How accurate are shotgun slugs really ?

Same as anything else, getting a gun/ammo combination that works well together, which is further complicated if your shotgun has a multichoke barrel as that puts another dimension on it. Generally the more open the choke the better though. Saying that i'm a lazy sod and i use 1/2 modified for birdshot stages in PSG matches and as i can't be bothered to swap my chokes i just leave it in for the slug stages too and it seems to work ok.

I use a Benelli M2 (with 1/2 choke) and Geco Coated Comeptition Slug. If i was shooting from a steady stance i'd expect 1-2" @ 25m <5" @ 50m

Hi Matt,

I have used slugs for 20 years, how accurate they are vaies a lot on the type of cartridge and shotgun, but I never shot anything that was more than 60 yards from me an always in dense woodland. Perfomance...again that varies a lot on condition and type of cartridge, I normally use Federal, winchester, gualandi, Sauvestre and so on, in case you will ever use one remember to use cilimder barrel or choke or you can also buy reduce slugs to fit the fixed chokes that you have on your shotgun.

Mark

I've managed to hit standard sized clays with them at 75 yards through my Breda semi auto - and before anyone asks, Yes I do have them listed on my FAC!

What are you permitted to shoot brenekke's at ?are they conditioned for inanimate targets only at ?you have never struck me as a PSG type !

What are you permitted to shoot brenekke's at ?are they conditioned for inanimate targets only at ?you have never struck me as a PSG type !

Obviously appearances and forum impressions can be deceiving. I have a Section 1 shotgun and slugs on my FAC for PSG (Amongst other things)! As far as I know you can in certain circumstances get single slug on your FAC for deer, but I can not be certain of that - Maybe someone in the know can put me right on that.

Edit: Just an afterthought - I did mention on a thread about single slugs not so long ago that I had thought about making a video showing how to mould and load single slug shotgun cartridges but I stated that I had thought better of the idea as it might have encouraged some that do not have single slug on their ticket to make and use them illegally! I'm sure that if anyone wants to do a search on Single Slugs that they would easily find the thread.

Edited by Frenchieboy

Would it be possible to get fac .410 with slugs for fox on your ticket?

I expect you could get it for humanly dispatching trapped foxes without a problem, but I wouldn't expect to get them for normal fox shooting. It'd be interesting to see if they allow it though, I can't see any reason not to...

I do wonder about the availability of .410 slugs though - and the cost of them!

I expect you could get it for humanly dispatching trapped foxes without a problem, but I wouldn't expect to get them for normal fox shooting. It'd be interesting to see if they allow it though, I can't see any reason not to...

I do wonder about the availability of .410 slugs though - and the cost of them!

Reason I ask is I was going to apply for a .22hornet for fox/vermin but due to some land falling through that's not an option for now, this means I'm left with just my 20b for fox and can't find anything loaded with a bigger shot than no4's. Also due to the land falling through I'm left in a position where I might have to give up my rimfire due to lack of land when i renew in march, so I thought if I did a 1-1 variation for .410 with slugs for fox and vermin it would solve my 40-50yrd fox problem and keep my ticket open till I get more land then I can put in another variation for .22lr and hornet.

Would this be acceptable?

Sorry mate should have made it a bit more clear I've got over 240acre where I can use shotgun the land issue is with my rimfire, due to someone moving I've lost some land as its now shot by a keeper.

I agree shotgun with 4's is man enough but I won't shoot them past 30ish yards as don't think it's fair so I've had to let a few walk which I couldn't call closer.

Gary

You have say why dispatch work 6s are fine in a trap walking the hedgerows 4s in a 12 bore work well.

I have slug for boar and deer but only ever used it on the continent tho

I couldn't agree more about 6s being used for cage caught foxes. Having seen first hand what a single 12 bore slug can do to a 45 gallon drum full of waste oil at 50 yards it is the last thing I would want to use on a fox in a trap!

Hi frenchie

I wouldn't be using it on trapped fox, it would purely be for fox out to 50-60yrds. Sub 30yrds I'd just use my normal cartridges (28g no5s or 32g no4s). It's more a way of keeping my ticket until I can find more land but also would serve a genuine purpose.

Thought it might be worth a try if I've not had any luck finding land by march as a variation would be easier than reaplying for my fac a few months down the line.

Gary

Reason I ask is I was going to apply for a .22hornet for fox/vermin but due to some land falling through that's not an option for now, this means I'm left with just my 20b for fox and can't find anything loaded with a bigger shot than no4's. Also due to the land falling through I'm left in a position where I might have to give up my rimfire due to lack of land when i renew in march, so I thought if I did a 1-1 variation for .410 with slugs for fox and vermin it would solve my 40-50yrd fox problem and keep my ticket open till I get more land then I can put in another variation for .22lr and hornet.

Would this be acceptable?

I'm not sure really, I can only guess.

If you were asking for slugs for fox and vermin I'd say that you will still need to have land (giving you good reason), if you had land that would be enough for slugs, it should also be enough for a rifle, which would be much easier to get permission for than slugs.

If you've got permission on 240 acres, why can't you put down for a rifle on that? Does the owner not want rifles used on it or something daft like that? If your mainly concerned with keeping your FAC then you only need to get 'permission', not to actually use the gun on that land.

Would it involve using a .410 without sights ? That might be tricky at 50-60yds.

I would probbably go for a pump action and red dot sight to try and get the most out of them.

I'm not sure really, I can only guess.

If you were asking for slugs for fox and vermin I'd say that you will still need to have land (giving you good reason), if you had land that would be enough for slugs, it should also be enough for a rifle, which would be much easier to get permission for than slugs.

If you've got permission on 240 acres, why can't you put down for a rifle on that? Does the owner not want rifles used on it or something daft like that? If your mainly concerned with keeping your FAC then you only need to get 'permission', not to actually use the gun on that land.

Right, I've got permission to shoot crow, pigeon and rabbit with shotgun (day time) and another chap has permission for lamping with rifles, I was giving permission to use my rimfire providing it was ok with the other chap and we swapped details for safety purposes which makes sense but the other chap isn't intrested as he wants to keep it to himself. I can't say I blame him really, but the annoying thing is that when I mentioned it to him before approaching the farmer he didn't object at all yet now he's got the final say it seems to have become an issue.

I think I might look at the permission only route as you say mate, it's gonna be better than messing around if I don't ned to.