Home service of a shotgun

Drive By

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if anyone had seen any useful guides online in relation to servicing a shotgun?? I have tried searching the forum but there were so many unrelated topics returned I gave up...

This is probably the sort of thing that most people would leave to the 'professionals' but I'm always of a mind to give this kind of thing a go myself!

My gun is a Beretta 686e, probably unlikely to get a specific service guide but I thought (hoped) that there may be something a little more generic that might give general hints and tips.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

do you have the right turnscrews?v.easy to trash a screwhead.A service by a gunsmith costs @ £90-£100..and they know what to look for once inside?Do you have a specific reason you want to do it/ie is there a problem/fault?As it is a pretty good/valuable gun am not sure it is good call.Numerous books available as had same thought as you years ago,but there are certain tools/spring compressors etc which I doubt you have.Get your local gunsmith to break the gundown in front of you..whilst not the most complicated mechanism you could do more damage than you think.

I generally take the stock and forend off. I then use a compressed air line to blow any dirt out of the mechanism - particularly the firing pin holes and trigger mechanism. I then spray them with WD40 or equivalent and then blow the excess off. I lightly grease the joints and re-assemble

I'm just interested in how things work and like to be able to fix stuff myself. Realise it's probably not the best idea to be messing about with it having no experience. It's the postion I started at with cars/computers/consoles - no previous experience but thanks to the internet and Hayne's manuals I have learned quite a lot.

The action has just become very stiff on my gun to the point where sometimes it takes more force than i would like to get it open - frustrating when on a decent drive!! I should have got it serviced over the close season but got distracted by many other things and forgot.

Maybe I can persuade Haynes to do a manual for my gun!

Might be worth me seeing if there is a local gun smith who would mind me observing whilst they do it. Although the few I have met seem to like clouding their trade in mystery...

Last time I had one with an issue it was stripped cleaned and a spring replaced for £50 inc vat

There are books you can buy some beretta have a 10 year warranty and I think a condition of this may be a service ???

YOu can get an exploded view here http://www.berettaservices.com/index.aspx?m=53&did=268

Edited by HDAV

You need a few thing before you start:

Correct gun smith screw drivers

Pin punches

Small hammer

Exploded diagram

Take the wood off and take a picture of the action, this will help at the end.

Work your way through taking your time to dismantle. Very easy keep parts together and wright things down to help.

Just done it my self on a Lincoln 10b.

All sorted now and works a treat!!!

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if anyone had seen any useful guides online in relation to servicing a shotgun?? I have tried searching the forum but there were so many unrelated topics returned I gave up...

This is probably the sort of thing that most people would leave to the 'professionals' but I'm always of a mind to give this kind of thing a go myself!

My gun is a Beretta 686e, probably unlikely to get a specific service guide but I thought (hoped) that there may be something a little more generic that might give general hints and tips.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

I generally take the stock and forend off. I then use a compressed air line to blow any dirt out of the mechanism - particularly the firing pin holes and trigger mechanism. I then spray them with WD40 or equivalent and then blow the excess off. I lightly grease the joints and re-assemble

I USE WD 40 AS A MOISTURE DISPLACER ON CAR DISTRIBUTERS, NEVER USED IT ON A GUN , IS IT A LUBERICANT?

Big debate over the suitability of WD40 for guns some swear by it others wouldn't touch it with baikal.....

I started using Q20 as the south african military use it according to the blurb and it sinks in water so you would think it would displace water better than WD40

Anyone else tried it?

http://www.q20oil.com/About.aspx