Dog Guard.

Cranfield

Not "Guard Dog". :lol::lol::lol: ......sorry, I couldn't resist that. :lol:

Having lost an eBay auction (first time ever, due to a phone call, I got sniped :good: ) for a Volkswagen Passat Estate dog guard and not wishing to pay £100 for a new one, I am seeking advice.

I have seen adjustable dog guards advertised (mostly Saunders ), but they seem to have "feet" that press against the ceiling lining in the car.

As they are spring loaded arms, I assume there is some pressure behind the "feet" and I am concerned that I don't want to mark the lining.

Has anyone had any experience of this style of dog guard, in a decent family car ?

Cranfield,

I had one in a vectra estate which the arms were adjustable to the sides, you could alter the heigh of it by sliding the tops out but it didn't need to touch the roof lining.

It was a tight fit between the sides of the car and had large almost sucker like feet. I still had it up until a couple of weeks ago. (not much help now I know) I think it was an RAC make from halfords.

Cheers

I have purchased a dog cage that is 48"x33"x33", which it will sleep in and be in when we are unable to supervise it, as its growing up.

It is very heavy and I wouldn't want to have to keep putting it into the estate car and then taking it out every other day.

I agree that dog cages in cars are safer, but the dog guard is going to be more convenient and sufficient for the journeys we will be doing.

There you are, I am putting convenience before the safety of my dog. :good:

However, taking into account that I have never had an accident with a dog in any car/truck I have ever owned, I consider it an acceptable risk. :lol:

Cranners, I've got one of the type you mention in my Peugeot estate and to be really honest they aren't that great. They tend to slide about and not be very secure. The sides parts can be extended out but you get a bit more rigidity (not much) with the top bars on the head lining of the car.

Sorry to sound negative, they are OK for occasional use but you want something a bit more robust for regular use IMHO.

I've had an adjustable as well and it was putting it mildly ****, but then mine does have jack russels to contend with :lol:

I now have a purpose built one in my fourtrack that luckily I got cheap on ebay plus a large assortment of stuff wedged down the side of the seats where the little ******** were managing to squeeze through :good:

I have a full guard from MMG It wasn't cheap and the fixings screw into the linig of the car but there are only 2 and they are small. It clips into the parcel shelf points as well. There is no chance of the dog getting round the guard and it will be 100% safe in a crash.

In an accident those guards with the big rubber feet will be no use whatsoever. If you think of the weight of a lab or pointer, the force in an accident will knock those guards out easily and someone in the back seat is going to be in big trouble, not to mention the dog itself.

• 2 weeks later...
Dougy, I'm looking for the dog guard for models 1997 to 2005, as its a 2003 Passat Estate. :good:

Apparently, before 1997 and after 2005, they have different fitting systems.

Hi Cranfield, I came across this forum when looking for a tailgate guard for my new car, I have a VW dog guard looking for a new home it was used on my 1999 Passat estate, but was bought only a couple of years ago and is in a good condition.

Sorry Cranfield, forgot to mention I live near Maidstone