Some silverware at last!

Frenchieboy

This may sound very much like I am blowing my own trumpet but I am over the moon!

One of my hobbies/sports throughout the summer (April to September) is Crown Green Bowling, something that the wife and I have been doing for the last 5 years. We bowl for two teams, one playing on Tuesday evenings and the other playing on Wednesday afternoons. Niether of these teams are very high in the league but we enjoy thouroughly enjoy the sport and most importantly the social side of it. We also play a "Round Robin" match every Saturday afternoon.

Over the last few years I have never really been rated as a bowler with an over abundance of skills but this year I decided to try to steady my game up and improve on the standard of my bowling, and through practice and getting more focussed on the game it has paid off. The last two Staurdays I have won the round Robins outright (Only small cash prizes, but the money isn't really important) with a maximum score each time on every game that I played and to top the lot I won my first silverware yesterday. We had both teams that I play for bowling together for an annual challenge shield, last year I was knocked out in the semi finals and the year before I was beaten in the finals but yesterday I pulled out all the stops and managed to keep my cool and win the shield outright in a fairly convincing way with some really convincing wins throughout the preliminaries the quarter finals and semi finals even though the final game went right down to the wire (Against one of the team captains and a very good personal friend of mine) with the score going to 20 points each (We play up to 21 points). The trophy is away being engraved at the moment but I will put a photo up of the presentation of the engraved shield when it is properly presented in a few days time.

To top it all off we have our Wednesday League Club's challenge match to play tomorrow and I am rated as the favourite to win that too as I have the highest averages out of the entire team throughout the season. I will let you know how I get on.

I am now also focussing myself more on my clay shooting too, trying my best to improve on that and have been placed 1st and 4th on our last two club clay shoots. We have another club clay shoot this coming Sunday so I am hoping to shoot well at that one to put myself in line for the trophy for "The most improved clay shooter" with our club too! I have even (provisionally) brought myself a new (Per-Owned) and rather classy (Compared to what I currently have) Over and Under which I am hoping to arrive just after the week end in order to try to improve further.

At the moment things sem to be looking up with it all being down to practice and staying much more focussed, time will tell!

Congratulations Frenchieboy, nice to see a fellow bowler having some success. I've just had a good couple of weeks bowling-wise too, our team have just scooped the Friday night league, I have just won a singles title and we have a county league final in a week or so too. Although unlike your good self this is on a flat pitch rather than a mound...

Although unlike your good self this is on a flat pitch rather than a mound...

There are mixed feelings on this mate! Some (Including myself) would say that it is a much more "technical" game played on "a mound". I guess it's whatever floats your boat, and of course we don't have many flat greens around here. Mind you, it might be interesting to see how a Crown Green Bowler got on against a Flat Green Bowler on oposite greens I guess!

I surpose that if I wanted to play on a billiard table I could always take up snooker! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck to you anyway mate! :good: