HW95 - Welsh Willy Tuning Kit

ace_of_hearts

I have just bought a Welsh Willy tuning kit for my HW95 but am having a bit of trouble with the power.

I bought the tuning kit to get rid of the 'twanginess' in the action and on reports that they can help with recoil.

I have already taken the rifle apart 3 times this evening fiddling with it, at least i can get it apart quickly now :lol:

1st fitting - 2 of the delrin spacers fitted (out of 5 supplied) - 15 ft/lb

2nd fitting - No spacers (just the spring guide and top hat) - 13 ft/lb

3rd fitting - Standard spring with WW spring guide and top hat - 12.5ft/lb but twanging as normal

What else can i do to bring the power down? The new spring is a little shorter than the original Weihrauch one, and without any spacer needs barely any pressure to seat the trigger block, so i cannot really shorten the spring any more. Would shorterning the spring and adding more spacers to bring the length back up work?

I will call them in the morning anyways to see what they suggest but thought i would ask the question first to see if anybody else has had any similar experiences.

What if you cut the barrel down you would loose some power, it wouldn't do anything with the accuracy. It also might b easier to shot less time in the barrel to jerk the shot. You can add a mod aswell to help with the cocking ;) and would look the nuts

Edited by Scottoj18

Hi I had the same problem entirely my fault too much dri slide on the piston. Strip it down and wash the piston and compression chamber down with white spirits.Then put only a very small hardly visible amount of dri slide on the piston.Then only grease the spring use the smallest power band and reassemble.

All the best, Alan.

P.S. Almost no Dri Slide.

Edited by the big shot

With a springer the length of the barrel is more for power output and less to do with accuracy. It's the crown and rifling that deals more with accuracy. A bsa lightning has a barrel length of 10inchs that not a bad gun. I know ace and he wouldn't cut the barrel, it was just a idear.

Edited by Scottoj18

Hi I had the same problem entirely my fault too much dri slide on the piston. Strip it down and wash the piston and compression chamber down with white spirits.Then put only a very small hardly visible amount of dri slide on the piston.Then only grease the spring use the smallest power band and reassemble.

All the best, Alan.

P.S. Almost no Dri Slide.

what is Dri-slide please

Hi

I'd say the spring would need reducing in length, i've done quite a few, Firstly cut a coil or two off with a grinder then warm the last coil with a blowlamp and bang it down endways on so that it flattens the last coil to the previous..

Once it's cooled down dress the end on a grinder so that it's flat and remove any fash (sharp steel), then rebuild the rifle, the process may need doing a time or two to get it to what you want..

Cheers, John :good:

Hi

I'd say the spring would need reducing in length, i've done quite a few, Firstly cut a coil or two off with a grinder then warm the last coil with a blowlamp and bang it down endways on so that it flattens the last coil to the previous..

Once it's cooled down dress the end on a grinder so that it's flat and remove any fash (sharp steel), then rebuild the rifle, the process may need doing a time or two to get it to what you want..

john - please explain bang it down , i need to do this on a spring myself , was thinking of grinding a coil off and then trying to flatten the underside of the coil to seat it on spring guide , never thought about closing the coils.

might be a better idea than cuting off

what do you think ??

cheers

Hi

This is exactly what Will said :good:

I took 2 coils off in the end, and flattened the end and ground the edge so it had a nice flat seat.

I just heated it up with a small blowlamp, and bent it into shape with a pair of long nose pliers.

Here is how it looked after i was done:

7zMj1IbD.jpg

Power is now sitting around 11.7 ft/lbs, so I will let it settle down for a few hundred pellets and see where i am at :)

Edited by ace_of_hearts

john - please explain bang it down , i need to do this on a spring myself , was thinking of grinding a coil off and then trying to flatten the underside of the coil to seat it on spring guide , never thought about closing the coils.

might be a better idea than cuting off

what do you think ??

cheers

Hi Darren

Simply warm the last coil with a blowlamp until it's red then hold it as you would a hammer (with the hot part down) and bang it down on to a hard surface, the hot coil will be pushed up to the next one, then when it's cooled, grind it flat and remove sharp edges..

Let it cool on it's own, if you dip it in water the last coil will more than likely snap off!!

This is exactly what Will said :good:

I took 2 coils off in the end, and flattened the end and ground the edge so it had a nice flat seat.

I just heated it up with a small blowlamp, and bent it into shape with a pair of long nose pliers.

Here is how it looked after i was done:

7zMj1IbD.jpg

Power is now sitting around 11.7 ft/lbs, so I will let it settle down for a few hundred pellets and see where i am at :)

Oops!!

Missed this- well done mate you've done a grand job of that spring ;)

Dunno if anyone remembers the HW's that were being sold with chopped down springs that were left as cut with the grinder??

They only needed this treatment to make them good again, I think Weihrauch lost a good few customers due to the shabby practice :angry:

Cheers, John :santa: