Fox snare????

bazzab

Hi all, a chap on another forum i use sometimes is having issues with old Charlie fox at his chickens etc. He says he can't use any sort of rifle due to road right next door.

My question is what's the situation with snares? Are they legal etc?

I don't agree with them what so ever myself and would never use one. he states he caught one in them so far!!

snares used well are not cruel at all, Proper country foxes wont enter cages unless they are realy big and been out a far while. The big issue is when used closer to civilisation catching the wrong thing. With the rise in badgers these days i should be very carefull in many areas rural or otherwise.

basically what i am saying is right place with correct know how. Running snares have been a favoured meathod of live capture of such animals in the past. Personally i havent used them in over 20yrs but wouldn't hesitate on the right ground

Snares used properly are humane. The problem is using them properly. There is a code of good snaring practice (BASC I think), and they have to be set very precisely. I seem to remember that they need to be set with the bottom of the wire loop an exact distance from the ground to avoid non target captures, etc.

Snares used properly are humane. The problem is using them properly. There is a code of good snaring practice (BASC I think), and they have to be set very precisely. I seem to remember that they need to be set with the bottom of the wire loop an exact distance from the ground to avoid non target captures, etc.

Its of limited use, location is the key to not getting accidental non target animals. Pop holes in corners of fences, hedges etc are key to sucsess no point putting all your snares full leg hieight there. Hands on experiance and good risk management is paramount

There are lots of ways to attempt to catch a fox, few can be really species specific except shooting.

Like it or not snaring is legal, but there are rules, if you think it is cruel, that is your call, Collarum is first class but a lot more expensive than a normal snare.

Live Traps can work, but they can also be very time consuming and frustrating for the client and pest controller.

Fox repellents are not a favourite of mine but can have their uses, and don't forget drop boxes, expensive and hard work to site but usually bring good results when PROPERLY sited!

Or are they supposed to dispatch the fox?

Snares are good used in he right place, very effective at times.

The old style snares were the best, self locking, the more the Fox pulled the tighter the snare got.

When used with a killing stake it was a good combination, no Fox thrashing about tearing turf up, it was at the stake.

Mmmm i think im a bit confused chaps. When a snare is used correctly surely it injures and holds fox in a fair.old amount of pain until you dispatch the next day? Or are they supposed to dispatch the fox?

Please excuse my total lack.of knowledge.

By law the snare can not kill the fox, nor can it be set in a such a way that a fox can injure itself for example on a fence. The snare simply holds the fox ready for dispatch with a shotgun, they are cheap and easy to use. We have around 40 out at any given time on my estate and they work 24/7.

Mmmm i think im a bit confused chaps. When a snare is used correctly surely it injures and holds fox in a fair.old amount of pain until you dispatch the next day? Or are they supposed to dispatch the fox?

Please excuse my total lack.of knowledge.

Snares shouldn't kill the fox. Self locking ones can do but these are illegal. All snares sold in the UK must be free running, which means that they will slacken off if the animal stops struggling, which they will do. When legal snares are used, they just hold the animal at the site until someone dispatches it.

I am not against snares but personally would never use them.

Anything that holds any animal in a noose, loop, jaws, etc can not seriously be called humane.

They do a job but dont call them humane. In order to keep the animal fixed the loop has to be tight enough that it cant slip free that is going to involve pain.

There is no way to minimise the amount of time an animal is snared without being on constant patrol which IN THE MAIN simply doesnt happen.

Cage traps do not in the whole harm animals. people would argue that captured animals in cages suffer and I dont doubt the stress and anxiety is pretty high until they settle down.

what interests me more is why your friend seems to think no firearm could be used due to the proximity of the road.

I have shot foxes on a patch of grass no more than 2ftx2ft in amongst buildings.

find a suitable soft spot for the bullet to end up, bait the area, get up high, sit and wait.

traps dont always work

I am not against snares but personally would never use them.

Anything that holds any animal in a noose, loop, jaws, etc can not seriously be called humane.

They do a job but dont call them humane. In order to keep the animal fixed the loop has to be tight enough that it cant slip free that is going to involve pain.

There is no way to minimise the amount of time an animal is snared without being on constant patrol which IN THE MAIN simply doesnt happen.

Cage traps do not in the whole harm animals. people would argue that captured animals in cages suffer and I dont doubt the stress and anxiety is pretty high until they settle down.

what interests me more is why your friend seems to think no firearm could be used due to the proximity of the road.

I have shot foxes on a patch of grass no more than 2ftx2ft in amongst buildings.

find a suitable soft spot for the bullet to end up, bait the area, get up high, sit and wait.

traps dont always work

Bewsher500

Any individuals interpretation of the word Humane is down to them, the Goverments interpretation is that these are Humane, the Government does not approve any trapping etc method if it is not considered Humane, snares are approved. Dogs collars are Tight, but it doesn't seem to do them much harm and few escape from them, snares must legally have a stop on them these days in Scotland, and I can't remember the last time I saw one that didn't have a stop. :hmm::good:

It is a legal requirement that certain traps are inspected a MINIMUM of once every 24 hours, not just Snares, Europe wants this changed to a compulsory twice in every 24 hours.

Worth a read......

http://www.gwct.org.uk/documents/fox_snaring_guidelines_2012lr_2.pdf

:good: ATB!

I don't use snares personally but that does not imply I know nothing about them. I have used them years ago and have recovered the consequences of poorly attended and set ones.

The stops on snares give a fixed loop size that is still smaller than the target quarry head/neck. They are there to stop strangulation and the entrapment of the wrong quarry.

In Scotland there are restrictions that at some point will undoubtedly be rolled out in England. The 2010 Snare order is a test run for a national restriction.

leporid (rabbit) snares should be fitted with a (deer) stop 13cm from the running end and fox snares should be fitted with a (deer) stop 23cm (9") from the running end.

This gives a noose about the size of a 50p piece for a rabbit snare and under 7cm across for a fox.

The most common wire is 6 strand brass wire approximately 1.5-2mm wide

Now the last foxes I shot were all thicker than 7cm across the neck.

Foxes also on the whole don't sit placidly like rabbits often do when well snared. they thrash around and pull for some time.

I use larsens and fox traps. I make sure I check them twice a day at least and they have water in them at all times. not because I have too but because I should.

I don't have anything against the use of snares, don't judge anyone who uses them,

They may be considered humane by the Government, but then some Governments consider all sorts of things humane. doesn't make it so.

Anything that can legally see an animal in a tight wire loop, less than 7cm across made from wire thin enough to cut skin for a period of 24hrs does not strike me as my first choice for dispatching target species humanely.

Dog collars are tight, as can leads be.

I think if you take your energetic dog for a stroll down the park on some 1.5mm wire with a "7cm" stop on it, some RSPCA do gooder will try and take your dogs away.

I wouldnt put a wire leash on my dogs and I doubt you would