Firing shotgun within 50m of a road?

MagiKelly

There are two areas on my permission. One well away from any roads but another is bounded by roads on two sides. The best place for decoying this bit and to provide 300 yards plus of safe drop for the shot is at the hedge bounding the road.

I seem to remember something about not shooting within 50 yards of a road but have never seen anything referring to this when looking. I know I can't have shot falling onto land I do not have permission which is part of why I want to shoot with the road at my back.

So my question is it legal to shoot a shotgun within 50 yards of a road on land you have permission? I am shooting in Scotland if that makes a difference.

SHOOTING NEAR HIGHWAYS (E.G. ROADS & CARRIAGEWAYS)

In England & Wales it is an offence without lawful authority or reasonable excuse to

discharge any firearm within fifty feet of the centre of a highway which consists of

or comprises a carriageway, and in consequence a user of the carriageway is

injured, interrupted or endangered. [section 161(2) of the Highways Act 1980 as

amended]. It is important to remember that the discharge of a firearm is not

prohibited in itself. It must also be proved that there was an injury, or that

someone’s passage was interrupted or interfered with e.g. they have been forced to

make a detour.

Edited by storme37

So my question is it legal to shoot a shotgun within 50 yards of a road on land you have permission? I am shooting in Scotland if that makes a difference.

I think it's no shooting within 50 yards of a road if it causes hindrance or alarm to people using the road.

The 50 rule seems a bit nonsensical for this reason: "and in consequence a user of the carriageway is injured, interrupted or endangered."

Forget distance, I would have thought that discharging a firearm any distance from a road, which led to the above, would be cause for concern and is probably illegal.

Indeed common sense should prevail.50ft seems near.WHY not ring your local FAO to get their view.After all they may have a different County Police regulation as here I have been told 75m away from a highway or public right of way.So there is a varied distance throughout England/Wales/Scotland...BUT use your common sense...Be safe. ???

See that's what I want to avoid is a FAO giving me some made up figure and me having to abide by it. If I had to be 75 yards from the road thereis nowhere I could safely shoot this field without shot falling on roads or other properties.

75 yards is BS.

Forget the legal stipulations for a moment and think of the common sense view.

50 foot from the centre of the highway is going to put you very close the road. Can you guarantee that you won't be dropping birds onto the road whilst decoying so close to it? Can you be certain that your gunshots won't cause alarm or distress to the road users including pedestrians and cyclists?

Of course it's possible that a wounded bird could drop into the road wherever you shoot from, but it's really a question of limiting those risks and showing that you've taken those precautions should the worst happen.

use common sense is the answer.If it is a rarely used country lane then v different to a busy road.

Saw a young lad being set up over the weekend right next ie 30 feet from A29.......asking for hassle..imagine dropping a high woody on the visor of a speeding motorbike....sure its unlikely by why chance it.