USA visa

pintail

dont know if any one can tell me how hard it is to get a visa to the USA, i had a minor conviction over 30years ago and am looking to go to the states, and have been told as i have a conviction i have to apply for a visa, and cant go under the 'visa waiver' programme, just didn't know if its worth not declaring the conviction or go to the trouble of getting a visa, any advice would be appreciated, cheers.

Don't know about convictions but I travel to the US for short business trips which I've done for years. On the last one they were concerned that I was being paid by a US company which meant I should have applied for a work visa or had a letter of invitation - never needed one before. As I was only there for 24 hours they said "you can't do that but we won't refer you" whatever that meant. However, a woman in a similar situation got turned back. I really don't think it's worth taking the risk and I would do it by the book. It may be a hassle this end but that's nothing compared to flying all the way there and getting turned back at immigration. I suspect you would also need to pay for the new flight and that won't be a budget deal at short notice. Get in touch with the US embassy, do all they ask and don't take the risk, would be my advice. Besides, if you try an illegal entry it will be on your file should you want to travel again.

a chap i know had a convition for being in possesion of cannabis for "personall use "

he took his family to Florida last year but he did,nt bother to declare his convition on any of his forms-- at the airport in the States he was stopped and questioned about it,, then refused entry !!! the authorities would allow his wife and family to continue but they declined to, so all the family flew home the same day !!!! that was one VERY expensive day trip, they lost all the hotel costs, theme park ticket etc !!!!

shaun

I went to the embassy to get a visa a few years back as I wanted to stay there for more than 3 months.

In short – you wait in a lot of queues.

Then you speak to a chap through a glass window (much like in a bank).

If you can prove you’re a respectable citizen with spending money and that you have a mortgage/life/family at home then you’ll get a visa.

I only wanted a short term one but they gave me a 10 year one.

They basically just want to check you’re unlikely to commit crime there and/or decide to stay there indefinitely.

Just been having a look through.......strangely a firearms offence is not considered a bar to entry under the waiver program as it does not come under moral turpitude..(gotta love yankspeak)

Neither do these below.

Breach of the peace

Carrying a concealed weapon

Desertion from the Armed Forces

Disorderly conduct

Drunk or reckless driving

Driving while license suspended or revoked

Drunkenness

Escape from prison

Failure to report for military induction

False statements (not amounting to perjury or involving fraud)

Firearm violations

Gambling violations

Immigration violations

Liquor violations

Loan sharking

Lottery violations

Minor traffic violations

Possessing burglar tools (without intent to commit burglary)

Smuggling and customs violations (where intent to commit fraud is absent)

Tax evasion (without intent to defraud)

Vagrancy

Assault (simple) (any assault, which does not require an evil intent or depraved motive, although it may involve the use of a weapon, which is neither dangerous nor deadly)

Yet a tax evader, lewdness....(thoughts as well as actions apparently)...paternity fraud..????.

The assault one gets me....as long as it wasnt too bad you are ok.......hmm ok then, I hit him over the head with a piece of wood.......OK sir, youre in.

The USA really baffles me sometimes.

thanks for all the replies, i think i will go and get a visa and not take the risk of being put back on a plane and told to leave the country, cheers.

Hi,

You don't have to "go" anywhere and (assuming you are a UK citizen?) you don't need a "visa" as you will travel under the visa waiver programme.

Just fill in the ETSA form (link is posted above) and you will be approved (or not!) online & it will give you authority to travel. ESTA APPROVAL DOES NOT GUARANTEE ENTRY - but if you are just there on normal holidays or business you will be fine.

Don't forget to print a copy of the ESTA out & take it with you?

Edited by Eyefor

Hi,

You don't have to "go" anywhere and (assuming you are a UK citizen?) you don't need a "visa" as you will travel under the visa waiver programme.

Just fill in the ETSA form (link is posted above) and you will be approved (or not!) online & it will give you authority to travel. ESTA APPROVAL DOES NOT GUARANTEE ENTRY - but if you are just there on normal holidays or business you will be fine.

Not that simple

From the ESTA website:-

A visa must be requested if the traveler:

Has a criminal record or other condition making them ineligible for a visa

Then look here for the definition of criminal record http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/ineligibilities/ineligibilities_1364.html

Hi,

Wrong in this case