Disco td5 - maybe my next car

fieldwanderer

Had a 300tdi for a couple of years and knew I'd regret selling it!

So, thinking about replacing my current car with a td5 but I've never really payed much attention to them. I'd put 2" lift springs on it so no worries with the stupid air suspension. Any other known problems?

A cousin had one that "blew up" I was told the story but wasn't really listening, something to do with something oil related blocking up and starving the engine of oil - which then obviously seized, sounded like it was something that's not unusual with the td5, any ideas?

I know a few people with TD5 Disco's and from talking to them, its either a car you love or hate.

One friend has had no end of problems with his 7 gearboxes etc. while the other claims his TD5 is mor reliable than his old 300tdi.

Guess it just depends if you are lucky to get a good one.

They do have a few common issues such as oil in the wiring loom. and suspension issues.

Take one for a long test drive if you like it get it there is enough people around who can help with any problems that might arrise.

The oil thing story could have something to do with the oil pump bolt comming loose and blocking the oil pump. Most td5's have it replaced by now.

I drive my def td5 for a few weeks now and love it! Can't really tell anything about relliability, but can tell you it's not that different to à 200tdi or 300tdi to work on. Mine has been totaly taken apart and is easy to put together again. Only problem we had was setting the timing since this is done by à timingsensor instead of the pump: you need à special tool for this. Totaly different character in comparison to the TDI 's...

Really nice engine to drive, and very nice soound!

I've had my 53 plate for a few months now, drive it on the motorway every day to work and used for shooting too. Can't fault it so far, excellent to drive and decent on the fuel economy, mine returns around 32mpg mixed motorway and urban.

Before you dismiss the air suspension drive one with and one without. If you are going to use it purely off road then I can understand you not wanting it, but on the road the air suspension makes cornering so much better keeping the very flat around bends.

Best advice I could give is to go on the forum The D2Boys Club and read up on what to look for. The site is dedicated to the Discovery 2's and is full of very knowledgeable people. http://www.thed2boysclub.co.uk

See this also:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/220525-contemplating-a-4x4-got-a-discovery/page__hl__discovery

Cos

Edited by Cosd

i've had mine since 2009 and i not had too many problems. mine is a o3 with 120000 miles on it. i pull a caravan and occasionally a ifor williams trailer. i previously had the 300 tdi which i was also fond of. the 300 was more diy mechanic friendly as the td5 uses ecu for engine management and fuel injection etc, but no doubt not a problem to a proper mechanic like yourself. mine has had new injector seals and injector wiring loom{common apperently}. other than that i keep it well serviced. mine has spring suspension but has active corner inhancement which also helps on cornering.{ i am waiting for that to go wrong lol.} all in all i love mine and so does the wife who also drives it. if you buy one try to find out if it's had a clutch as they quite often need a flywheel at the same time. mine only goes off road occaisonally for a bit of lamping, but was great in the snow. i could go on and on but all of what i have to say about td5 disco's is good :good:

If you intend to use it as an off road toy as well then be weary of any deep water as if it gets into the cab the ecu is quite low (can't remember where exactly), But just rough tracks and fields it should be fine . Remember it is a landrover so it WILL go wrong, that said I love my 300 though i do spend a fair ammount of time under it as well as in it, just part of the fun!, but on saying that mine is used off road proper.

I've had two, and can't fault them. The things to watch out for are, 2nd gear sync, make sure it's a nice smooth change. Check the wiring loom into the ECU as it passes over the rocker cover and oil can migrate into the ECU (behind drivers side headlamp), leaking sun roof, and check all warning lights (google three amigo's).

Fuel wise I get 31-32mpg when I do a run up to Scotland, mix of motorways and A roads with a couple of hundred miles of single track roads mixed in.

Both mine have had ACE and it does make a difference, never driven a series 2 with air suspension. I've owned a 300tdi, 2 td5's (still got one) and have driven numerous D3 and D4's. They have progressively got better without loosing the Discovery feel. But they have got progressively more complicated with electronics which scared me from buying one just in case anything went wrong.

If you intend to use it as an off road toy as well then be weary of any deep water as if it gets into the cab the ecu is quite low (can't remember where exactly), But just rough tracks and fields it should be fine . Remember it is a landrover so it WILL go wrong, that said I love my 300 though i do spend a fair ammount of time under it as well as in it, just part of the fun!, but on saying that mine is used off road proper.

ECU is bonnet high so truck would need wading kit on or else you'll knack engine never mind ecu !!

Had a 300tdi for a couple of years and knew I'd regret selling it!

So, thinking about replacing my current car with a td5 but I've never really payed much attention to them. I'd put 2" lift springs on it so no worries with the stupid air suspension. Any other known problems?

A cousin had one that "blew up" I was told the story but wasn't really listening, something to do with something oil related blocking up and starving the engine of oil - which then obviously seized, sounded like it was something that's not unusual with the td5, any ideas?

Buy wisely (nothing before 2003 unless you wanted head gasket probs), do the mods as has been said here and maintain it and you'll be fine. Had 3 td5s nothing too major........... airbags are easy to repair and are very comfortable both on and off road but not suitable if you use it to the extreme week in week out

Buy wisely (nothing before 2003 unless you wanted head gasket probs), do the mods as has been said here and maintain it and you'll be fine. Had 3 td5s nothing too major........... airbags are easy to repair and are very comfortable both on and off road but not suitable if you use it to the extreme week in week out

Sadly, 2003's out of my price range - I'd be looking at between '99 and '01 really. If the head gasket goes, I can sort it myself no problem but if it's something that tends to reoccur I'd probably think twice about buying one in the first place :/

Sadly, 2003's out of my price range - I'd be looking at between '99 and '01 really. If the head gasket goes, I can sort it myself no problem but if it's something that tends to reoccur I'd probably think twice about buying one in the first place :/

Proceed with caution my friend. I'm told early (possibly all) td5 heads shouldnt / can't be skimmed but if you can find a good un, get it pressure tested and replace plastic (unbelievably stupid, pennypinching design fault) dowels with metal ones (IIRC defender td5s were metal ........ why def and not disco???)

Proceed with caution my friend. I'm told early (possibly all) td5 heads shouldnt / can't be skimmed but if you can find a good un, get it pressure tested and replace plastic (unbelievably stupid, pennypinching design fault) dowels with metal ones (IIRC defender td5s were metal ........ why def and not disco???)

All early TD5's have plastic dowels defender and disco, many people have skimmed the heads on them successfully, my 2000 TD5 is on nearly 190,000 and still on the original head.

£3000's my limit, thankyou though.

My brother found one that's really been looked after- waxoyl and underseal annually too, no faults mentioned 92000miles £3000.

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to get that and (assuming its not already been done) change the head gasket, dowels and timing chain (kit) before I use it much and before the weather turns sour? Opinions please?

to be honest mate,most td5s on that mileage and year (assuming its about 2000) will have suffered most of the engine/head probs already and be pretty much sorted,i wouldnt buy it and start pulling it to bits straight away. buy it, drive it,enjoy it and do not worry too much.you will love it!!