shotgun licence question

aiden

hi just a quick question my friend and I want to apply for section 2 shotgun licences. But back in 1977 he was caught with a loaded air riffle in a public place. It was at the end of his drive and it was in a bag but the law is the law. He was just wondering if it is worth his time even trying?

thanks aiden

This will probably turn into a ten pages of old women accusing you of not giving all the facts and casting suspicion but before that happens I will say that providing you haven't been in any other real trouble with the law then you will be fine ;) go for it

Don't know the full details but he was only 17 at the time and he was shooting on a waste ground and some one complained to the police and they drove past him has they was going past his house and asked whats in the bag and it was a gun. he got the gun convescated and a small fine.Thats all i know.

Thats the only details i have i will ask him when i see him but can not think of what else. I know he got a record. I thought it would of been a simple yes or no I wanted to put it on ask here so he did not have to ring the police station and waste there time.

hi just a quick question my friend and I want to apply for section 2 shotgun licences. But back in 1977 he was caught with a loaded air riffle in a public place. It was at the end of his drive and it was in a bag but the law is the law. He was just wondering if it is worth his time even trying?

thanks aiden

Yes

Right, to start with ... #sarcasm off

OK. If that is all that happened, and that is the only conviction that he has ever had, then he stands a very good chance of being granted a shotgun certificate.

You'll find that a lot of the time, someone comes on here saying they'd committed a house burglary 15 yrs ago, and would it stop them, etc.

Over 3 or 4 pages, it turns out to have been a bank job, using sawn-offs.

That's why there is so much dubiousness from a lot of the replies.

#sarcasm on

martin-mcguinness.jpg

this is my friend Martin. he wants to know if he would have any trouble applying for a shotgun licence. He was a bit of a lively lad and when he was younger had a few run ins with the police but never got convicted. Now he has a respectable government job.

he lives in N.ireland if that makes any difference?

As long as your mate didn't get a custodial sentence, and certainly not one longer than three years in chokey, and [essential] he coughs to the previous conviction on his shotgun application (giving the date of his conviction, of what he was found guilty, and any concomitant sentence - e.g. the fine), as the police will find out, then you may find that his previous indiscretion it treated as "the heady fecklessness of youth". The important bit is that he coughs to it and does not try and hide it, as lying on an SGC application will kill it dead.

Tell him to go for it - they can only say no. Good luck.

martin-mcguinness.jpg

this is my friend Martin. he wants to know if he would have any trouble applying for a shotgun licence. He was a bit of a lively lad and when he was younger had a few run ins with the police but never got convicted. Now he has a respectable government job.

he lives in N.ireland if that makes any difference?

I wouldn't think martin will have any problems getting his hands on a shotgun;let us know how he gets on. :good:

To the OP,on the basis of the information you have supplied,no,your mate wont have a problem.

As long as your mate didn't get a custodial sentence, and certainly not one longer than three years in chokey, and [essential] he coughs to the previous conviction on his shotgun application (giving the date of his conviction, of what he was found guilty, and any concomitant sentence - e.g. the fine), as the police will find out, then you may find that his previous indiscretion it treated as "the heady fecklessness of youth". The important bit is that he coughs to it and does not try and hide it, as lying on an SGC application will kill it dead.

Tell him to go for it - they can only say no. Good luck.

Sensible helpful answer ^, apply, be honest and show good reason, let us know how you he gets on :good:

Edited by moor man

My guidance, for what it’s worth, is for your friend to apply for his SGC, come clean with the licencing team about his past. If he lies or ‘forgets’ and the police find out it will put him in a very difficult place! It is as simple as that.

As Vulpicide says, get your pal to join one of the organisations who can try to offer help and support if the licencing team cut up rough, but remember, if your pal has come to the attention of the police several times over the years and is thus considered to be of intemperate habits, then frankly his chance of getting a licence are almost nil and it’s unlikely that any of the shooting organisations can help.

David

Evo very funny - I laughed myself.

The thread still has potential.

The initial minimal details are being added to - one sentence at a time. The poster doesn't know the full details, but merely wants an opinion. What could be more simple. :lol: :lol: :lol:

was only jokin gordon no offence mate :good: