problem fox in garden

nobbyathome

hi guys/girlies i live in a normal semi on an estate and have prolems with far to many bloody foxes digging everything up crapping everywhere and generally making the garden stink of fox i am far to close to my neighbourand and dont want to upset any of them to shoot the foxes is it legal for me to trap them in a humane cage then take them in the car into the countryside and shoot them ?

I'd set up a cage trap to sort them. It will be a battle but you will dent the numbers after a while. Traps work even for the most experienced of foxes if they are set correctly and left alone. Town foxes are usually easy especially if you feed them a bit outside the cage.

Main suggestions would be to cover the bottom so they don't feel the cage (turf works well). Then I would poke a few sticks through the bars (keeping them away from the trigger and locking bars), stick a sheet of weed membrane or a bin liner over it and then cover it with brush, logs, empty the mower grass box on top of it etc and also lob some stuff in there so it doesn't look like an empty space. You need to stop it from looking like that square wire box that they've had a near miss with or they will never go in. Make it look interesting/natural.

Shooting wise you can move them but not release them. Taking them to your local farm is allowed but then you have to move the cage which will then make it not work for a while. I prefer to plug them on site, drag them out with a hooked stick and reset. Do that in the dark really early/late with a .22lr sub and the neighbours won't even know you've done it. The last one I shot I did within 20 feet of the woman next door who was hanging out her washing. The loudest part is the impact and that doesn't sound like a gunshot at all. They'll just think you're doing some DIY!

exactly the way NJC bear in mind these critters have a habit of ******* and crapping if you put them in the back of a motor far better done on site. Though I will no doubt get a torrent of comments on this but a .22 airgun pellet at point blank range will do the job and safely, obviously if you have an open FAC and as .22lr or hmr then so much the better. Worth also noting the hmr at point blank doesn't sound much louder then a .22lr.

You will find that traps might catch the young ones initially, but they loose their effectiveness over time as they wise up to them.

I seem to recall that's only the case for foxes in the countryside, as they are truly wild and are afraid of things like cage traps. Foxes living in urban areas will go into cage traps.

You will find that traps might catch the young ones initially, but they loose their effectiveness over time as they wise up to them.

:hmm: :hmm: I've missed something obviously, mine get shot after capture, they don't have a chance to wise up, and the next generation know nothing of the past! :good:

But without doubt the Young tend to be the first caught! Perhaps some of the older ones have been caught and released, big mistake!

I'd set up a cage trap to sort them. It will be a battle but you will dent the numbers after a while. Traps work even for the most experienced of foxes if they are set correctly and left alone. Town foxes are usually easy especially if you feed them a bit outside the cage.

Main suggestions would be to cover the bottom so they don't feel the cage (turf works well). Then I would poke a few sticks through the bars (keeping them away from the trigger and locking bars), stick a sheet of weed membrane or a bin liner over it and then cover it with brush, logs, empty the mower grass box on top of it etc and also lob some stuff in there so it doesn't look like an empty space. You need to stop it from looking like that square wire box that they've had a near miss with or they will never go in. Make it look interesting/natural.

Shooting wise you can move them but not release them. Taking them to your local farm is allowed but then you have to move the cage which will then make it not work for a while. I prefer to plug them on site, drag them out with a hooked stick and reset. Do that in the dark really early/late with a .22lr sub and the neighbours won't even know you've done it. The last one I shot I did within 20 feet of the woman next door who was hanging out her washing. The loudest part is the impact and that doesn't sound like a gunshot at all. They'll just think you're doing some DIY!

We all have our favoured methods, and situations are different but that sounds a load of malarkey and would give most of my clients a nightmare to administer, certainly worth a try in some situations I guess though. I just stick the trap out with some bait. I always wash the trap well after a capture/kill to reduce smell, that is the main problem area I find, but fox will get used to it after a few days if you site and bait well!

This one had no problem walking straight into a bog standard trap.

post-20848-0-44322400-1349343468_thumb.jpg

But don't think foxes just walk in every time, this does take experience...and sometimes a long while.

There are many other ways of discouraging/trapping/removing foxes and all need to be considered to find the most appropriate.

ATB

:good:

Edited by Dekers

I was under the impression that to transport a captive wild animal such a fox required some kind of license.

I would pop on site, cant imagine what kind of noise and fuss a caged fox would make, not to mention the issue of welfare

There is all sorts of paperwork required to transport certain animals in certain situations in certain countries and by certain means, none of which relate to transporting a fox to heaven as far as I'm aware! If there are some regs can someone please tell me asap.

The fox doesn't make a noise, as regards the fuss, well, that generally consists of him fouling all over the back of the van.

:good:

Edited by Dekers

• 3 weeks later...

We all have our favoured methods, and situations are different but that sounds a load of malarkey and would give most of my clients a nightmare to administer, certainly worth a try in some situations I guess though. I just stick the trap out with some bait. I always wash the trap well after a capture/kill to reduce smell, that is the main problem area I find, but fox will get used to it after a few days if you site and bait well!

Sorry for the late response, I missed the end of this topic but thought it was worth following up.

I've not trapped that many foxes, maybe a couple of hundred. I have found though that foxes hate walking on mesh. I always guessed that it may be because any that have been caught and released will remember trying to dig their way out and that feeling on their feet must be pretty clear in their memory over everything else. It's their main point of contact with the cage - they're always stood on it through the whole experience after all.

At the very least if I set a trap I like to cover the floor with turf or a thin board and some leaves. I've never washed mine either. When not in use they live on the railway bank behind my garden, covered in bindweed and bird ****

Sorry for the late response, I missed the end of this topic but thought it was worth following up.

I've not trapped that many foxes, maybe a couple of hundred. I have found though that foxes hate walking on mesh. I always guessed that it may be because any that have been caught and released will remember trying to dig their way out and that feeling on their feet must be pretty clear in their memory over everything else. It's their main point of contact with the cage - they're always stood on it through the whole experience after all.

At the very least if I set a trap I like to cover the floor with turf or a thin board and some leaves. I've never washed mine either. When not in use they live on the railway bank behind my garden, covered in bindweed and bird ****

:hmm: :hmm: What? We have very different experiences, who the **** catches and releases, and if the fox hates mesh so much how come there are no traps that I am aware of with a different type of base, foxes walk on everything including aviaries and chicken coups, pet cages etc, plenty of wire and mesh there, mesh doesn't bother them my way, they must all be tarts in your area.

And the reason mine get washed it to get rid of any blood, my foxes don't get a chance to remember anything!

Edited by Dekers

we too have a large urban fox population, trapping with live catch traps worked at first, mostly young cubs and the odd manky adult, dispatched in the garden with a pedretti hushpower 410 bought purposely for the job, very discreet and neighbours never knew a thing, sometimes they were in their gardens at time of dispatch and never raised an eyebrow, however even with two traps set up, they eventually stopped going anywhere near them, but the "peeing by me" around the garden works, if you're embarrassed about getting small tackle out in public view :hmm: try peeing in a coke bottle indoors/in shed, then dripping it around garden fences etc

Image0084-1.jpg