Come with me for a day in the country.

Jim Sarakun

It was a cloudy start to the day and as usual, I got there before sun up, because I like to see where the Pigeons come from. Usually that is where they go back to, so you can get under the flight line when they do, come the couple of hours before dusk.

The company I shoot for, have just acquired 250 acres to farm and have planted the whole shebang with Rape. This was my first day on it. It has a hill in the middle which is great, so the one above sees all. There are large pockets of woods too, around the perimeter, even better, I liked the layout.

My shooting buddy Ozzy threatened to come, but was on nights and declined the opportunity with the excuse of being "tired", what the hell is that? These youngsters just don't know they are born.

It was about 07.15 when the flocks started to lift from the trees. That lifting en masse in a spiral, then the dive down to the ground with the odd few jerking off and zig zagging in all directions makes the nerves in my neck and back, tingle to this day and for me is a joy to watch. I reckon I was watching about 3000 birds warming up for the day.

I never rush to set up, at my age it is a pain in the butt to move. I like to get it right first time and begrudge the pulling down and resiting, though do it if I get it hopelessly wrong. The blue grey clouds of birds were now landing on the Rape, 3 distinctive flocks were evident. It was 08.30. One flock, the largest, I still had my eye on, the other two flocks had disappeared over the brow of the hill, so I thought it was time to put them all up, to see which were going to stay. I drove around the perimeter and up and down the two tracks that dissected the block of ground, put them up, then went back to the top of the hill.

One flock headed off toward the City, two came back. It was now a gorgeous day, intense blue sky, the sun was out and there was a light breeze. It smelt of autumn, I love that smell. The trees in all their glorious gold red and brown colours, were glowing in the low sun, which made me feel good. I watched a Fox walk brazenly through the Rape, his coat had a healthy shine to it. Some Crows were cackling and arguing as they flew slowly past, no particular place to go, and totally free, their gait confirming this. I could hear some Jays laughing, the Magpies were cackling too, at me I'm sure. All this beauty I was surrounded with, did nothing to encourage the necessity of the job I was being paid for. Fortunately, my blood lust did.

It was now 10.00. I chose to thin out the larger flock, they were closer to the trees. I never set up too close to sitting trees. At a distance, the bang makes them fly into them, regain posture, then fly back out again. If I sit too close, they fly beyond them and don't come back. So I set up and waited. Just 7 rubber decoys, which wobbled nicely in the breeze.

About 7 came in initially, within 10 minutes of me sitting down, from height, wings back, don't they look beautiful? Two shots, one bird down and 6 educated, those six wont come back. I observed the other flock in the distance, rise and head for the City. My flock hit the trees. Within the next hour they were in the sky, flying out of the trees, all around me, mocking I thought and never in range. Time for the twirly.

I have a 3 arm twirly, which uses dead birds and enables the wings to flap. If I was a Pigeon and saw this Twirly, I would definately fly down and investigate. So I put my one dead bird on it, and hoped, as I waited. They flew past and around me, at a safe distance. It was now 12.00, time for some nosh.

I get these like, 7 inch long pink German sausages from Tesco that are scrummy, all snot, hooves, eyes and brains but I dont care because they taste yummy. I peel back the skin and eat them like a banana, with beetroot and tomato and lettuce. My wife says I should slice it and eat it with a fork because it looks wrong. I have no idea what she is talking about. Whilst I ate this culinary delight, my pattern was mobbed, but knickers, they can wait, for their hot lead desert.

That didn't happen though, the birds seemed to dissolve into the sunlight once I had finished my trough. So I sat there, with my Twirly and it's annoying squeeke, squeeke, must put some oil on it, for another half hour. There was not a bird in the sky, or in the trees. I decided to pack up and move. I drove around this 250 acre restaurant and did not see enough birds to decoy. OK I thought, back to the trees and wait for them to come to roost.

It was really warm now, about 13.00 and my view was awash with gold from the low sun, and I fell asleep while watching two Squirrels burying their mornings work. I was rudely awakened by the crash of a dumb dove on my windscreen, who left the perfect pattern in powder of his/her physique on my windscreen. The culprit I never found just a couple of feathers.

I was bored, eff the roost shoot, I'm going home, little pay today, so off I went. Amazingly, I cleaned my gun and in the daylight. Usually when I get back from a Rape shoot, it is dark and I don't have time, so clean it as and when. Mind, it wasn't too dirty, not after two whole shots anyway.

Does this sound like a typical day on the Rape for you? Is rape shooting just a day in the country, but take the gun, just in case?

Two years ago, it wasn't like this, a 100 bird + day was the norm, for a very long time prior to now.

Rape shooting is usually just an excuse to get out the house and sit in a hedge putting the world to rights

frezzing yer nuts off watching them dropping into your neighbours rape in there hundreds but you can,t shoot on there because he dosn,t allow shooting,then come spring he has ploughed what is left of his rape in because the pigeons have destroyed it true story :yes: