12b miss-fire???

Out in the pigeon hide today when a crow started heading for me, took the 29g no6 out of the gun and replaced with an (old) 42g no4..... it came into range....... up out the hide, aim, pull trigger click! no bang??!!

Waited approx 30 secs slowly broke barrels and saw the firing pin had indented the primer................what to do? ?????

Ejected the cart out the hide, walked 15yds away and shot it..... destroyed!

What else could i have done, safely?

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by carpentermark

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The FEO asked me this at my interview I answered with keep it away from other cartridges etc and take it to the dealers for disposal (after my 1st, wrong answer) not sure how practical that would be, or how happy a dealer would be either haha

Though I'm not suggesting it, it should be quite safe to throw them on a fire or put them in a bin. They don't explode, the worst they can do on a fire is burn fiercely.

Some people cut them open with a sharp knife and tip out the powder, or you can just stick them somewhere out of sight. Out of sight, out of mind...

In most cases firing the cartridge again will set it off, try it in another barrel. I find that most misfires occur with guns that may be a little worn, so trying it on the other barrel can make all the difference.

I find it very worrying that people who claim to be experienced rifle shots are advocating firing it again - maybe they would be wise in doing a safety course!

You should under no circumstances fire a mis-fire again, you have a now weakened primer - if the firing pin were to pierce the primer when re-fired - there is a large risk associated with the gasses from the cartridge now coming backwards out of the chamber as opposed to forwards - this has the potential for serious injury and or damage.

Anyone seen attempting to re-fire a rifle round -ESPECIALLY a .22lr on the range whilst I am RCO would be required to leave the range and our club would hold a dim view of it.

I find it very worrying that people who claim to be experienced rifle shots are advocating firing it again - maybe they would be wise in doing a safety course!

You should under no circumstances fire a mis-fire again, you have a now weakened primer - if the firing pin were to pierce the primer when re-fired - there is a large risk associated with the gasses from the cartridge now coming backwards out of the chamber as opposed to forwards - this has the potential for serious injury and or damage.

Anyone seen attempting to re-fire a rifle round -ESPECIALLY a .22lr on the range whilst I am RCO would be required to leave the range and our club would hold a dim view of it.

I find it very worrying that people reply to a thread without reading it properly.

In response to what to do?

With a shotgun cartridge, simply run your knife right around the case just about half way up the wad - separate the case, drop out the wad, shot and pour out the powder - now you have a totally safe cartridge.

No you don't you still have a live primer that needs disposing of, just like you did in the first place.

But what's the answer ??

spot on you beat me to it

i had it happen 3 or 4 times with saga 16 bore cartridges.

i did what lord geordie said.

i dont know if that was the right thing to do but thats what i did.(left them for 30mins first)

i do know that click you get instead of the normal bang is very loud and off putting.(hated un loading the thing)

If you stick them on a fire i have been told they dont go bang and just flame up and burn like roman candles for a second or two.(please do not do it)

would not fancy sticky it in my pocket or bag.

Thanks for all the responses chaps, but what i really want to know is -

After the miss-fire with the percussion cap having been indented quite hard by the firing pin, what are the chances of the cartridge going off in my hand when im i.e cutting it open???

Is there such thing as 'slow burn' on the primer in a shotty cart' ???

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by carpentermark