paying for a meal before you had it

leeds chimp

Went to Chinese AYCE in Carlisle on Botchergate while visiting daughter, paid up front don't have a problem with that £7.50 a head. What stretched my elastic bands was they charged £4.50 for my little grandaughter 21 months old to just sit there (she'd already had her lunch). Her parents would not have given the junk on offer anyhoo, first time Iv'e had crispy boiled rice !!!!

Had an arguement with some staff in Lou's buffet king in Newcastle. Me and my mate sat down and we were told that we had to pay up front. I happened to see an older couple paying at the bar AFTER they had eaten. I kicked up a stink with the waiter who all of a sudden stopped speaking english, the manager came out and said that because we were young we had to pay before we ate! Told them to **** off and went to an indian in jesmond. If its policy, fair enough but i thought they were takin the ****!

When you go to a theme park you never even think about paying up front being strange.

Why? Because it allows "entry".

For me the same logic applies to an all you can eat. Once "in" you can enjoy as much as you wish an leave when you please.

That is not the case up here London, they have set times throughout the day (2 hours here 2 hours there) at the end of whatever period or part of you went in, when they say times up then thats it.

That is not the case up here London, they have set times throughout the day (2 hours here 2 hours there) at the end of whatever period or part of you went in, when they say times up then thats it.

Ok but regardless it means you can stay for 10 mins or 110 mins and then leave whenever

He deffo looks dodgy :)

I think there could be a few reasons why you pay upfront. Plus maybe a little of the old adage, "you get what you pay for";

1. They may ask you to pay upfront as they've had people ditch and run. Big busy restaurant, not enough staff to keep an eye on every single person - very easy to slip out the door and do a bunk. So, make it company policy to pay at the start.

its purely no.3 get the money we dont care if you complain

2. It could be to speed up the entire paying/vacating process. No waiting around trying to catch the waiters eye when you've finished your meal and are ready to go. Once you're done, simply leave... simples

3. They take your money upfront knowing the likelihood of you making a complaint is high. But they don't care - they now have your money!

Out of interest, do you pay for your McDonalds, KFC, fish and chips etc. etc. etc. up front....?!? Yep.

Sorry to disagree but that is still the best in my eyes...good hot tasty grub at a cheaper price than all the others

Dont get me wrong its still the best but I went a few weeks ago for lunch and I didnt feel it was as good as it used to be. The service is better in there than Riverbank and so is the food

In my experience you pay up front at all fast food/self service establishments, so I don't see anything wrong with that.

Also, why would you leave a tip if you have served yourself ?

I don't tip if I eat in McDonalds, or KFC, does anyone ?

I don't leave a tip in any restaurant, if you leave a tip in a lot of restaurants the tips go to the management anyway.Slightly different in USA.

Sorry to disagree but that is still the best in my eyes...good hot tasty grub at a cheaper price than all the others

LC

If ever your up north give me a shout! Will take you to a cracking chinese buffet where we pay AFTER we eat. All the food is HOT and FRESH and very tastey.

Lau's in China town in Newcastle centre is a joke. Cold food and disinterested staff.

Lau's on Newgate street is a diffefent kettle of fish. Great atmosphere fresh hot food and delightful staff.

I actually prefer No1 buffet in china town. No gimicks, No whistles n bells just good food at a good price and VERY friendly attentive staff.

Ok but regardless it means you can stay for 10 mins or 110 mins and then leave whenever

Yup I guess thats true London, for my part I would not want to stay for 2 hours anyhow, if I have not eaten my fill after 30 minutes then I am not well.

Point in case, the Panda restuarant Holmeside Sunderland operates such a policy, the Chinese students who work there part time will not eat there, got to mean something.

Give me a sit down menu bill at the end place every time.

If anyone ever visits South Shields take a walk along Ocean Rd wall to wall Indian proper restuarants, competition means they all serve up good grub at reasonable prices.

no it was merge on grapes hill where the regal use to be.

First time went in there in a group of 6 and i had a frozen crab claw and complained then and took them 20 mins to get a manager and she tried to give 100 excuses got the cheapest bottle of wine as a sorry but SWMBO said her friends had been recently and it had improved. Wont be going back at all as not impressed with the service or attitude of the staff.

Will have to look at that Yankee traveller then