Suzuki or Landrover

Cornishfowler

They are very different cars, a standard jimny will go anywhere a standard defender will go I've seen it many times, yes a landy will tow more and will be more practical in most scenarios but the suzukis are very underrated as an offroader.

I've owned a couple of 4x4s just for offroading (greenlaning and pay and play days) including a fairly modified discovery and have got mates with jimnys and vitaras and the jimnys are much better on road and can hold their own offroad, not great for wading though.

Don't be put off by people who see landys with rose tinted glasses. They are good offroad but they aren't the be all and end all of 4x4s.

And landys don't have difflocks as standard only a centre difflocks which allows you to drive in 4wd on the road, jimnys and similar are only 2wd on the road but are exactly the same when in 4wd.

Sorry for any mistakes I'm typing on my phone.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

having had sukis and landys, i can whole heartedly say that the suzuki will not let you down when you need it most. the vitara lwb diesel or the lwb v6 petrol models are in particular very very good and much better than the jimney. if you want to spend every saturday and sunday under the bonnet rather than shooting then get the landrover. if you want to actually go shooting and use the vehicle, then get a suzuki. landrovers are very good off road, and thats where most of them are most of the time. off the road. ha ha. alternatively, just buy an isuzu or a toyota and you wont go far wrong.

They are very different cars, a standard jimny will go anywhere a standard defender will go I've seen it many times, yes a landy will tow more and will be more practical in most scenarios but the suzukis are very underrated as an offroader.

I've owned a couple of 4x4s just for offroading (greenlaning and pay and play days) including a fairly modified discovery and have got mates with jimnys and vitaras and the jimnys are much better on road and can hold their own offroad, not great for wading though.

Don't be put off by people who see landys with rose tinted glasses. They are good offroad but they aren't the be all and end all of 4x4s.

And landys don't have difflocks as standard only a centre difflocks which allows you to drive in 4wd on the road, jimnys and similar are only 2wd on the road but are exactly the same when in 4wd.

Sorry for any mistakes I'm typing on my phone.

I suggest you read up on diff locks

A centre difflock does not allow you to drive in 4wd on the road, when driving on the road the centre diff is unlocked but it is still in 4wd, locking the centre diff makes all wheels turn at the same speed, the jimny can lose all drive offroad by having one wheel spinning where as in the defender with the centre diff locked you would need 2 opposing wheels with no grip to lose drive this is where front and rear lockers help.

A centre diff allows you to drive on roads in 4wd. Locking the centre diff makes front and rear axles drive at the same speed but still allows wheels on the same axle to drive at different speeds.

Jimnys have no centre diff. Drive is a fixed split 50/50 front & rear so drive is maintained to the opposite end if one wheel spins.

That's why a Jimny should not be driven on a dry road on 4wd - either tyres will scrub badly or the transmission will suffer.