22-250..just had a go

washerboy

The price of ammunition for the 22-250 is compatible with most centrefire ammo'. I reload mine, but with PRVI Partizan ammo' available at low cost, I mostly use this instead of reloading.

The 22.250 is widely used for fox/vermin control, and is excellent for vermin. Other calibers are also excellent, ie .222, .223, but the 22-250 is harder hitting. I used a .223 for over a year, with excellent results on fox, but after trying a 22-250, decided that it was better for me.

One has to measure if you can use the slight advantage as it occurs a bit too far out for 90% of foxers and it has a shorter barrel life by far so you don't want to be banging off 30 rounds a week with one ( a .222 , .223 will last years doing this). Like Al4x hints .243 is as good or better with 55 grns and in reality the 70-85 grn varmint 6mm bullet takes a lot of bettering and can also take deer with the 95-100grn stuff, so I always think of the 22-250 as a product of our licencing system.

if it suits you buy one but it don't kill any fox deader than a .223 this side of 250yds

Another small consideration is that you can't use it at Bisley or on the majority of ranges because it exceeds the max velocity. Not likely to be a problem to the average fox shooter.

you wouldn't use it long anyway LOL. seriously this aint an issue on most club ranges. just the old fuddy duddy ones run by geriatric committees tied into old TR ideals. I was previously a member of 5 different ranges and they all allowed 22-250

I love my 22-250 and IMO is one of the best if not thee best Foxing round-Very fast and flat shooting.

I use Norma 50 gr V-Max bullets.Im not being snobbish by using these as they are not the cheapest of ammo but they are very accurate and i prefer these over other ammo that i have tried in the past.

ATB.

you wouldn't use it long anyway LOL. seriously this aint an issue on most club ranges. just the old fuddy duddy ones run by geriatric committees tied into old TR ideals. I was previously a member of 5 different ranges and they all allowed 22-250

I don't see how TR or "old geriatric commitees" has anything to do with it. .22-250 is a banned calibre, I don't see where the conflict can arise? Its either banned or its not. Unless you are saying the clubs you belong to allow illegal practices? Or is it that they just don't know?

Edited by Vince Green

I don't see how TR or "old geriatric commitees" has anything to do with it. .22-250 is a banned calibre, I don't see where the conflict can arise? Its either banned or its not. Unless you are saying the clubs you belong to allow illegal practices? Or is it that they just don't know?

Private ranges my friend. The world don't revolve around Bisley and its rest home

Everyone has a different requirement for their shooting and personally I don't have a requirement for a .22-250.

If the OP is getting off on this calibre for foxes then they haven't tried a 55-58g V Max .243!

...and the 22-250 is noisy as well, whichever way you want to look at it!

:good:

ive had a 22/250 and a 223...in my opinion a 223 is a better round for me for foxing much less recoil and better on barrel life..and as said less noise..

but a 22/250 is a devastating round on foxes...as kent said dead is dead tho and out to 250 yards no real difference..