Any Point calling 101

slingshooter

Recently My friend went shooting in a local barley field.He called round 3 out of the 4 bungalows that were close by informing them of his intentions the day before.He called 101 as well and let them know exactly where He would be,what time He would be there and gone. Job sorted.All he had to do was enjoy the sport and keep the farmer happy.......No Chance.The people in the 4th bungalow had called the Police and they had duly arrived at My mates field.After the usual questions they were quite happy to let Him continue shooting. My friend had asked the police officers if they had contacted the 101 switch board to see if They had a log of anyone shooting on that day and at that time.They said that they had been told that they had no log registered. SO WHATS THE POINT......How much money has this call out cost.What other useful jobs could these two police officers be doing?

Edited by slingshooter

we have not rung up they still come we have rung up they still come point less im never ringing again total waste of my time im legal so i don't care 1 bit if they waste there fuel and 5 cars, a van, and a helicopter coming to see my bit of paper that says im aloud to shoot here im now on 1st names terms with them

Which is precisely why I conduct my legal hobby without the town crier bit - as long as you are within the rules and regs let them come out and visit - there will never be enough man power for the police to visit every "bang" in Britain....but that is for them to manage, maybe when the top brass see the stats for "time wasted checking out a report of gun" they will come up with a new strategy like gps micro chips for guns -this is already in place in some industries for tracking equipment so why not make everybody chip there guns?

Regards,

Gixer

I can't see how they can not respond to the call "madman with gun murdering animals" or "someone I don't know on some land I don't own doing something I don't like" you say you went to 3 of the 4 why not the 4th?

Either way they have to respond imagine if they turned round and said "oh it's only so and so shooting pigeons" and it wasn't .....

Edited by HDAV

Which is precisely why I conduct my legal hobby without the town crier bit - as long as you are within the rules and regs let them come out and visit - there will never be enough man power for the police to visit every "bang" in Britain....but that is for them to manage, maybe when the top brass see the stats for "time wasted checking out a report of gun" they will come up with a new strategy like gps micro chips for guns -this is already in place in some industries for tracking equipment so why not make everybody chip there guns?

Regards,

Gixer

Perhaps you could also have an implant to link you to the gun too .................. 1984, there we were !!

I can't see how they can not respond to the call "madman with gun murdering animals" or "someone I don't know on some land I don't own doing something I don't like" you say you went to 3 of the 4 why not the 4th?

Either way they have to respond imagine if they turned round and said "oh it's only so and so shooting pigeons" and it wasn't .....

We've done this discussion before. I see no reason as to why they need to come out. Unless the caller reports something specifically illegal or dangerous then there is no reason to respond.

A bloke in a field in the middle of no where shooting does not, on the face of it, equate to anything unlawful. Hence, it is no concern of the police. Why would anyone ring that in to the police? It's like phoning the cops each time a car drives past in case the diver doesn't have a licence or insurance.

J.

Speaking with both my coppers head on and as a shooter if you're going to phone up and notify make sure you're given a log reference number so that if you're visited you can quote it and don't be fobbed off by the operator.

Personally I don't bother notifying as I don't have to and we have to attend all firearms logs whether you notify or not, so even if you do call in we'll still have to visit unless one of the comms ops is switched on and sees a log (incident report) saying that someone is shooting in a specific area. You may get a phone call then to ask if you're out shooting in that area and can you hear anyone else.

The only people I tell is the local Raf camp as I shoot alongside their boundary fence. I've had loads of calls from them tellin me that other people are out in the area shooting (usually inside the boundary fence) so from a safety point it works and id prefer to be nowhere near the wrong end of an SA80 or an raf police dog!!!!!

As for phoning the police it won't change anything and you'll probably be on hold for half an hour... That's a lot of rabbits you could be shooting instead!!!

Speaking with both my coppers head on and as a shooter if you're going to phone up and notify make sure you're given a log reference number so that if you're visited you can quote it and don't be fobbed off by the operator.

Personally I don't bother notifying as I don't have to and we have to attend all firearms logs whether you notify or not, so even if you do call in we'll still have to visit unless one of the comms ops is switched on and sees a log (incident report) saying that someone is shooting in a specific area. You may get a phone call then to ask if you're out shooting in that area and can you hear anyone else.

The only people I tell is the local Raf camp as I shoot alongside their boundary fence. I've had loads of calls from them tellin me that other people are out in the area shooting (usually inside the boundary fence) so from a safety point it works and id prefer to be nowhere near the wrong end of an SA80 or an raf police dog!!!!!

As for phoning the police it won't change anything and you'll probably be on hold for half an hour... That's a lot of rabbits you could be shooting instead!!!

ha hahahah result so its not just me that they pick on told you point less waste of time the log number bit is about 5 mins faster when they turn up but the 20 mins on phone at start is waste of breath the bird who your telling has not got a clue so they ask you stupid questions like where do you work what the frigging hell has that got owt to do with it in fact its good sport watching them tryin to get into field after the so called alleged terrorist

ha hahahah result so its not just me that they pick on told you point less waste of time the log number bit is about 5 mins faster when they turn up but the 20 mins on phone at start is waste of breath the bird who your telling has not got a clue so they ask you stupid questions like where do you work what the frigging hell has that got owt to do with it in fact its good sport watching them tryin to get into field after the so called alleged terrorist

Thanks for reminding me Tony about the sfq's (stupid fu***ng questions) I forgot about that bit that the call handlers ask! Asking questions that aren't relevant to anything!!!!

