internet security

trowel 7

I've been using Avira for years on my pc's and never had a problem got paid for on one and the free version on the other. The free version is good if you don't mind a pop up every so often, stick it out for a while and they often offer you the paid for version for cheap, got mine £12 for 2 years.

As I've said before, junk windows and get Ubuntu in one of its forms.

Then don't worry about ever needing anti virus software again.

Absolutely spot on! Linux here for donkey's years and no problems.

Currently ubuntu 12.04 LTS, which is pretty good, TBH. I'm sure one of us unix converts can help you with any issues - but the community is pretty good - just like here!

Best thing about it is, its FREE!!! - I mean, struth, what do you want for nowt??!!??

Absolutely spot on! Linux here for donkey's years and no problems.

Currently ubuntu 12.04 LTS, which is pretty good, TBH. I'm sure one of us unix converts can help you with any issues - but the community is pretty good - just like here!

Best thing about it is, its FREE!!! - I mean, struth, what do you want for nowt??!!??

dont undestand mate is this a search engine or wot

dont undestand mate is this a search engine or wot

http://www.ubuntu.com/

It's a free operating system what could be better!!

Takes some getting used to as we're all conditioned to use windows and it's obviously different, but after a few days you'll fly through it.

It has folders and files the same as windows, the equivalent of word, excel and all that.

Computer fires up in about 30 seconds it's superb, windows has a million things loading at start up I hate it.

It uses firefox as the web browser which I used even when I had windows, you don't need anti virus and it's all free.

You can download and burn a disk and actually run the operating system off the disk to see if you like it, I've got the latest ubuntu I can send you if you wanted to try it.

If you like it you can wipe windows and install ubuntu to the hard drive.

For my needs I will never go back to windows, ubuntu does the lot.

Edit: Do the take a tour thing on the link I posted, this will show you the interface I can see on my comp pretty much. You can change the bar to the bottom if you want but I'm used to it at the side now.

Really easy to navigate once you've used it a bit.

Edited by Muddy Funker

Yes as far as I'm aware, I've opened word docs, PDF, and spreadsheets.

You might struggle with iTunes but most files and programmes will have been made to work with Ubuntu.

The beauty is its open source so developers/nerds can improve it and iron out any issues quickly.

There's a programme called wine which allows you to run windows apps within Ubuntu but I've not used it, this could be an iTunes workaround.

You've got nothing to lose in burning a copy to disk and running it from the disk to see how you get on, if you like it you can install it.

Itunes is rubbish compared to Ubuntu's Rhythmbox or any of the other Itunes type applications Linux use. You don't have to use your mp3 player on the one pc like you do with itunes. You can add just a couple of files without doing the whole re sync thing if say you go round your mates, also running linux, and you want a couple of files from his music collection. Also good if you have a couple of computers in the house running Linux and want to do the same.

Rhythmbox also has a duplicate file remover too, that is simple and easy to use, unlike Itunes. So when you want to add a song to your mp3, you don't get 4 pages of the same song showing up. Rhythmbox does not hang, anything like Itunes does, which I found along with the duplicate files thingy, which I never sorted in Itunes, to be hammer throwing annoying.

If you want to convert to Linux, but fear the change, try Mint 13, as it looks a bit like Windoze, and run it in a virtual box or create a partition for it, then you can keep yer rubbish Windoze while you gradually make the transition. All this may sound difficult perhaps but is as easy as pie.

Once you get a grasp, Windoze will soon be deleted from your PC and you will wonder why you never did it earlier. Remember, you need Windoze to get a virus.