Great Weekend

ollie

Just thought I would post a couple of pics and a write up about a great weekend I had.

Friday:

My Father was taking a half day from work to go foxing. So I met up with him and his terriers to go and do a few holes. My dad has a few terriers, but one in particular is an amazing dog at bolting foxes from holes, most of the time it is a challenge to get round the holes in time before the fox bolts.

Anyway, first set of holes we came to is known as being a difficult set to bolt foxes from. The terrier went in straight away so we were fairly sure there was a fox in it. After 26 minutes a vixen bolted from the hole which I bowled over with the first shot and a follow-up shot ensured the terrier wouldn't get cut when it went for a chew at it. Below is a picture of Charlie with his prize:

DSCF0304.jpg

The next couple of sets of holes we went to provided nothing. So on the way home we went to a few set of holes in the mountain which we thought was sure to produce a fox as there was snow the night before and we were sure the snow would have pushed a fox into the holes. The first couple of sets on this ground produced nothing. Then we came to a hole that is set on a steep hill (i'm guessing a 45 degree slope), Charlie went into the hole, by the time I had got above the hole and was setting my feet out bolts a fox at full tilt down the hill...I followed him carefully and a well placed shot to the head sent him tumbling for what seemed like ages down the hill. A lovely looking dog fox, couple of pics below:

DSCF0305.jpg

DSCF0306.jpg

Saturday

The plan for today was that we were going to hunt a few strips of cover with the hound and terriers to try and pick up another couple of foxes. My dads shooting mate was diagnosed with cancer a few months back and unfortunately he wasn't able to make it today as he didn't feel great. Anyway, my Father and I headed off in little hope to do a few strips of cover local to home. The first one we came to didn't produce anything.

However, the 2nd part we came to is a small wood with heavy briars. My Father entered at the bottom and drove it towards where I was covering a small lane, about 5 meters wide. After about 5 mins a fox broke onto the lane, but because you have to be very quick on the lane I rushed the first shot and missed, the 2nd shot connected perfectly and a small dog fox was in the bag. The hound then hunted another one out the other side, but it escaped without a shot.

We then moved onto my sisters farm where there is a great set of holes, that normally produces a fox or 2. Again, I was barely above the hole when Charlie entered the hole, 2 mins later a dog fox bolted which I shot again. My sister was happy about this as they will be lambing soon.

We rounded off a very good weekend by going roost shooting and bagging 5 pigeons. Unfortunately, there are no photos from today, I lifted out the camera to take a pic of the first fox I shot and the missus had taken the memory card out the night before.

Sorry to bore you all, but was nice to get out with Dad and get a few foxes.

Good read , reminded me of 45 yrs ago when I used to go foxing with a fella who had terriers , I was always taken by surprise when they bolted .

Thanks everyone.

Yes mate it is a surprise, especially when you are waiting for half an hour for a fox to bolt knowng it can bolt at any time.Takes a lot of concentration.

nice to see something different . have never done any digging myself but i use to ferret so i would guess its very similar but just with a big ginger thing instead.. looks a grate day out ollie fair play

We very rarely dig. Most of the time the terrier bolts the fox without digging. If the fox won't bolt we normally leave it for another day and take the terrier away.

good shooting ollie nice to get a few handy bolts like that, i will be doing a few holes shortly but id say it will be a digging match as my bitch is a stayer that likes to go jaw to jaw ,

Few handy bolts they were, but the terrier is a different class. My Father has been foxing for 50 years and he has never saw one as good in holes.