what size fuse????????

foxnet22

hi lads can anyone advise me on the above.i have obtained a 12v17ah battery for my 170 lamp but there is no fuse in the fuse holder wondering what amp fuse to put in.the bulb is 100 watts thanks .

P=power in watts

I =current in amps

V=volts

with the 3 formulae :- P=V*I,,,,,,,I=P divided by V,,,,or V=P divided byI

You can work out what voltage or what wattage or what amps

hth

harrypen

Edited by harrypen

would you need a fuse... the battery isnt being charged so the lamp is only pulling power..I maybe wrong but i have had the same issue with my fish finder on the kayak..no surge in power..no fuse

Sound advice that :good: He should put a fuse in the fuse holder of his lamp. :yay:

Tune in to next weeks PW big debate "Should I put fuel in my car to make it go?"

Edited by ME

Sound advice that :good: He should put a fuse in the fuse holder of his lamp. :yay:Yes if not only to protect the lamp and wiring also protects the battery. Had a extention of the wiring on a bike once (previous owner wired it up) rain got in and shorted every thing out boiled the battery dry and burnt out the the extension wiring and took out the rest of the wiring close to it. :(

Tune in to next weeks PW big debate "Should I put fuel in my car to make it go?" No get the other half to fill the tank up :D:D

Ohms law states the the current in a circuit is directly proportonal to the resistance and inversely proportion to the voltage. So when wiring things up you have to consider Ohms second law of colouration...............Red to red...Black to black and blue to ******** bits. :friends: :friends: :friends: :friends: :friends:

I'll get my coat

nah, it may be a bit of an old fashioned idea but the pink ones are defo the most fun

You lot talking about smarties ????? Ok I'm going for my coat in a minute.

Seriously yes you need a fuse to protect other parts of the wiring and equipment from something going wrong and also the lamp if some thing goes wrong elswhere. 10A Anti surge sounds good to me against a 8.3 amp load. Upon switch on there will be a power up current surge that will be quite high for a few mille seconds possibly 15A or even higher. No fuse or a standard type fuse will give problems, No fuse your lamp melts, standard fuse the fuse blows.

Sound advice from the sparkies on here.

Edited by Sha Bu Le

Fuses are cheap, I'd go with ten amp, carry a spare or two and if you have problems with them blowing then up it to 15, start low and work up, no point in using too high a rated fuse if the cabling won't take the constant current, that will end in something melting rather than the fuse blowing

Sound advice that :good: He should put a fuse in the fuse holder of his lamp. :yay:

Tune in to next weeks PW big debate "Should I put fuel in my car to make it go?"

thank you ME it wasn't advice ..but you have taught me soooooooo much (big manly kiss xx)

thanks beretta for explaining :good: