• 2 months later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

tiercel

I have a rabbit problem on a local farm. Namely the rabbits live on an embankment of slip road to a dual carriageway. This embankment is lit up with street lighting. I can't shoot it as there are other roads near by. I've snared a few rabbits in the past. As well as shooting some rabbits that wonder out into the middle of the field.

I've heard of a set net. Basically, a net that is placed out during the day time, but the bottom string is raised so that rabbits can walk underneath the net. Thus allowing rabbits out into the field to feed. Allegedly all a person has to do is pull a string at one end the net and the net sets itself.

Is this true, or is someone talking the ****.

Thanks Elma

Elma, what you heard is sort of true but there is a lot more to it than putting the net up,and waiting for the rabbits to pass under it. You have to leave the net there untill the rabbits get used to passing under it. Of course that is asking for your net to go walkabouts! If you do want to try it, i would place the net as close to the fence as possible that way they would take it as part of the fence. The mechanics of dropping the net vary. The most popular way seems to be have the net suspended on poles with pins attached to a string, so when you pull the string the pins come out and the net drops into position. Try a few ideas out your self you'll be supprised what you will come up with.

Tiercel.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

i went to a game fair near were i live in co. durham and there was somebody there doing a demonstraition with this longnet. the longnet was in a bag with the poles allredy attached all he did was walk out backwards untill he felt a tuck of the net reching the pole and then he put the pole down, and so on. i just wonderd if any one had any info of were i could buy one on these.

brian brinded

quickset longnets

this is almost certainly the system you saw demonstrated as hes at just about every show. this is not an endorsment as i know ****** all about long netting. i get my purse nets from bridport nets01308420927 and have been happy with their quality and delivery service

pete

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
where can you get hold of long nets and how much do they cost!! :D

there are tons of places to get them from, Deben, suffolk 0870 4422600, www.deben.com {they sell shooting stuff too!}, arthur carter, 02476 454244 sells them, so do k.p & s. nets, 01297 33920, check all their different prices first though, because they can vary quite a lot! Brian Brinded has a video out called=

'MAKING AND MAINTAINING NETS' 3 hours long and tells you how to make purse nets, longnets, etc. His agent is,

www.artvideos.com

or, their postal address is,

constable country videos,

bedside manor,

rectory hill,

east bergholt,

colchester.

C07 6th

01206 298805

Hope this is of some use to you. I love long netting, in fact I'm off out tonight in deepest Sussex, on my own because my netting partner is full of flu at the moment. My wife panics when I go alone because there have been a lot of reports around Newhaven and Seaford of the Lynx, my son in law and I saw it one night about six or seven months ago in the beam of our lamp and after that I always scan the papers and the net for any other reports! Too many people from all areas of society have reported seeing it for it to be pure speculation.I don't worry though, there are hundreds of rabbits over this farm, so I don't think it would fancy a slice of fifty seven year old meat like me, do you?. Anyway, best of luck, and give long netting a go, you'll probably love it! =Longnetter.

Another thought just occurred to me, there are another two videos out called,

RABBITING { JUST SOME OF THE METHODS }, and, 'PROFFESIONAL RABBIT CATCHING WITH MICK MANSBRIDGE' both by Countryside audio and visual.

e-mail= countryside.av@btinternet.com

Mick is a well respected rabbit catcher and shows you how to set a variety of long nets, drop nets etc. he's a down to earth bloke who you'd willingly spend a night on the **** with, a good countryman who really knows what he's talking about!

cheers,

Longnetter.

