That Master Eye Thing ?

WezC

Been shooting now 10 times and I still can't decide if I have a left eye dominance problem or not ?

I do all the little tests and sometimes I seem to and sometimes not, it changes, I think !

Can it be changing ?

My scores are not much better with left eye shut, except of specific types of bird.

I also don't link squinting, it's like looking through a tube of smarties.

??? Stuck

Wez

www.wezmoto.co.uk

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been shooting now 10 times and I still can't decide if I have a left eye dominance problem or not ?

I do all the little tests and sometimes I seem to and sometimes not, it changes, I think !

Can it be changing ?

My scores are not much better with left eye shut, except of specific types of bird.

I also don't link squinting, it's like looking through a tube of smarties.

??? Stuck

Wez

www.wezmoto.co.uk

Have a Coach look at your eye's.or a friend who knows what they are doing. The test is quick and very simple.

Where abouts are you based, it always helps if you fill in your profile.

Eye dominance can change due to a number of factors; stress and age being two of them.

You may wish to consider a Uni Dot sight which corrects eye dominance problems in most shooters who are afflicted.

Have a look here: http://www.norgascartridges.co.uk

webber

I will look into it when I go to buy my first gun. Just trying to sell my expensive mountain bike first, so I can get a decent one.

Wez

I've just been through all this .

After shooting for years ,I took up clays .

Shooting right handed I found that I kept hitting my cheek . (Both eyes open ) .

I found that I'm left eye dominant ,tryed the dots ,easy hit and various eye patch things.

For me it was too annoying I'm now in process if changing to left handed ..

Do the checks establish if dominant fully partially or half .. Then do what you feel comfortable with ..

Have a Coach look at your eye's.or a friend who knows what they are doing. The test is quick and very simple.

Where abouts are you based, it always helps if you fill in your profile.

I am in Exeter. Been to Ashcombe mostly. Tony there says I need to shut left eye, but it just doesn't feel right.

Wez.

I've just been through all this .

After shooting for years ,I took up clays .

Shooting right handed I found that I kept hitting my cheek . (Both eyes open ) .

I found that I'm left eye dominant ,tryed the dots ,easy hit and various eye patch things.

For me it was too annoying I'm now in process if changing to left handed ..

Do the checks establish if dominant fully partially or half .. Then do what you feel comfortable with ..

If you are hitting your cheek, this normally dictates you are lfting your head off the comb/stock.

Where abouts in the country are you?, a town or even a country will help you find local people that could help you. We have some, in fact, a lot of knowledgeable,helpful and generous people on Pigeon Watch.

A coach will help identify your eye dominance and how to overcome the problems you are encountering.

It will be money well spent

I used to suffer from too much pull from my non dominant eye when I was in my teens and early twenties. its not nearly so bad now I am more than twice that age- but if my right eye is weak for any reason it can still occasionally rear its ugly head. Squinting my left slightly helps and back when it was a real issue I shot with a pair of shades master eye lens removed other dark. See a coach you need to be seen shooting its not easy to spot but once its confirmed the fixes are quite easy

Go with getting a coach to check your eye dominance, I have shot for years closing my left eye...after a visit to High Lodge was told I need to keep both eyes open, seems to have helped quite a bit.

One thing I struggled with was pointing the gun directly a the coaches right eye, seemed sooo wrong !!

Go with getting a coach to check your eye dominance, I have shot for years closing my left eye...after a visit to High Lodge was told I need to keep both eyes open, seems to have helped quite a bit.

One thing I struggled with was pointing the gun directly a the coaches right eye, seemed sooo wrong !!

I used to do exactly the same! Unfortunatly for me it was a coach that told me to close my left eye, on my first lesson he asked me to point the gun at him and asked if I could see the the barrels with my left eye to which I replied "yes" . The problem was that at the time I didn't really understand what he was trying to do and I actually looked for the barrels so of coarse I could see them. He told me I was left eye dominant and I needed to close it for my own good, I struggled on like that for over a year :(

Things improved drastically when I decided I was going to practice with both eyes open, I had realised that with one eye closed I was aiming at targets and then trying to give the required lead and shoot, this was leading to stopping the gun in the process, with both eyes open I suddenly started swinging the gun through the target, pulling the trigger and keeping it swinging, the whole concept fell in to place and my shooting really improved

This was my intended point .. Opinions vary guy to guy,coach to coach ... Find out and try what's best for yourself ..

People that have not had dominance don't get it ..

I was crossing over stock !

Make sure the coach is qualified, either BASC,CPSA or APSI all understand the eye dominance issue. check the websites of all three organisations for Coaches in your local area.

