.17 Hornet

Dekers

Im not sold on them personally from what ive read, 17 as a caliber and in a hmr format is more than capable of small game upto say 150 yrds or more. Why is there a need to shoot further with this small caliber, any further and I want to up caliber and weight to say a 22-250 or larger. 17 is also badly effected by the wind 5mph + so longer shots with the hornet will reduce the accuracy, for me I cant see the point, but I could be proved wrong.

The .17 hornet will basically be what many thought the HMR was and some more. Firing a heavier higher BC bullet it will take far less wind at range. Personally i dont like the terminals on these .17's though many do i dont, ok for small stuff though (let us be fair its a gun for Americans to shoot little marmots and the like) 300yds? yes in the right hands the balistics are there but the right hands can do the same and have better terminals on larger quarry with the .22 variant and handloads

Its in this weeks shooting times as a flier from Edgars range days through the country during this month on

If you could get a high BC bullet like a 30 Nagel or 30 Gold you would find wind drift greatly negated. I have fired side by side at a fixed range with a 22-250 shooting 55 grainers and I shooting the .17 Rem with .25s @ 4,000fps the wind drift difference @ 100 was not much. I know now that the whole story would be told at 300 or more as the higher BC slower bullet would no doubt shine but at close range the fast bullet was not greatly affected by wind anymore than the heavier 250 bullet. For fox in the UK I would think the 20 or 25 vmax would be excellent in the Hornet, they are a tad thin in the jacket for Coyotes.

Been using a 17AH for a couple of years, 150 yards on fox, 200+ on smaller things like rabbits, crows etc. Have some reservations about 20gr Vmax on fox at this point. Rifles from CZ and savage are appearing in the US around December, dont expect we will see them until March 13.

No point in using a 30 gr bullet in the Hornet, you really need more case capacity for that. Hornet is set up for 20gr, perhaps 25 at a push.

As part of a set of rifles then fine but you will need a 20 or 22 for most fox work, as a light walking rifle it is sweet providing you respect its limitations. Wind is not the issue I thought it would be, a Biggameinfo drop drift chart is in my 4x4. I carry mine on a trap round from March till about July. Then as foxes are more likely to be encountered I switch to a bigger caliber.

I would also wait till we get feedback on these forums (rather than press reports!!) or the US ones like Saubier on accuracy. CZ are saying good things but rumour has it that Savage had been having issues.

A

Edited by Alycidon

If anyone else is going to the rangedays, I will be at Riflecraft, Norfolk on Saturday 29th September to have a go and see what its like, fancy a small centrefire to fill a gap, think this might be it but will wait and see.

I do a fair bit of shooting, in many areas, Game and Vermin Control, pleasure and target..... and shotgun.

I have 12ft lb, FAC Air, 2 x .22lr, 17HMR, .22WMR, .223, .243, .308......with around a 1000ft lb spread I have always thought there seems an obvious gap between the .22WMR at around 320ft lb and the .223 at about 1300ft lb, strange as it may seem I have NEVER actually found this to be a problem and never been in a situation where I have said to myself, I wish I had a Hornet (whatever), it would be perfect for this job.

Just the same, I always look at the market and I'm certainly curious as to what this 17 Hornet is like...and of course the ammo performance/cost/availability, which I do understand with factory is not likely to be cheap.

I'm registered for Dauntsey on 30 Sept but it is a busy day for me, so I may not make it.

Dekers, ultimately it might be the best thing since sliced bread but you'll still need to reload it in order to shoot it without breaking the bank! And then I'd still be tempted to go to 17 Fireball...

It will have to be special for me to invest anyway.

As you know I have thought about the .22 Hornet more than a few times over the years but never actually been able to find a REAL need for me! :good:

thats really going to be the issue Dekers there isn't much to shoot that is between a Hare and a fox one is rimfire territory and the other .223, where the 17 may come in is for shooting corvids at ranges higher than rimfire where you want something using less powder and quieter than a .223. I'm undecided and don't think it would suit me but may well go to riflecraft anyway for the demo

thats really going to be the issue Dekers there isn't much to shoot that is between a Hare and a fox one is rimfire territory and the other .223, where the 17 may come in is for shooting corvids at ranges higher than rimfire where you want something using less powder and quieter than a .223. I'm undecided and don't think it would suit me but may well go to riflecraft anyway for the demo

Although I've got one on order, apparently in the first batch to be delivered, I'm not really sure if it will be useful or not.

As you know, I carry a rifle with me all day at work to shoot anything from rat to fox. Sometimes I take the HMR mostly I take the .204 of .222. The .204 superb but is really to heavy an outfit for this purpose so I tend to favor the .222 T3 but I often feel that in some situations it's a little to much gun.

So my thoughts were that the .17H could make a useful tool for my everyday work gun, a cross if you like between the HMR and the .222. Small and light enough as a truck gun with enough accuracy and clout out to say 250 yds. It may well fit the bill, only use will tell. On paper it looks good, fairly flat, not affected by wind to much and better ballistics than the .22 version.

I've ordered the Walking Varminter (the lightest and shortest one in the range) and 250 rounds so will give it a proper trial before deciding if I've wasted my money or not. Probably better to have bought a second .204 for the job.

I'm undecided at present although I have one on my app for renewal - I could avoid carrying 2 rifles for the normal range for foxes.

If there is any doubt about energy between 100 and 200 yds for fox - with 25 grain bullets? I might not bother if thats a problem - anyone at all any experience?