Tiercel,

Don't take this the wrong way mate, but I'm glad that I'm not the only re-cycled teenager who loves long netting. I too have grown so tall that I've grown through my hair line and now have a pink and shiney bit { O.K. = a lot! } sticking through! Joking apart though, long netting is fascinating and there's always something else to learn. I've just made myself a set of drop net poles out of that U.P.V.C. PIPE THAT PLUMBERS USE AS WASTE PIPE. I've stengthened the middles with timber inserts and they are now quite rigid but light to carry, and for the droppers I've used shorter lengths with rings made of strong galvanised wire. I could only get the white stuff at the time, so I painted it all black and it looks O.K. There are seven poles ready at the moment and I've set them up over at my favourite spot on a fairly local farm, they have a fifty yad long net attached and I've left it suspended there until the weekend for the rabbits to get used to passing underneath it all. I'm a bus driver in Brighton and Hove and of course I have a variety of late and early shifts with days off at funny times of the week which does give me the chance to roam about when the public are asleep. Except for, poachers, burglars, coppers, ladies of the night, taxi drivers and bus drivers of course.

I'm very lucky with this particular farm in the fact of it not having any public footpaths and the net is set up in a valley out of sight of the main road. The only bugbear is that ****** { travellers } are rife around this area and they'd steal the saddle of a nightmare if given the chance. Last year four of them tried to grab my young lurcher off me, but I managed to get into someone's driveway as if I lived there and they, luckily, left it at that! I'm fifty seven and they were all mid twenties and big, so I consider myself very, very lucky, but the 'Old Bill' didn't want to know because I never actually got hit and never got the registration of their white Trannie van! Anyway, this spot with the long net set up is rife with rabbits and I thought that as I was ferreting the farm next Sunday I would give it a go at the same time! The most I've had at any one time at this farm is seventeen { ferreting } and the most is nine for lamping, and my top score is five for long netting. Not that brilliant given the amount of rabbits over there but I'm a very happy bloke who realises how lucky I am to have so much ground at my disposal. I have five golf clubs, two farms and a private school, plus, and this is really true, a nudist colony! I only go in the winter months when the chalets are closed up and there is only the caretaker and a few hundred rabbits there. They are under the wooden chalets and dotted around the wooded areas and can by quite hard won sometimes! I'll let you know how the drop net works out,

cheers,

longnetter. :/:D :

how did you get on with your drop net longnetting session? i have got a 50yard tammell net i use for dropnetting. but like you say you have gotta be preety carefull where you set these.people will nick anything these days even if they dont know what its for.

Interesting stuff about your drop nets, going right back to the early messages regarding how much bag to have in the net I'd say that most nets you buy have cords far too long for the amount of net supplied. We usually end up cutting a 100 yard net down to about 70 yards.

Another tip you might like to consider is to lay out the net on the ground in daylight, organise the net along the cords to even out the bagging then tie the net to the cords at intervals equal to where you intend putting the pegs in so that when you put the net up at night the bagging is all equal along the net. A bit of sidewind when setting up can push nylon nets all over the place. I find hemp long nets a bit bulky but always use hemp for my purse nets as I reckon they tangle far less.

Interested to see you putting the pegs in as you lay out the net, I've found that to be a bit of a palaver and usually run the net right out pegging both ends then go back to put in the pegs. Matter of preference I suppose.

I enjoy using the long nets in conjunction with ferrets, we've a rough old bit of ground to do soon with lots of patches of gorse. It's alive with rabbits so we are going to net round each clump one at a time and run a few ferrets through. Should be exciting sport

Last year four of them tried to grab my young lurcher off me, but I managed to get into someone's driveway as if I lived there and they, luckily, left it at that! I'm fifty seven and they were all mid twenties and big, so I consider myself very, very lucky, but the 'Old Bill' didn't want to know because I never actually got hit and never got the registration of their white Trannie van!

Never, ever, ever, carry a can pepper spray to defend yourself from a number of people who may wish to obtain your cur. :oops:

old rooster.do you find when you set your nylon nets pegging after they will become tangled with the smallest bit of rubbish.especially if your doing a end set and the wind has blown all your bag to where youve tied it to the head line usuallyall the bag is bunched up and in the middle of it you will find the smallest twig in the world. this is one of the advatages hemp has over nylon. it tends not to pick up ****.also when doing end sets i always tale the end of the nets out into the field10 yards you will be amazed how many rabbits have not become entangled because the wind has bunched all the bag up. and the rabbits run down the length of the net into the taled ends.hope you have agood day ferreting with the longnets. :oops: