but got there in the end, 900 acres mixed ground with some woods and a small pond.

I'm hopeing to apply for my FAC in the future but not really got a clue about what rifle I'm after, it would be for longer range rabbits and the odd fox should one appear.

Looking forward to becomeing a regular poster.

If you are after long-range rabbits and the occasional fox, then the .17hmr would seem to be the most obvious choice.

This would make 150yd rabbits a piece of cake and with the correct ammo’ would suffice for foxes at sensible ranges. (@ 60yds).

If however you are in an area that has strong winds, then perhaps a .22 Hornet or a .222 Rem may be a better choice. :good:

G.M.

Hi People,

Not sure if I'm in the right bit, but I'm here so Hello to all, I've not long joined the forum but have been browsing it for a while, very good, loads of info :good:

I use Air rifles, Shotguns and work Ferrets, I've been on the look out for land to shoot on and recently had some success, a lot of No's in the process but got there in the end, 900 acres mixed ground with some woods and a small pond.

I'm hopeing to apply for my FAC in the future but not really got a clue about what rifle I'm after, it would be for longer range rabbits and the odd fox should one appear.

Looking forward to becomeing a regular poster.

Hi Davo,

Well done on getting your land. Tha's a nice amount to have. Is it mostly arable or for stock?

There is some lovely countryside in Midlothian. I drove up to Edinburgh a couple of weeks ago and I spent more time scanning the landscape for signs of rabbits than anything else. There's a nice hilly section north of Berwick where the road follows a railway line and that looked promising - near Grants House maybe - not that sure. I spent that part of the trip imagining wandering there with my rifle. Didn't hear a word the wife was saying, while repeating occasionally, 'Yes dear. That's right.' It got me through the journey. Shopping in Edinburgh was a different story though.

Thanks to all for the welcome,

Evilv, the land I've got is a mix of livestock and crops, know what you mean about the "yes dear""no dear" bit, been there done that, agreed, some nice ground round grantshouse area.

Where in the borders are you Kirky640? borders country is not far from me.

Grantshouse... used to live 7 miles from there lovely area some good brown trout fishing near there.

Not much shooting there though..

The old railway tunnel collapsed when a train was going through and I believe 30 people are still buries in there they could not get the train or bodies out. Supposed to be real spooky.

That's a ghastly tale.

I don't shoot in the borders, but in the North Pennines. I took up shooting again last year, gained a few permissions with an airrifle and then converted to .22LR. There's a much better margin of error for clean kills now, albeit that I have to make myself stop and ask questions about where the lead will end up.

Thanks to all for the welcome,

Evilv, the land I've got is a mix of livestock and crops, know what you mean about the "yes dear""no dear" bit, been there done that, agreed, some nice ground round grantshouse area.

Where in the borders are you Kirky640? borders country is not far from me.

im south of galashiels davo and you???

Grantshouse... used to live 7 miles from there lovely area some good brown trout fishing near there.

Not much shooting there though..

The old railway tunnel collapsed when a train was going through and I believe 30 people are still buries in there they could not get the train or bodies out. Supposed to be real spooky.

the digger driver and dumper driver are buried there, the digger drivers brother lives up the road a bit but yes horrible i was told it was to dangerous to try to get them out

they were making the tunnel higher to get taller carrages threw it i was told.

the tunnels name is penmanshiel the railway nows goes round the hillside sad days