That Master Eye Thing ?

WezC

With regard to the dot, as I have a dedicated pair of shooting glasses, I use Tippex - or similar correction fluid - this gives the opportunity to apply the smallest possible but effective patch on the inside of the lens. The trick is not to forget to allow for overhead targets.

Que?

I suspect I am about to be edumacated a little further, but what do you mean by that part of your comment? Does 'dotting' your glasses alter the perception of overhead/driven birds?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Que?

I suspect I am about to be edumacated a little further, but what do you mean by that part of your comment? Does 'dotting' your glasses alter the perception of overhead/driven birds?

Nothing complicated. Obviously, it's beneficial to keep the obscured area as small as possible. Having done this, possibly at home and indoors so that the patch only has the desired effect once the gun comes into the shoulder and you would be about to shoot thus maintaining your 3D vision, it's then wise to step outside and check that all is well when the barrels are fully raised.

Ok, I'm thinking that your talking about maintaing that wee bit of peripheral vision above the dot then to allow you to pick up the bird slightly earlier? I don't seem to have an issue with most birds as the dot obscures an area above my vision when my hed is in a neutral position, I'll have to be aware of it next time shooting overheads and see if it has an effect.

So, why to handicap yourself using a dot, tape, patch or wink, when you can shoot from your handedness side, using both of your eyes to establish the gun target relationship

with an XDS.on your gun.

Beside that you get all the light and the eyes comfort you can have!

But it looks rather odd, and there doesn't appear to be a UK supplier.

Edited by -Mongrel-

I used to suffer from too much pull from my non dominant eye when I was in my teens and early twenties. its not nearly so bad now I am more than twice that age- but if my right eye is weak for any reason it can still occasionally rear its ugly head. Squinting my left slightly helps and back when it was a real issue I shot with a pair of shades master eye lens removed other dark. See a coach you need to be seen shooting its not easy to spot but once its confirmed the fixes are quite easy

I too used to suffer from to much 'pulling' in my teens and early twenties but that's another story

Wez,

This may help in determining exactly where you stand concerning your "cyclopean eye". (Refering to that postition between the right and left eye that is dominant). This will be explained in the attachment

From there you will have a better understanding of where you stand in relation to perceived lead on right to left and left to right targets. Hope this helps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD3TKy-FCnA

My experience over the years has shown that there has been much more attention to the eyes and their function with clay target shooting on your side of the pond than we have had here in the US. Also, all the didactic information in the world does not substitute for a experienced instructive looking over your shoulder to confirm what is happening.

Edited by idoc

Drayman,

Never said better. As long as the barrel is not part of the equation dominance is a non issue.

One of our biggest problems here in the States is we were all brought up with a BB gun and then a 22 rifle before we started shooting a shotgun. We learned to take the barrel to the bird, look for the lead and then pull the trigger. Works great in games like American trap and skeet because the "speed" is relatively constant. Not the right way to do it but works until you get on a sporting course where the gaps are different because the speeds are different. Most european shooters are taught from a young age that its a eye first move and not a hands first move.

When a skeet shooter is looking for the lead high 4 is a 7 ft lead and low 4 is a shoot directly at the target if they are right shoulder with the gun and left eye dominant. Your exhausted but you can break hundreds doing it the wrong way. When a bird gets up in the field we tend to immediately bring the gun to our shoulder and then the barrel to the bird. A chain arround our necks that we spend decades to shed. The old ruffed grouse hunter learns the right way because if he didn't he would soon wither away from starvation.

Sorry I got so long winded but you could not have said it better in your post. It's the conciuose barrel that is the antichrist. Rich Colo (God I need a spell checker)

The shotspot is nothing more than a dot that cuts the binocular vision to monocular vision.

Here is the catch: "When Shotspot® is correctly fitted to your shooting glasses this double image disappears and allows you to focus clearly on the target!

The double image disappear only if the off shoulder eyes doesn't see the barrel!

The Shotspot claims that the blocked eyes( off eye) can see thru the dot, that means the off eyes can see the barrel! See the image!

Second, if the Shotspot is placed on the eyes axis how can that eye participate in the gun-target relationship?

I don't thing that foggy off eye vision can see the target clearly!

The shotspot works like any other blocker with limitations!

The XDS is the only one that really preserve binocular vision,with out any speculation, offers a 180 degree peripheral vision, liberates the eyes from any blocker,allows full light to the eyes,and and gives them natural comfort .

With out any speculations, cuts the shotgun ghost ( double barrel)image for real!

Edited by Orangeclay

The shotspot is nothing more than a dot that cuts the binocular vision to monocular vision.

Here is the catch: "When Shotspot® is correctly fitted to your shooting glasses this double image disappears and allows you to focus clearly on the target!

The double image disappear only if the off shoulder eyes doesn't see the barrel!

