morning greys

muncher

• 3 weeks later...

Listen I'm not one of these usual trolls on here,that love moaning but shooting into a flock ? 2 wounded geese seems a bit much to me. As I say I'm not a moaner or a fowler but I wouldn't personally shoot into a big flock like that. Your first shot was lovely, great shot and smashing dog !! Please don't think this is an attack, just an observation. As said I'm not a fowler, so this could be the way it's done ?

Edited by rimmie

Listen I'm not one of these usual trolls on here,that love moaning but shooting into a flock ? 2 wounded geese seems a bit much to me. As I say I'm not a moaner or a fowler but I wouldn't personally shoot into a big flock like that. Your first shot was lovely, great shot and smashing dog !! Please don't think this is an attack, just an observation. As said I'm not a fowler, so this could be the way it's done ?

Come off it! The first bird was picked out from the tail end of the group. The second shot was hardly what i'd call shooting into a flock. I'm sure just one bird was expected to fall, but two came down.I have done this a few times, myself.

All birds were retrieved no problem. The man did nothing wrong.

Come off it! The first bird was picked out from the tail end of the group. The second shot was hardly what i'd call shooting into a flock. I'm sure just one bird was expected to fall, but two came down.I have done this a few times, myself.

All birds were retrieved no problem. The man did nothing wrong.

Aye, I've got to agree with motty. Rimmie obviously hasn't done any fowling before and just doesn't appreciate what a great piece of shooting this was. Using a shotgun, it's always possible to hit birds other than the intended target, but he didn't "brown" the skein and try to clip them all.

No wrong done. IMO

Well i remember my thought process on that flight . first shot i though the only shot on was the outside rear as it was only one in range took the shot , bird dropped , thought that was it , then they bunched and curled towards me and i realised a second shot was on picked my bird and shot two fell wasn't intended just happened . browning into bunches normaly done by novices ,and normally results in misses. J>M>O

... please excuse the dogs placement ...

Is there are particular reason the dog was outside the hide? Is that your normal place, but the dog is covered etc. Just wondering.

p.s. Your Evening Flight video is awesome. My heart would be in my mouth if that lot flew over me.

Edited by otherwayup

At about 2 minutes into the vid the wounded goose was shot again at ground level. Not really the done thing in my experience and I certainly wouldn't want any newbies trying it at, for example, a pheasant shoot.

Well from that reply i would say your not a wildfowler . ducks geese on water are hard for a dog and if safe should be despatch on the water dont like to risk losing a wounded bird .

• 2 weeks later...

At about 2 minutes into the vid the wounded goose was shot again at ground level. Not really the done thing in my experience and I certainly

wouldn't want any newbies trying it at, for example, a pheasant shoot.

So would u have risked the goose getting away injured if u know a marsh environent u would realise things can soon be lost

Well from that reply i would say your not a wildfowler . ducks geese on water are hard for a dog and if safe should be despatch on the water dont like to risk losing a wounded bird .

+1

Absolutely. A perfectly normal wildfowling technique to avoid losing wounded birds.

I once shot a mallard that disappeared completely as soon as it hit the water. I waited for it to surface but it didn't. I watched and watched and eventually I saw a small stick (turned out to be its beak) moving slowly down the shore. Two shots saw the now dead mallard popping up to the surface. I can only assume the mallard had been doing the back stroke just under the surface - I've never seen the like of it since!

Great shooting - 3 for 2! Thats the kind of economy I can associate with!