12b miss-fire???

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the responses chaps, but what i really want to know is -

After the miss-fire with the percussion cap having been indented quite hard by the firing pin, what are the chances of the cartridge going off in my hand when im i.e cutting it open???

Is there such thing as 'slow burn' on the primer in a shotty cart' ???

Cheers,

Mark.

Never heard of one going off like,but I have seen one go off a few seconds later that why if I get a misfire i point the gun at the floor and wait for about a minute,Then put it back in the gun and re fire it and if that don`t work cut it up

you could look at it this way ,dont ware a seat belt in a car ,you might not ever have a crash ,but if you do you should of had it on ,its not if it ever will ,,, its if it ever do

prevention is better than cure ,sorry got a bit deep there lol

:hmm: ok....... giz a clue then...... how do i 'prevent' a miss-fire ???

Edited by carpentermark

you cant prevent a missfire ,its just best not to try and fire it again ,if it goes click and no bang just keep it pointed in a safe direction for 60 sec and then put the round/cart in a safe place until you can properly dispose of it

cheers but that was the original question mate.............whats a 'safe place'? and how to 'properly dispose of it'???

cheers but that was the original question mate.............whats a 'safe place'? and how to 'properly dispose of it' ???

well as this is a open public forum i will say follow this ,if not its up to you

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/departments/shooting-standards/information-and-fact-sheets/spent-and-misfired-shotgun-cartridge-disposal.cfm

Personally if it didn't go bang id wait the 30 secs before unloading and cutting the top off, tipping the shot and powder in a suitable bin or puddle and pop some oil on the top of the primer (on the inside) which I have been informed will kill the primer before throwing it away. Never happened with my shotgun yet, had a few (more than a few actually) in the forces and would just give them to the range officer to worry about. He used to stick then in his pocket and got rid of them later but couldn't tell you how.

that'll do thanks.

I would still like an answer from someone in the know about possible slow burning primer after firing?

it could be down to the condition of the primer ,bad anvil in the primer or a light strike from the firing pin ,this could be down to weak springs ,dirt build up ,or just a bad cartridge ,many things

So correct me if i'm wrong here,

A miss fire cartridge is deemed safe to handle. Having noticed the indent in the primer.

Following some of the insructions given, to cut the cartridge in half you will need to be able to get a good grip in your left hand, very possibly in a closed fist, while the other hand holds a sharp knife and cuts the cartridge in half to empty the shot, is this correct ???

Just wondering here, are you sure 100% that it wont go off ??? if there is even the slightest chance it may decide to eventually ignite the powder, surley that would or could possibly be the end of your shooting, and being able to wipe your own backside.

Just a thought.

Edited by Dougy

Guest cookoff013

Just read two pages of this topic. Nearly choked on my cornflakes. Best laugh I've had for ages.

yeah, me too.

why oh why are people discussing burying ammo or putting it in puddles? its contaminating stuff.

with a cartridge that has missfired and is never going to work again, i cut open and salvage the lead, throw away plastic wad or fibre. then i save the powder in a metal tin. i`ve a powder bin that is just a old powder tin that has been re labelled clearly as waste nitro, then i burn it in an open atmosphere in an incinerator in very small quantities contained in an empty bean tin or such.

then there is nothing left, no burying or crazy such.

never ever bury or leave it in a situation of littering or contaminating !

big puddles indeed, be responsable seriously.

Some of you people seriously need to get out more, just put it back in the gun 9/10 it will go the second time, if not chuck it deep into the nearest hedge where nobody is ever going to find it in a million years. How complicated can you make a simple question?. Its like watching Big Bang Theory only they get paid a lot of money to act like a bunch of OCD nerds. And they are only acting.

Edited by Vince Green

why 60 or 30 secs?

why not 59 or 32?

I find this topic infuriating when the HSE car carriers get all uppity about how individuals deal with their misfires in the comfort of their own field.

The "rules" have been thought up by someone based on their opinion and a committee deciding on what they think is best practice....as they have with carcase handling and gralloching, aseptic technique etc etc

Anyone who has shot more than a few years will have had a mis-fire. the cause is irrelevant.

some of the stuff I have seen on a range under the watch of watch of an RCO scares the **** out of me so a range environment is probably not the best analogy

A weak struck shotgun cartridge primer can often be fired on the second attempt in either another barrel or a simple rechamber

weak struck .22 rounds will 9/10 go off when rechambered and fired. its a consequence of the primer design and more often than not poor quality round or semi auto weak strikes.

CF is not quite the same though,

if any of the primers look like a normal strike then a second "normal" strike won't help.

but I would much rather see it go off second attempt than face the prospect of having to deal with it at home though.

but if it doesn't go off....lay the cartridge on its side, a downward cut with a stanley knife about 1/2" above the brass of a shotgun cartridge, if you can cut half way through it will then snap open to release the powder.

The primer is of no real consequence, but submerged in water for a while will take care of most

powder is a just a fertiliser in another form.

chuck it on your house plants or lawn if you want to dispose of it.

I have a jar of lead shot from such incidences

Well maybe some of the questions have been asked by people who possibly have a genuine concern for there health and safety, there fingers,hands ect, and by the very sound of it do not confess to be the font of all knowledge, like myself, i do not know every thing !!!

and have never confessed to knowing every thing.

I do reload and have done for a while now, but still have sense to use caution with regards to something i am unaware of the dangers of, or as i know now no danger of.

But now i know a little more :good:

I thank you Oh wise one's B)

Well maybe some of the questions have been asked by people who possibly have a genuine concern for there health and safety, there fingers,hands ect, and by the very sound of it do not confess to be the font of all knowledge, like myself, i do not know every thing !!!

and have never confessed to knowing every thing.

I do reload and have done for a while now, but still have sense to use caution with regards to something i am unaware of the dangers of, or as i know now no danger of.

But now i know a little more :good:

I thank you Oh wise one's B)

some well spoken words there buddy :good:

Out in the pigeon hide today when a crow started heading for me, took the 29g no6 out of the gun and replaced with an (old) 42g no4..... it came into range....... up out the hide, aim, pull trigger click! no bang??!!

Waited approx 30 secs slowly broke barrels and saw the firing pin had indented the primer................what to do? ?????

Ejected the cart out the hide, walked 15yds away and shot it..... destroyed!

What else could i have done, safely?

Cheers,

Mark.

Y swop the cart it's only a crow

You posted a picture of someone who had shot their foot

yep this was not a miss fire this is from someone who did not play by the rules of safety ,how many times have you seen miss fires and what do most people do ,they move there guns down and say ,duhhhh it didn't go off ,then BOOOOOM ive seen it and i my self have had many a late discharge ,thus we use the 30/60 second act ,some may call us nerds /RCOs but were there for a reason ,to make sure you dont hurt your self or more important hurt anyone else or me on the range or in the field :good: