problem fox in garden

nobbyathome

hi guys/girlies i live in a normal semi on an estate and have prolems with far to many bloody foxes digging everything up crapping everywhere and generally making the garden stink of fox i am far to close to my neighbourand and dont want to upset any of them to shoot the foxes is it legal for me to trap them in a humane cage then take them in the car into the countryside and shoot them ?

Yep

:hmm: :hmm: What? We have very different experiences, who the **** catches and releases, and if the fox hates mesh so much how come there are no traps that I am aware of with a different type of base, foxes walk on everything including aviaries and chicken coups, pet cages etc, plenty of wire and mesh there, mesh doesn't bother them my way, they must all be tarts in your area.

And the reason mine get washed it to get rid of any blood, my foxes don't get a chance to remember anything!

Did you not see Laurel and Hardy... Aka Reg and Colin on "meet the foxes"? There are plenty of bunny huggers who catch and release. Have you never read the posts here about people driving vans down lanes and releasing several at a time? It happens!

All I know is that my catch success went up greatly with the cage floor covered. What can I say? I don't know why and can only guess... I'm not a fox or a scientist after all! Perhaps you should try it and see how it works for you? It's easy enough to do and may well get results for you too. :good:

hi guys/girlies i live in a normal semi on an estate and have prolems with far to many bloody foxes digging everything up crapping everywhere and generally making the garden stink of fox i am far to close to my neighbourand and dont want to upset any of them to shoot the foxes is it legal for me to trap them in a humane cage then take them in the car into the countryside and shoot them ?

Yep

:hmm: :hmm: Perhaps that needs qualifying, get a gun out and shoot a fox in the local nature reserve will likely find you in a whole world of trouble.

If you cart them off into the countryside you must be very certain that the land you are on is yours to do such a deed! :good:

Did you not see Laurel and Hardy... Aka Reg and Colin on "meet the foxes"? There are plenty of bunny huggers who catch and release. Have you never read the posts here about people driving vans down lanes and releasing several at a time? It happens!

All I know is that my catch success went up greatly with the cage floor covered. What can I say? I don't know why and can only guess... I'm not a fox or a scientist after all! Perhaps you should try it and see how it works for you? It's easy enough to do and may well get results for you too. :good:

Round my way I think they have more sense, I make it clear to my clients that the fox will be permanently relocated to Heaven when caught.

Like I have said in at least 2 posts above, we have different experiences and if it works for you then fine!

I'm not about to start doing any extra work when I don't have a problem! :good:

It still begs the question, why are there no other floor types on traps if the wire is an issue, which it isn't for me, and apparently all these Fox lovers your way successfully catch them in wire based cages from your assumptions? :hmm: :hmm:

I don't know why this works for you but I could throw a couple of suggestions out, first smell, it will change the smell of the cage, and also potentially attract more fresh bait, slugs, snails, worms, whatever!

Could be something to do with it as you don't wash your cages, do you not dispatch in the trap, do you never get blood/brain matter in the trap, the fox will tend to be reluctant to enter a cage/trap that smells of his deceased relations, so this could help mask the smell! :hmm::good:

Just the same, if you are happy crack on! :good:

Edited by Dekers

I cage trapped a few, but then there was only a wily dog fox left that seemed too clever to go in the cage. Perseverance is the key, as I could see him lurking round the cage most nights on my CCTV. Last fox I caught before him was on 11th October and it took till 3rd november for this old fox to find it too irresistable.

Never washed my cage, and the foxes didn't seem bothered about bits of fox in there from before. Had 4 on 4 consecutive nights with blood/stuff still in there from the day before.

As Dekers says, different things work in different places. You just need to experiment to find the one that suits you.

No, I don't relocate them.

Edited by walshie

I cage trapped a few, but then there was only a wily dog fox left that seemed too clever to go in the cage. Perseverance is the key, as I could see him lurking round the cage most nights on my CCTV. Last fox I caught before him was on 11th October and it took till 3rd november for this old fox to find it too irresistable.

Never washed my cage, and the foxes didn't seem bothered about bits of fox in there from before. Had 4 on 4 consecutive nights with blood/stuff still in there from the day before.

As Dekers says, different things work in different places. You just need to experiment to find the one that suits you.

No, I don't relocate them.

Well, you are obviously doing something right! :good: :good:

Were those 4 in your "garden", what bait did you use?

Cheers

Edit: Just noticed your profile says Surrey, are you there? All part of my manor as well, so this is interesting! :good:

Edited by Dekers

Well, you are obviously doing something right! :good: :good:

Were those 4 in your "garden", what bait did you use?

Cheers

Edit: Just noticed your profile says Surrey, are you there? All part of my manor as well, so this is interesting! :good:

Yep I'm in Surrey.

All of the foxes were cage trapped in my back garden.

When I got 4 on 4 nights, the bait was pigeon, pigeon, squirrel and dog food (because I'd run out of pigeon and squirrel :lol: ) in that order. The first of these was a massive vixen and the other 3 looked like they might have been last years cubs.

My area is absolutely riddled with foxes.

Just to add, they don't seem to care what I bait the cage with as I have had them on leftovers, chicken carcases, catfood, tuna, and pork fat as well as the above.

Edited by walshie

Yep I'm in Surrey.

All of the foxes were cage trapped in my back garden.

When I got 4 on 4 nights, the bait was pigeon, pigeon, squirrel and dog food (because I'd run out of pigeon and squirrel :lol: ) in that order. The first of these was a massive vixen and the other 3 looked like they might have been last years cubs.

My area is absolutely riddled with foxes.

Just to add, they don't seem to care what I bait the cage with as I have had them on leftovers, chicken carcases, catfood, tuna, and pork fat as well as the above.

Cheers

Yeh, they seem to take most things, but strange as it may seem I don't recall ever trying pigeon. :good:

• 1 month later...