Magnets or no magnets??

tommy medalist

Hi

I am looking for some advice regarding magnets in my decoy pattern.

I currently shoot over anything from grass, turnips, corn and wheat stubble, and newly drilled winter wheat. I only use stationary fuds as a decoy pattern with the odd dead bird on cradles. I have ok results but wondered if a magnet or two in my pattern would be a good thing? I have heard mixed views on them. Some saying that they are great for pulling birds from their flight line. Others saying that that are the biggest bird scarers around!

Any advice before I spend my money would be greater appreciated.

Thanks.

Rotarys do work and some times they work so well its unbelievable the distance they will pull pigeons from, right into your layout.

Other days the birds will come in and then spook off the rotary.

This behaviour can vary crop to crop and also through the seasons of the year.

My experience is that they work 80+% of the time

I would advise any pigeon (and corvid) shooter to buy one, but don't expect it to work every time.

My advice would be to get one. I think some of the stories of magnets scaring pigeons comes from people who overshoot fields/areas. I have had great success over the years using a magnet. In my opinion, a rotary device is the no.1 decoying aid, but they're no substitute for fieldcraft.

They are great , certainly help pull birds in , yes birds can flare off them and to be honest they make the shooting more testing most times , which is ok in my book,

At the end of the day once you have one you soon get experienced in if they are working on the day or not and if they are not just bring it in.

My advice would be to get one. I think some of the stories of magnets scaring pigeons comes from people who overshoot fields/areas. I have had great success over the years using a magnet. In my opinion, a rotary device is the no.1 decoying aid, but they're no substitute for fieldcraft.

:friends: I agree.

I always have my magnet with me and nearly always put it out, however if I have a long way to walk, I sometimes just use a flapper, as it save on weight. I put it on a steel rod so it looks like its coming into land.

I think movement is the key to pigeon shooting, you can pull birds in from a good distance with a little movement.

Edited by Actionpigeons

I have had mixed results with mine, more often than not they are a bit wary of it.

Where I have found that they tend to work well is near a tree. I suppose the birds on the rotary could look like birds dropping out of the tree.

I have also found that plastics/artificials don't work that well for me on them. Dead birds are far superior if you have them.

Must admit mine worked a treat for me last week.

I've only been decoying for a few years, but for what its worth this is my view.

I bought a magnet about a year ago and it didn't seem to work that well, and many times I ended up throwing it in the hedge. However, I now realise that a lot of this was down to me not setting it up correctly AND not using dead birds on it, instead I had coys with foam wings (waste of time).

When set up correctly and on the right day the magnet now works wonders.

I shoot over a lot of winter rape and when i do so I often bag up the other end of the field in order to stop the pigeons landing. When I'm at the other end of the field I always look back at the magnet (500 yards away) just to see how it looks - amazing, it's such an eye catching draw you cannot fail to let you eye be attracted to it, and pigeons simply must feel the same as humans.

Another good example I'd like to share. I shoot a farm that is close to a public areas, house estates, footpaths etc (all safe btw). Anyway I choose not to shoot ferals on this particular farms because I have concerns that some uneducated member of the public might see and think I'm shooting racing pigeons or something and I simply cannot be doing with the hassle. I tell you this for a reason - the feral pigeons will come into my pattern and hover so closely to the magnet they look like they are try to mate with it! You cannot get rid of the ferals they are so attracted to it. Now I know that ferals are stupid, and woodies are a lot clever - but the point I'm trying to make is that there both still pigeons and so there must be something in it. The ferals hang round the magnet like an annoying wasp buzzing around you in the summer!

In summary - it you've got the money, and like your decoying then it's an absolute no brainer, go for it and get one! If it isn't working well on the day then simply pack it away, BUT you will increasing find those days tend to fade away and these days I simply cannot imagine decoying without one.

Couple of things I'd add, always use dead birds, fresh ones shot on the day, if not freeze a couple and take them out, but swap them over as soon as you kill you first two on the days. I've noticed that tilting them inwards quite a bit giving them that "i'm just about to land" look, which is exactly what you want.

Best of luck mate, but I've NEVER looked back since buying mine and ecoying just would feel right without one IMO, but as one of the first posters says - there are no substitiue for field craft, good call.

Jon