.177 Pellets for rabbits.

Bear68

If I could get Super H to shoot accurately I would use them for hunting. Sadly I have never managed decent accuracy with them in any rifle, I actually watched them corkscrewing towards paper targets.

Find the most accurate pellet you can and use it, the accuracy is the most important factor but if you find two equally accurate pellets use the one with the flattest trajectory - note that this is not necessarily the lightest pellet, some heavier pellets shoot flatter at the end of your range as they can hold energy better, I'm thinking specifically of the 9.5grn Logun Penetrator / Exterminator but there are others.

Many people find the JSB Exact / AA Field pellets work well, they would be my starting point if looking for an accurate pellet.

Try RWS super field , their better , as stated the H points dont group well , but are good close , for rats .

Ok so your telling the OP he is wrong and his pellet of choice dont actually shoot well like he says? But they are ok for short range rats, why because you think they expand and kill them quicker when they hit the vital spot and a domehead wont? or they perhaps penetrate less and deliver more hydrolic shock ?

Accuracy is biggest issue. Only problem with lighter pellets in my experience is that they are more wind effected so can be driven off course by a lighter wind or air current than a heavier pellet would be. For that reason when I hunted with .177 I used Penetrators at 9.5grm which were very accurate in my gun rather than 6.5grm Falcons that were brilliant on an indoor range.

Ok so your telling the OP he is wrong and his pellet of choice dont actually shoot well like he says? But they are ok for short range rats, why because you think they expand and kill them quicker when they hit the vital spot and a domehead wont? or they perhaps penetrate less and deliver more hydrolic shock ?

I think we all know that "hydraulic shock" is a myth at air-rifle velocities, but a pellet that expands and makes a bigger hole is a good idea - all other factors being equal. I've tried Super H and Bisley Pest Control in quite a few rifles, never had good accuracy. I don't know how well they group in the OPs rifle, but I would be surprised if they work as well as a top-class domed pellet like a Penetrator or a JSB variant.

Thanks for the replies. I tried to get hold of some of the pellets suggested, just to get a comparison, but my local shop didn't have any in stock (waiting for an order to come in). They recommended some Crosman Premier Domed (10.5gn), so I'll give them a go.

Edited by Bear68

I use H&N field target trophy and AA diablo,

but I wondering if a flat head pellet would be any good I know there meant for paper punching but .177 have a reputation for over penetrating, so would a flat head pellet put more energy into the quarry instead of just going straight through ?

In my experience flat heads are not accurate much over 10yrds or so (might be my gun but suspect it's the pellets). Have NEVER found a problem with over penetration though I've read about it many times. I think it's one of those rare problems that is much exaggerated but I always think about backstop just in case I miss rather than the pellet going through a rabbits skull and doing damage the other side!

H&N's are good my guns have never got on with AA's worth trying to source Penetrators to see if they work for your rifle. They seem a perfect weight to me, not so heavy that the trajectory gets really loopy but heavy enough not to effected by the slightest of air movement.

Pellets usually go right through the head, the "over penetration" that people moan about. I haven't found it a problem, it still kills them, and there are two holes for the blood to leak from.

When head-shooting squirrels the pellet sometimes drags some brain out of the exit hole - a good thing I think.

Pellets usually go right through the head, the "over penetration" that people moan about. I haven't found it a problem, it still kills them, and there are two holes for the blood to leak from.

When head-shooting squirrels the pellet sometimes drags some brain out of the exit hole - a good thing I think.

Ive found the same shooting rats. Overpenetrated ones are still as dead as as ones with only one pellet hole in them. As for pellets i use any domed pellet that is accurate. Hollow points and pointed pellets just arnt needed.

Thanks for the replies. I tried to get hold of some of the pellets suggested, just to get a comparison, but my local shop didn't have any in stock (waiting for an order to come in). They recommended some Crosman Premier Domed (10.5gn), so I'll give them a go.

No way, wrong pellet for the gun, the Premier 10.5 grain are too heavy for a springer, you are better with a 7.5 grain than these massive behemoth pellets. I know, I shoot the Premier Ultra Magnum 10.5 grain in my Super 10 .177, they work well because the gun is a PCP, PCP rifles work better with a heavier pellet and springers work better with a lighter pellet (it is the mechanics of how the power is delivered). You are better sticking to around the 7.5 grain weight with a springer .177!

Time of the month luv ?

Im telling him , and you if you want to listen , that H points group **** , a dome head will group better all day long .

Time of the month luv ?

Im telling him , and you if you want to listen , that H points group **** , a dome head will group better all day long .

Congratulations Grandad!

Back to the topic, why use anything else than a pellet that is accurate at all ranges?

If you change pellets for different scenarios you have different aimpoints, are you going to carry various pellets for each range or for the various targets you encounter? No, of course not! Find a decent domehead, the one that is most accurate in your gun and use that for everything. Anything else is just a gimmick and a waste of money.

+1 to Buster and timmytree, H points are unstable, a decent dome head will kill anything including rats, tree rats, flying rats, wood pigeons, collared doves, pheasants, rabbits, and hares. It is all about finding a pellet that works in your gun and is accurate at all ranges!

Edited by secretagentmole

Guest topshot_2k

Im new to hunting with air rifles but just started using AA Field and they are very good, accurate and deform well. I also tried some crosman domed which i got free with the gun and they are just as accurate! not sure on their weight but they certainly do the job.

I use Bisley Magnums or H+N Barracuda Match which really speaking are the same pellet!Think they are 10.9 gr and they have produced good resuls for me on Rabbits!

Could you tell me please how these two pellets are the same? As I have been using both and they seem different to me.

• 1 month later...

Could you tell me please how these two pellets are the same? As I have been using both and they seem different to me.

Well they seem pretty similar to me? Bisley magnums are 10.50gr and slightly pointed domes, and the H&N Barracuda Match are the same shape but 10.65? although those figures are going by Hawke Chairgun Pro, on uttings they're listed as the same gr.

http://www.uttings.c...ts-x-500-bm177/

http://www.uttings.c...-x-500-hnbm177/

They may behave differently in different guns though! I use the Bisley Mags as preference

Edited by chrisjpainter

What about h&n terminators i've never used them but a friend loved them ?

I'll not be using them any time soon! They look like they'd be good for short range, but even H&N seem to rate them as low on precision and on distance. Close distance rat splatting maybe, but I'd prefer a proper domed or magnum for rabbit hunting.

each to their own, but i'd bet that they're not too stable in the air - especially in .177 - and really not that great for normal bunny bashing range.

Edited by chrisjpainter