What the hell is going on this country? Notify the police when you're going out to shoot rabbits!! What n Earth has happened to the British people to turn them into a nation of frightened babies?

When the police notify me that they're going out to shoot Brazilian electricians or drunk men carrying chair legs I'll consult them over my vermin control. Until then I've got a job to do if they haven't. And the neighbours can butt out. If they don't like it they can always move to a safe gated comunity in a well lit town where they can communicate with the world through an intercom.

I'm sick of everyone walking on eggshells over firearms in this country. Whatever happened to old fashioned grown-up common sense.

If the police are concerned about firearms there are a million or two pathologically criminal immigrants roaming the inner cities in gangs shooting each other and anyone else who gets in their way every day of the week with imported black-market handguns.

Perhaps they might take their helicopters, dogs and supermarket janitor's high-visibility safetywear to take a look at that when they've got a moment.

As for chipping guns.... Oh dear God in heaven how did we ever get to this. ???:no:

Perhaps we could just take a policeman along with us each time we go. They're going to turn up anyway, so this would save all the questions and nee-naa racing to the scene. Maybe just a PCSO to save them from arresting litter bugs. They could carry our stuff for us.

Maybe just a PCSO to save them from arresting litter bugs. They could carry our stuff for us.

Lol that might actually have some positive benefits re rural crime! I wonder when they get these reports how are they handled? Does it have a negative or positive slant in perfermonance rates?

Colliwobbles - I take it you mean RAF St Mawgan? - if so, it would be worth you calling in to see OC Police (Dave Newing) if you don't already know him - he is a shooting man too, maybe a useful contact for some shooting?! (Nice guy too)

Mike

Cheers mike, I know the name, I'll look him up next time I'm up there.

What the hell is going on this country? Notify the police when you're going out to shoot rabbits!! What n Earth has happened to the British people to turn them into a nation of frightened babies?

When the police notify me that they're going out to shoot Brazilian electricians or drunk men carrying chair legs I'll consult them over my vermin control. Until then I've got a job to do if they haven't. And the neighbours can butt out. If they don't like it they can always move to a safe gated comunity in a well lit town where they can communicate with the world through an intercom.

I'm sick of everyone walking on eggshells over firearms in this country. Whatever happened to old fashioned grown-up common sense.

If the police are concerned about firearms there are a million or two pathologically criminal immigrants roaming the inner cities in gangs shooting each other and anyone else who gets in their way every day of the week with imported black-market handguns.

Perhaps they might take their helicopters, dogs and supermarket janitor's high-visibility safetywear to take a look at that when they've got a moment.

As for chipping guns.... Oh dear God in heaven how did we ever get to this. ???:no:

Well said.

to be honest, i usually call in if i'm lamping, but the routine of calling two different police forces, and then answering two sets of questions which are never the same is getting irritating, combined with the observations above - that they would have to come out anyway, AND the system for spotting someone had already called in is left down to the competence of a single call handler - I dont think i'm going to bother from now on.

To be honest there needs to be more people done for wasting police time when they make these pointless reports of people shooting in the countryside. There is zero reason to ring in stuff like this unless you have a very strong suspicion that somethign illegal is taking place.

J.

To a certain point I agree with you - I know of one person who called out the police (resulting in an armed response unit coming from about 40 miles away) over a child with a spud gun, he was using it as a malicious attack. They don't seem to do people often, I've never understood why.

The only slight issue I see is that, as some people genuinely have no idea about firearms, they should not be done for reporting what they think is illegal, doing people who don't understand and who think they're doing the right thing then runs the risk of stopping others from trying it when needed.

But I'm sure that in most cases it will be obvious when it's an anti just trying to cause trouble, and they should be in major trouble. Anybody who genuinely doesn't have a clue that firearms can be owned and used in a field at night needs telling that when it's investigated, meaning they won't have a valid reason to bother the police again over it.

"To a certain point I agree with you - I know of one person who called out the police (resulting in an armed response unit coming from about 40 miles away) over a child with a spud gun, he was using it as a malicious attack. They don't seem to do people often, I've never understood why."

You make a fair point,the balance between what deserves investigation or not cannot always be clear from a police viewpoint.However the present system seems to offer no penalties to any "anti" who wishes to exploit it,although the only real hassle I have had has been through a lady(house with right of way through a farm I shoot on)whose boyfriend was refused shooting permission where I shoot.

Gimlet for PM

Me and WelshAndy on her have been granted permission to shoot clays on our permission. We thought it might be a good reason to call 101 due to the abnormal amounts of shots that will be fired to the norm there. Not a built up area, the odd cottage within a three mile radius.

What ar your thought on this? Worth it, or a complete waste o time?

I'd definitely call it in for something like that. To the "uninitiated" that amount of bangs will sound like a firefight. Call 101, get a CAD number then when/if the old bill turn up, you can give then that number then they will hopefully go and leave you alone. You can call 101 after, if you feel like it, and they will close the CAD number down.