Premium bonds???

Guest jonrms

Guest jonrms

??? Really puzzled and not 100% sure how they work/ operate... but decided to go for the min purchace of bonds from NSANDI .... anyway whats to loose?

I figured with a young child on the way this will be a good time for me to start saving more and with a prospect of gaining alot I feel its a good option...

Not being rude (hopefully,, as its not my intention) but does anyone have any bonds....

whats your experiance?

any suggestions....

thanks.

Guest jonrms

I had to buy 100£ pounds worth from the above company.......

I didnt really know the odds... and if it was real or not.. but it appears to be a safe investment... I guess its more risky than a savings account.. if you count the interest you might gain or not as the case may be....

I had the maximum amount for about 5 months and jacked them in because I got ****all.

One friend of the family has done very well out of them - a couple of 5 digit wins - now this may seem mad because the whole premium bond thing is supposed to be random (Erne etc) however he reckon (and from his winning experience and the people he spoke to) you have a better chance of winning in the 3 months after you buy your bonds. So he buys a load waits 5 months, cashes in and starts again. Well, it works for him like lucky numbers do for people playing roulette.

However, when I bought mine I won a couple of £50 for the first two months and then nothing. Given that you are supposed to be achieving a similar return to a simple interest rate, if you don't get anyway near that then it ain't working. Like any gamble, the longer you don't win, the more you feel obliged to ride your luck and keep the bonds on the basis that you winning something will be next month.

So, in summary, I wouldn't bother. Buy Tesco shares.

Guest jonrms

tesco shares.... cmon with the amount of walmart stores.. ie asda etc developing.... its gonna make there shares more like a yo yo....

if i cant touch the money... its safe for my baby.. and thats my thought...i appreciate the comments about winning and not winning.... i am not a lucky guy... but hope I would be...

as we all do....

but i bought 100£ worth of them... and I will buy 100£ every other month... if I can... fingers crossed.

Much better odds than winning the lottery, you get to keep your stake money and safe as houses. I have never really looked on them as a short-medium term investment, but more a safe place to put money away with a reasonable chance of a nice little return.

If you want safety then something like this http://www.leedsbuildingsociety.co.uk/savi...ccess_bond.html might be of interest to you.

Guest jonrms

cheers bud..that sounds good for my wife and I to mix the two together...

for my money ... (going to be babys..) I will start with the premium bond.. then and maybe also going into the postal bond...

Cheers for that!!!

cheers bud..that sounds good for my wife and I to mix the two together...

for my money ... (going to be babys..) I will start with the premium bond.. then and maybe also going into the postal bond...

Cheers for that!!!

That was taken from here :- http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/v...098730527,15721,

They update that every week with the best deals out there, good forum too..

My Wife and I have had the maximum each, for the last 9 years and win something every month.

I keep a record (more like a competition between us) and we average a return of over 5% per annum (2005 it was 5.2%).

All winnings are tax free and your original stake is not at risk.

We "refresh" ours , every three years, it seems to work.

I think its a great shame than the minimum amount you can purchase is £100, because it takes it out of the birthday/Christmas present expenditure range.

Jon, did you realise that National Savings and Investments is part of the Government, its not a private company ?

"At NS&I we offer a range of savings and investments to suit different people’s needs. Because National Savings and Investments is backed by HM Treasury, you can rest assured that any money you invest with us is 100% secure."

Guest jonrms

I would agree about it being a shame for those purchaces....but none the less its nice to know that there is a chance to up the stakes and its still a investment for the future.

I am glad you both are having a good return... it worrys me a bit (sorry wrong words) it concerns me that people havnt won ever.. but then again ERNIE or what ever its called... generates random numbers.. and anyone can win.

hmmm heres hoping.

Do you refresh them at all hawkeye?

I had no idea people got these regular returns, had always seen them as a lottery more than an earner. I think its becuase my family had them, but not many.

No i still have the originals but i think you need the limit to get the best benefit from them.

might change them next year see how they go if the cheques keep coming ill leave as they are.

Guest jonrms

Pin you meant to say some old people... lmao...

KIDDING

Hey I am just starting off with this kinda bond... have quite a bit in isa's and other savings accounts... and my financial advisor has some invested in other bits.. but figured I would give this a blast... lol

I bought £10K worth last November, First month i won £50 then nothing till June,Then I have had another £300 since then in 50s and one x £100 win.

I think you need at least one or two £5k consecutive blocks to stand any chance of winning regularly. as the odd £100 blocks scattered around dont stand much of a chance of being picked.unless you live down south that is. ???

I have £1000 worth after a motorcycle accident Earlier this year.

I was awarded the money in compensation so decided to put it to good use and decided to put it in Premium bonds.

I have only won £150 BUT it's more than i would ever had made in interest AND it was Tax free ???

In MY opinion it's the best thing to do with spare cash as you NEVER lose it even when your bond wins you keep the bond and it is entered into the following draws ???

Better than wasting £15 a week on Lottery tickets you never get the money back for ???

LG

I bought £10K worth last November, First month i won £50 then nothing till June,Then I have had another £300 since then in 50s and one x £100 win.

I think you need at least one or two £5k consecutive blocks to stand any chance of winning regularly. as the odd £100 blocks scattered around dont stand much of a chance of being picked.unless you live down south that is. ???

Mate of mine had over £30.000 in them and he has runs of £100s a month but also a fair few STILL with nothing ???

LG

ALSO can i point out a lady who bought 1 premium bond in the early 60s won £10.000 last month i beleive as i read the prize list ???

Again better than any interest she would have gained in that time ???

Some of the Jackpot winners have only had £10 and £500 some have £1000 it's a matter of luck but you never know till you try

LG