What Cartridges.

davo

What 12g cartridges would you guys recommend.

I'm doing a bit of a mix of shooting,

Rabbits, decoying pigeons, flighting pigeons and shooting crows etc.

I'm using ' Hawke Best Pigeon ' 32g - 6-1/2 shot felt wad, at the moment.

The shop I bought them from has now closed so I am looking for an alternate cartridge, also whats the average price for 1000 as I am in need of replenishing the stocks.

Whats are the more popular/best performing cartridges for the type of mixed shooting I'm doing?

Thanks in advance..... :good:

I use Express pigeon special 30g No. 6. They are a good clean and hard hitting cartridge. I would say Baikal Record but everyone on here will say how bad they are.

But I promise you this, you will NOT find a harder hitting cartridge. Yes they are loud and you occasionally get a flame out the end of the barrels. Just wear ear defenders and don't shoot to near dry grass :good:

*Tin hat on*

I am a little picky about what I put through my gun, so I actually use 5 different types of cartridge. I have a leather belt which holds 25 12b carts, and in it I have 2X Express BB loads (36gram), 2X 1's (36gram) 6X D&J 8's (28 gram) and the rest are Express Pigeon Special 6's. But I often include a bunch of 30gram 5's.

Call me crazy you may, but this gives me a good all round sellection of carts.

On a good sunny day when I really mean business, il take a belt full of Rotweill 36grams. These must be the loudest and hardest hitting beasts I have used :lol: and make one mess of a squirrel at 30yards. I have even used on in a feild and killed 2 bunny's with one shot (close together) but they are a bit pricey where I get them, at around 5 pounds for 25.

Only downside is my 12bore needs to be replaced, because the barrels are wobbly at the stock. Theres a big enough gap at the breech to fit a peice of paper in. But still, I bought it for 15pounds, and it has given me hours of good feild use.

I also use a .410 which I only shoot Express 6's with (2.5") but I dont use this much, as its more of a close range tool. If you miss, or injure the animal, itl get away before you can reload.

A nice tool for the summer though, as you dont need ear protectors. :good:

I also have a small selection in my belt just incase, 2xbb, 2x 42g 3's.

What in case you need to take down a light aircraft? :good:

Seriously though Eley HB pigeon 32g of 6 1/2 in fibre are the preferred pigeon cart, I don't take rabbits with the shotty unless I have to and to be honest it doesn't much matter at bolting range, anything on target will knock them dead. Express special pigeon are also good but I have found them wanting for the longer shots, especially crows. If you want cheap you can't do much better than Rio SuperGame 32g of 6's in fibre, but they lack punch, might just be me.

You been doing this a lot longer than me mate, it probably is just me! :lol: I use rio target load 28g 7 1/2 for clays in fibre and find them just the same as any other 28g fibre clay load I have tired. At my level its never the cart that makes me miss :good:

Perception is a crazy thing, you can think something is doing better when its not doing you any favours - nature of the beast I guess!

Gamebore Clear Pigeon for me. A good hard hitting cartridge middle of the road price, some don't like 'em cos they're only 2 1/2" but for general rough shooting you can't go wrong. Used to use Rio and there's not much wrong with them either.

Hunter, A good gunsmith could probably tighten up that gun for you quite cheaply it's normally only caused by wear on the pivot point. If it's worth it of course. :good:

I've been watching this thread develop to see if it answers a question i have.

I noticed in the October Sporting Gun mag that on page 9 there is a pic of pigeons next to Gamebore Super XLR 28gm 8 carts, suggesting that's what they were taken with. I was under the impression (as this thread seems to confirm) that clay 'size' carts like 7 1/2 and 8 aren't man enough for pigeon. Am i assuming wrong? If i go after live quarry i like to use a cart that does the job first time, it's the right thing to do.

I have recently tried a few boxes of Gamebore Super Game High Bird 32gm 6s. I may well give the clear pigeon a whirl next time as they seem to be popular.

Gamebore Clear Pigeon for me. A good hard hitting cartridge middle of the road price, some don't like 'em cos they're only 2 1/2" but for general rough shooting you can't go wrong. Used to use Rio and there's not much wrong with them either.

Hunter, A good gunsmith could probably tighten up that gun for you quite cheaply it's normally only caused by wear on the pivot point. If it's worth it of course. :lol:

I was qouted £60 pounds :good: only paid £15 for the gun, so you can see my reluctance :lol:

I've taken pigeon with "clay" loads before when I have run out. If you reduce the range and don't mind the crunch when you eat them, they work just fine. Just about any load inside 20yds will knock a pigeon out of the air, longer than that I think you need larger shot and more oomph.

Just me, it might be, I am sure a few will agree with me though.

Agreed. I carry a few 8's for when im hunting on the edge of the forest when woodies fly out infront of me.

Just remember BB rounds are also limited to around 20 yards, as the pattern is so poor you will only injure any further out, unless your lucky and hit a vital area with one or two BB's.

Fair enough, well i won't worry about using them if the oppertunity presents itself.

Davo, for sporting clays i'm currently using Gamebore Blue Diamond 28gm 7 1/2. I bought them after 250 of the White Gold and they are much easier on the shoulder and possibly a bit cleaner, i won't go back to white gold. £3 a box isn't bad either.

when im shooting pigeons i put a eley olimpic trap 7.5-28gms in first barrel true cylinder as when you shoot at the pigeon it is close ie over the decoys and wont blow it to bits

and clear pigeon or similar 6-30gms in the second barrel if :D i miss for the second shot when the pigeon is a little further away with quarter choke

cheers kirky

some may not agree but it works for me

ps davo you have pm

life is a worry when one man has so much power at his finger tips !! :lol::D:P

ps only a joke im sure you are sound as and are in full control

i hope !! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

pps stop biting your nails

Lol I dont bite my nails, I just cut them real short every once in a while so they dont get in the way :P

Dont worry, the pics may look a little dangerous, but I have several years worth of built up shooting practice, started when i was 12 with BB guns, worked my way up slowwwwly and here I am with an FAC at 18 years. I have had a thing for guns since about the age of 8. I have shot in a club since the age of 14, so im fairlyyy safe :D:lol:

Next I will apply for a .243 or bigger for stalking.