What load do you use for Pigeon?

tiercel

I have to buy some shells soon and I was thinking of changing my type of cartridge from 32 down to 28 grams. Many years ago I had a friend who was into home loading. He made up some 28 gram rolled turnovers for me, I must say that they performed very well with the gun I was using then, with a high outright kill ratio per hit.

Added to that fact is that a local shop has had some in and they are £110 per thousand. They seem to be getting more attractive.

I was wondering if any one of you has had experience of shooting 28 gram 6's at pigeon and how you found them? Also they are Saga a Spanish cartridge any one used these before?

I have to buy some shells soon and I was thinking of changing my type of cartridge from 32 down to 28 grams. Many years ago I had a friend who was into home loading. He made up some 28 gram rolled turnovers for me, I must say that they performed very well with the gun I was using then, with a high outright kill ratio per hit.

Added to that fact is that a local shop has had some in and they are £110 per thousand. They seem to be getting more attractive.

I was wondering if any one of you has had experience of shooting 28 gram 6's at pigeon and how you found them? Also they are Saga a Spanish cartridge any one used these before?

Use what you like if the bird is close enough it will fold

Use what you like if the bird is close enough it will fold

I was hopeing for a bit more techy stuff that that. :D Oh well! Being a shotgun cert holder since i was 15. I had sort of worked that one out for myself. Thanks for the reply anyway. :good:

In fact I can even remember shooting my first pigeon. It was 1968 2 years before i got my cert. It was with a Lee Enfield 303 converted to a 410. took the bird @ 25yds coming towards me, will never forget that shot! Good idea there for a thread. "Can you remember your first Pigeon?"

:drool:

Confidence in a particular cartridge is more important than you think. Go with it.

Martin I totaly agree with that statement. In fact confidence has a lot do do with every sport from crown green bowls to tiddlywinks. :good:

Tiercel

I've tried alsorts over the last year and come up with 2 faves. 30gm 6s clear pigeon and Hull special pigeon 30gm 6s.

I read in one of the shooting mags recently that 28gm loads often pattern better than hevier loads and that they are becomming more popular. I'm going to try 28gm 7s next.

Leeboy

my dad braught some of those saga carts and he loved them, he has tried to get hold of some since then but cant get any,

he got them from a place near dunham toll bridge, (lincolnshire).

I also agree with the coment about being confident with a cartridges,

kipper

my dad braught some of those saga carts and he loved them, he has tried to get hold of some since then but cant get any,

he got them from a place near dunham toll bridge, (lincolnshire).

I also agree with the coment about being confident with a cartridges,

kipper

I`ve just brought some from Just Cartridges at the CLA www.justcartridges.com you could try them

My three favourites are Eley HB pigeon 32g 6.5 shot. Hull Special Pigeon 30g 6 shot and Hull Imperial Game 28g 7's. The later is a belting cartridge for decoying and is soft on the shoulder, ideal when you are shooting a lot of shells or when it's warm and you might be shooting in a tee-shirt. Downside is they are not cheap!

Used the Saga 28g today and not a bad shell at all. Pigeon were very fussy and would not come to the decoys. ( not a good day weather wise, no wind and bright sunlight and a temp of 24 degrees) So i had to take on every chance. Good sport it was and all. Ended up with 29 pigeon and 11 black ones. :oops: Sha'nt tell you how many shots, but lets just say a lot. :good:

Tiercel.