why is GREAT britain no longer great

dave1979

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I blame the X Factor for everthing. That Simon Bowel and his high waisted trewsers are responsible for making most of the ill-educated masses think they are entitled to a multi-million pound lifestyle just because they have sufficiently fashionable hair, and can croon their way through take that's latest creation...

On a serious note, it does seem like everyone is a lot more angry than they used to be - way more agressive driving, and people trying it on in pubs. As Mr Winner says: Calm down, dear!

yes I agree , these things have happened since day dot.

There are so many other reasons the country is going down the pan , a few of the top of my head.

Stealth Taxes , fuel etc,etc,etc.

Immigration is of course out of control and the government have no real idea of the numbers involved, the vast amount of lets say eastern european workers seem to live on the bare minimum while saving or sending home vast amounts of money or at least the ones I work with do , they are taking money from our economy and will all live like kings when they eventually return home, those that have children here get family allowance even when they return home.

Benefit culture too many scroungers are better off than working people.

Foreign aid , we are broke as a country but still give away millions.

Thats just a few reasons no doubt somebody will come up with lots more.

I think we have lowered the bar in most areas of life and then made excuses for it.

I am not suggesting that we go back to Edwardian days but we need to make a stand sometimes.

I agree that so called "celebrity" culture has a lot to answer for.

Country is past the point of no return some towns now look like something out of Pakistan the day I see an ox in the street then I know that's the final nail

The British culture is being watered down until the very word will be banned

I'm glad I won't be alive to see the day when we have president mohamad and sharia law

Edited by glen fox

Country is past the point of no return some towns now look like something out of Pakistan the day I see an ox in the street then I know that's the final nail

I'm glad I won't be alive to see the day when we have president mohamad and sharia law

+1 :good:

+ another

Somebody once said that the first sign of a civilization in decline is the loss of simple manners and politeness in the general public. I don't think that is totally correct, but the 'celebrity culture' mentioned in a previous post and the constant screening and glorification of the Chavvy stereotype, TOWIE, Jeremy Kyle, etc, etc, seems to justify and encourage the screaming, abusive, selfish, 'It's all about ME!' role model for all. With parents now who often have more than one job due to the recession, or parents and whole families out of work, the classic 'Nuclear family' seen in the 60's adverts is no longer true (If it ever was).

The press really don't help either. With 24 hour news and all the internet and newspapers, there is not enough new 'copy' to go around, so any violent etc behaviour is plastered all over the press, which maybe makes it seem like it is worse than it really is. When all you had was the paper and the news for half an hour twice a day, there was only so much they could print.

Also, in the UK in my short lifetime (57), as a people we seem to have become unable to see any joy anywhere. I go to other countries, where they also have recession, street gangs, poverty, etc, and yet the average guy in the street is usually fairly upbeat, yet all we hear is 'Oh Britain is #### !' usually from the mouths of Brits! Talk to the people who live in other countries who have visited or lived in the uk, they think we have a brilliant life and culture overall, yes there are problems, but that is the same anywhere. Sometimes I think we just enjoy moaning.

Yet I read on here how people have had a great time in the countryside and villages, and although the city can be rough, I don't remember being able to walk safely down the streets late at night in the 60's or 70's either, so what has changed that much, except the daily papers have become more alarmist than ever, and we, like so many others are in the grip of a recession, which will blow over (remember the 'winter of discontent'?).

A small child goes missing and two police officers are killed, and the country is going down the pan? Both are horrific, I am not critiquing that.

But baby with the bath water moment in all reality. We do not have wide spread rape, pillage or murder; we have an economy, though faltering still allows all of us to own a computer (clearly) and wastefully pour money up the end of a shotgun. The actions of a minuscule minority does not determine the state of a nation and it is small minded to think otherwise, let alone bringing immigration, once again, in some attempt to off load all of societies wrongs on to.

The more we time we spend moaning is time taken away from actually doing some good for our society. If you don't like it, either live with it or change it, just don't moan about it.