You are another that has not completed their profile, there may be people in your area that local shooters could recommend to you.

I cannot understand why people do not put in their location, even if it is just the county, we are not stalkers on this great site , generally we are here to help each other.

Edited by bakerboy

Terry there may be be a few APSI members not happy about that, as I said not far away is the man who sorted my issues a very experienced shot and coach book a lesson you will not regret it! any one who says just shut an eye without explanation needs to go back to school IMO!

Terry there may be be a few APSI members not happy about that, as I said not far away is the man who sorted my issues a very experienced shot and coach book a lesson you will not regret it! any one who says just shut an eye without explanation needs to go back to school IMO!

You are correct, APSI as well should be looked at, I will correct/edit the thread. Well spotted and right to correct me.

Edited by bakerboy

Quick test-If you are right handed make a pistol with your fingers on your right hand (like you did as a child) using your index finger as the barrel.Pop your "pistol" into your right pocket then stand about a rooms length away from a single item placed at about shoulder height.Standing square on to the "target" fast draw your pistol with both eyes open and shoot the target.Keep your arm completley still and close your left eye,does your barrel appear to be pointing straight at the target i.e. is your finger aligned along its length with the target? If so you are more likely than not right eye dominant-if your finger is not aligned then there may be trouble ahead :innocent:

Just goes to show yet again calling yourself a coach and being able to coach are sometimes different things. Attempt a basic quick fix cure (which it isn't) and create a whole raft of further difficulties. Worth paying for that then.

You can do all the tests in the book with rings, fingers and wotnot but I have clients who pass all of them as right eye/right shoulder until you put the gun up and only with the gun mounted does the left eye take over and vice versa for left handers. That might be why its called "gunfitting" as well.

Go to someone who knows what they are doing and can offer a proper answer to the dreaded off eye dominance scenario.

I suppose if people talk about it enough then it must be true…..

Personally I believe it is a something to lean on or blame.

For those who claim to have eye dominance do you have a set of sight beads on the bonnet of your car as there are multiple targets all around you, or do you choose to shut one eye as you make a lane change only to open it as you brake?

I bet on your driving test you never said to the examiner Oh I might have to shut one eye as I pull out on to the main road!!

How much does your eye dominance play in your day to day lives? Would you put it down on your CV?

TEH

Just a personal example so make of it what you will. My son is obviously left eye dominant but shoots off his right shoulder. In fact he can shoot off both shoulders and for fun he will take a pair of driven birds, one off one shoulder and one off the other and call it a left and right just to mock some of us older shooters - deserves a slap really. But that aside, we've looked at all of the "fixes" for eye dominance. He's persevered to shoot both eyes open as he knows it's best in the field and says that anything that draws his attention to the barrels causes problems. He says that as long as he concentrates hard on the target it works - both clays and game - and he's good damn-it. He just has to keep the barrels out of the equation as much as possible. As I said, just one example.

I suppose if people talk about it enough then it must be true…..

Personally I believe it is a something to lean on or blame.

For those who claim to have eye dominance do you have a set of sight beads on the bonnet of your car as there are multiple targets all around you, or do you choose to shut one eye as you make a lane change only to open it as you brake?

I bet on your driving test you never said to the examiner Oh I might have to shut one eye as I pull out on to the main road!!

How much does your eye dominance play in your day to day lives? Would you put it down on your CV?

TEH

As could only be written by someone without experiencing strong eye dominance, in daily life you dont notice it.....as you have both open.... Try driving with one eye closed then the other eye....... not exactly comfortable. I can shoot off both shoulders, I had to learn to shoot off the left as naturally i am right handed...... but to shoot off the right i have to close my left eye.. to shoot off the left both eyes open...

As could only be written by someone without experiencing strong eye dominance, in daily life you dont notice it.....as you have both open.... Try driving with one eye closed then the other eye....... not exactly comfortable. I can shoot off both shoulders, I had to learn to shoot off the left as naturally i am right handed...... but to shoot off the right i have to close my left eye.. to shoot off the left both eyes open...

You are quite right….Shooting is part of daily life and I also shoot with both eyes open.

However most sports men and women have both eyes open with complex hand eye coordination in a vast array of sports and I have yet to see a set of beads on a fencing foil, tennis racket, cricket bat and a set of darts!

A friend of mine shuts one eye and does quite well, however he just gets on with it and has lots of hits and plenty of misses.

From what I read and see with shooters the minute they are having a bad patch then someone mentions eye dominance and a second can of worms is opened then what little confidence the shooter had has been lost for a long time…..

TEH

Edited by The Essex Hunter