The Shotspot claims that the blocked eyes( off eye) can see thru the dot, that means the off eyes can see the barrel! See the image!

Second, if the Shotspot is placed on the eyes axis how can that eye participate in the gun-target relationship?

I don't thing that foggy off eye vision can see the target clearly!

The shotspot works like any other blocker with limitations!

The XDS is the only one that really preserve binocular vision,with out any speculation, offers a 180 degree peripheral vision, liberates the eyes from any blocker,allows full light to the eyes,and and gives them natural comfort .

With out any speculations, cuts the shotgun ghost ( double barrel)image for real!

If this XDS is so effective why don't we see any of the earlier versions in use? Robert Churchill invented the dominant eye 'blind' which was far superior to the modern version in that a retaining pin was unscrewed from the gun's action and the 'blind' with its attachment screw was installed in its place. There were several variations; for example, Holland and Holaand had their 'eye corrector'. This would have been c75 years ago.

Talk about reinventing the wheel!

wymberley, ,

The idea of XDS came from the" thumb up" concept to solve cross dominance and cross firing!

With all due respect for R Churchill his eye blind did not pass the practical test to be adapted to any gun and to any user so the concept failed from the beginning!

The time test of 75 or more years proved that.

So, for almost 100 years people relied on winking, dot ,tapes, patches etc.to solve, double barrel vision,cross dominance, cross firing.

I took the concept from the trash and make it to work!

How, by creating a device that can be attached to any gun, without any modifications and adjustable for any user, by providing sets of blades with different dimensions

considering the different distances between the users eyes.

Indeed, I reinvented the wheel, but a wheel that now runs and puts in value a concept.that stood on the bottom of ignorance for so many years.

People with cross dominance and cross firing by using it, gain confidence and some are winning competitions

The big gain is that '" handicapped" people having cross dominance and cross firing can use full visual capacity, just like any " normal" guy!

Those who can't wink, wear a tape, dot or patch due to side effects, can stay in the game and enjoy shooting!

All my respect to the predecessors but I came up with the idea independently without to know almost nothing about them.!

What is trash for some, is gold for others!

All my respect to the predecessors but I came up with the idea independently without to know almost nothing about them.!

Now I can see why you are so keen to push it. Can't beat good old fashioned avarice. The idea's been out there a long time it would appear and, I tend to feel that if it was the be all and end all solution to eye dominance issues I think we'd see a lot more in use!

wymberley, ,

The idea of XDS came from the" thumb up" concept to solve cross dominance and cross firing!

With all due respect for R Churchill his eye blind did not pass the practical test to be adapted to any gun and to any user so the concept failed from the beginning!

The time test of 75 or more years proved that.

So, for almost 100 years people relied on winking, dot ,tapes, patches etc.to solve, double barrel vision,cross dominance, cross firing.

I took the concept from the trash and make it to work!

How, by creating a device that can be attached to any gun, without any modifications and adjustable for any user, by providing sets of blades with different dimensions

considering the different distances between the users eyes.

Indeed, I reinvented the wheel, but a wheel that now runs and puts in value a concept.that stood on the bottom of ignorance for so many years.

People with cross dominance and cross firing by using it, gain confidence and some are winning competitions

The big gain is that '" handicapped" people having cross dominance and cross firing can use full visual capacity, just like any " normal" guy!

Those who can't wink, wear a tape, dot or patch due to side effects, can stay in the game and enjoy shooting!

I assume that you have asked the site owner for the free advertising this time?

If not, here is the relevant section from the house rules:

Anyone with a personal interest in a business, is not permitted to promote, advertise or post links to their business, without seeking the permission of the Site Owner (Teal), this is called "good manners".

wymberley, ,

With all due respect for R Churchill his eye blind

Must say that I find it difficult to believe that anyone who has heard of the 'thumbs up' concept has not also heard of the 'blind' seeing how both ideas are the brainchild of the same man.

Fantastic news Ed. Will you also be the British agent for Mazeclays? The ONLY fair Olympic discipline.

For those of you who have never tried Mazeclays it is absolutely brilliant.I think it is a fabulous opportunity to get the old and infirm back to work and participating in sport. Physiotherapists could use it to teach people to walk without the aid of Zimmer frames.

Shoot what works for you, as a lad I nearly lost the sight in my right eye as it is very week and had to wear a patch on mylefteye for a long time, I have worn glasses since I was 3 years old and am right handed, I keep both eyes open while looking for the bird then close my left eye ( this is easier on clays as I pre mount the gun) I came 16th in the clubman one year and after a 10 year break from shooting re-joined my old club and went into the top 6 straight away, I am not bragging but simply saying do what works for you, I tried shooting left handed but got my feet in a muddle so stuck with r/h, I have tried a plaster on my left lens to block the barrel view but gave up on that although it was ok,