stock finishes

contrysports

Hi

If you use spirit based stain then it will suck in to any endgrain like crazy and give a dark patchy finish (around pistol grip etc), water based stain is much better imo..

Here's a HW85 stock that had been stained with spirit stain, it was really patchy...

HW85stock1.jpg

HW85stock3-1.jpg

I

I soaked the stock in a bath of Oxalic acid and water for a few hours, this removed all of the oil and successive Bleach baths lightened the stock slightly (wouldn't bring it back to the white though)

HW85stock2-1.jpg

I had to stain the stock very dark (several coats of water based walnut stain)..

HW85stock3.jpg

Then rub it back with wire wool and try for an even finish, it was still patchy but not as much so..

HW85stock4.jpg

A few coats of oil later and it was finished..

HW85stock6.jpg

HW85stock7.jpg

It was still a bit patchy but a little less than it was to start with..

Good luck with your project mate, Woodfield Guncare products (welsh willie) does a great kit at a good price too :good:

John :santa:

Hi

If you use spirit based stain then it will suck in to any endgrain like crazy and give a dark patchy finish (around pistol grip etc), water based stain is much better imo..

Here's a HW85 stock that had been stained with spirit stain, it was really patchy...

HW85stock1.jpg

HW85stock3-1.jpg

I

I soaked the stock in a bath of Oxalic acid and water for a few hours, this removed all of the oil and successive Bleach baths lightened the stock slightly (wouldn't bring it back to the white though)

HW85stock2-1.jpg

I had to stain the stock very dark (several coats of water based walnut stain)..

HW85stock3.jpg

Then rub it back with wire wool and try for an even finish, it was still patchy but not as much so..

HW85stock4.jpg

HW85stock6.jpg

HW85stock7.jpg

Good luck with your project mate, Woodfield Guncare products (welsh willie) does a great kit at a good price too :good:

excellent stock that! thanks for the help and thanks for all the other advice.

edit: is it that kit that you used? if so i will be getting it to get that dark finish that i want.

Edited by contrysports

Hi

Yes it was willies kit I used..

From memory the oil is Tung oil based but it's mixed with some Veggie oils too..

Here's a pair of Daystate Airwolf stocks I refinished for a chap, he'd had a go himself with a kit that had Tru oil but it didn't dry, it stayed very tacky and picked up lint and other bits like crazy...

As they were when they were dropped off at mine..

0009.jpg

Fully stripped..

0022.jpg

Fully finished (no stain applied)..

0035-FINISHED.jpg

0034.jpg

This is my Original mo0d45, the stock was a featureless factory acky yellow colour :sad1:

I stripped it and used the stain then applied a couple of coats of Alkanet oil then around six or eight coats of the oil in the kit..

O45t1a.jpg

And a Webley mk3 stock that I bought cheaply, it was virtually black with age (and muck!!), no stain applied but I think I gave it a couple of coats on Alkanet oil..

Webleymk3newstock1.jpg

Cheers, John :good:

Hi

Yes it was willies kit I used..

From memory the oil is Tung oil based but it's mixed with some Veggie oils too..

Here's a pair of Daystate Airwolf stocks I refinished for a chap, he'd had a go himself with a kit that had Tru oil but it didn't dry, it stayed very tacky and picked up lint and other bits like crazy...

As they were when they were dropped off at mine..

0009.jpg

Fully stripped..

0022.jpg

Fully finished (no stain applied)..

0035-FINISHED.jpg

0034.jpg

This is my Original mo0d45, the stock was a featureless factory acky yellow colour :sad1:

I stripped it and used the stain then applied a couple of coats of Alkanet oil then around six or eight coats of the oil in the kit..

O45t1a.jpg

And a Webley mk3 stock that I bought cheaply, it was virtually black with age (and muck!!), no stain applied but I think I gave it a couple of coats on Alkanet oil..

Webleymk3newstock1.jpg

Cheers, John :good:

:good: cheers for that mate just out of interest do you do up stocks just as a hobby or do you do it as a job? either way you do a brilliant job

:good: cheers for that mate just out of interest do you do up stocks just as a hobby or do you do it as a job? either way you do a brilliant job

Hi

I only do them as part of my hobby, it's getting difficult to now with the onset of Arthritis in my hands though so I don't know how many more i'll be able to do before they pack in all together :/

Cheers, John :thumbs:

Hi

I only do them as part of my hobby, it's getting difficult to now with the onset of Arthritis in my hands though so I don't know how many more i'll be able to do before they pack in all together :/

Cheers, John :thumbs:

thats a shame but you should take pride in what you've done already their stunning!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

HW85stock1.jpg

HW85stock3-1.jpg

I

HW85stock2-1.jpg

HW85stock3.jpg

HW85stock4.jpg

HW85stock6.jpg

HW85stock7.jpg

this explains a lot. THANKYOU.... waterbased stains.....cocked up two stocks like this then gave up.. also dont put an electric sander on anything...