Fairground fragmetation bullets

I bought some .22 shorts today--loaded with fragmentation bullets and designed for shooting galleries in pubs and fairgrounds. Would they be any good for rats? Anyone tried them? They're called .22 miniD and packed in an old-fashioned looking box, made by Dynamit Nobel. If they're no good for rats I've wasted £1.80.

I bought some .22 shorts today--loaded with fragmentation bullets and designed for shooting galleries in pubs and fairgrounds. Would they be any good for rats? Anyone tried them? They're called .22 miniD and packed in an old-fashioned looking box, made by Dynamit Nobel. If they're no good for rats I've wasted £1.80.

I believe this type of round was used by the Boxing Champion and, later Celebrity, Freddie Mills, to take his own life in July, 1965.

Yep, your POA will be different and I found that they are not so accurate as subs, but for close range say 10-15yds they will do the job pretty well. You may have to be careful in getting them to chamber. Make sure they have a fairly soft back stop, because they can bounce back, or fragments can.

Don't use them, save them. Dealers around lancs had a large trade selling these to the stall holders in Blackpool, They are now a thing of the past however and should appriciate well over the years box aswell. far better to use a std sub 12ft lb air rifle. Ther heads are not pure lead but a mixture with non metal (graphite i think) to ensure no ricochets, the stall holders were placed infront of the muzzles to one side remember!

I believe this type of round was used by the Boxing Champion and, later Celebrity, Freddie Mills, to take his own life in July, 1965.

Yes, I remember reading about that. He borrowed a pump action .22 from Battersea Fairground.

Thanks for your comments. I don't think I'll be around long enough for them to appreciate in value!

Kent, I'm sure you're right about the graphite. They're a bit mucky and you can make 'pencil marks' on brick with the bullet--no I'm not firing them at bricks!

Should be ok for rats,probably ideal. I agree though, if they prove to be no good for the job, you've wasted a lot of money on them. LOL.