What knife??

adamskiseal

As an all round knife the Fallkniven F1 is well regarded (but just outside budget)

I really like the Mora bushcraft forest as it has a blade shape that makes it suitable for a lot of tasks.

The Svord Kiwi general outdoors is also a good workhorse knife.

Or maybe a Helle if you want a slightly more pretty knife...

Lots of good knives about.

Kershaw needs work - had one for a few years and its great (assisted opener) I once took a chunk out of the blade through misuse and sent it back to kershaw and they put a new blade on it and sent it back to me f.o.c

Excellent knife and customer service,

I also use buck omni hunters and they are also good, a bit more "utility" but excellent.

For all my grallaching I use one of those cheap plastic sheathed numbers and they are fine as a sharpen everytime knife, the kershaw is too pointy for grallallaching and the buck is a bit too wide.

Regards,

Gixer

I just cant see why you would want to spend silly money on a knife .

I have just brought a new Mora clipper companion, for £11 , perfect size for most field tasks and so sharp you can literally shave with it , available in both stainless or carbon steel.

And even better you will not be in tears if you lose or damage it !!

Here you go adamskiseal -

From left to right - cheap steel I use for keeping them all sharp (£2.50 from a game fair) mora clipper used for grallaching (£10-12) a kershaw "needs work" my day to day pocket knife which is fantastic (£30-40), buck omni hunter small folder for general work (£20-25) and finally a large omni hunter folder for rough use (£50) I buy the knives in the USA as they are about 1/3 of the price they are here (I saw a large omni hunter folder at a UK game fair last year for £90!!! I get them

For $35 in the USA!)

These pretty much cover everything knife wise!

50 pence piece for scale..

D48F2DE9-E46A-4EAB-B8BB-86978139BB0B-19440-00001B3312803AF0.jpg

Regards,

Gixer

EDIT TO ADD - wish I had bought them all in fluorescent orange as the usual black/green colour makes them a pain to find in grass/woodland if you lay them down! They all come in bright colours too if you want! :rolleyes:

Edited by gixer1

hi Gixer you would be better off with just the one knife and spending more on a good steel,

will keep a razor sharp edge

colin

To be honest it really doesn't matter as they all go dull after using it to skin/empty out a deer, I find having a few for different jobs works, a steel just takes the dull edge off - it won't help retain it any longer though.:good:

The shape of the knives seem to be more crucial for different jobs, the kershaw is way to sharp a point for gralloching or is too thin a blade for splitting sticks whereas it is perfect for one handed cutting rope/twine etc..they all have a place I guess is what I'm saying.

Regards,

i know what you trying to say Gixer its probably easy for me to say as being a butcher for 30+ years i find keeping an edge on a knife easy,

a steel is not a tool for sharpening a knife its for keeping an edge if you use it regularly you dont need the sharpener very often,

in my last job i would bone out 100-120 sheep per day 5 days a week and would only sharpen my knife 2-3 times per year as a good quality steel is all you need,

the main reason a knife will blunt is what you cut down onto wood being the best thing.

my last few deer i shot i would hang gut skin take home and bone out with my mora and run over a good steel and the edge would be as good as when i started,

if you can find the thread from last years butchery demo i did for pw its on that

please dont think i am having a go just trying to help give some of my experiance

colin

i know what you trying to say Gixer its probably easy for me to say as being a butcher for 30+ years i find keeping an edge on a knife easy,

a steel is not a tool for sharpening a knife its for keeping an edge if you use it regularly you dont need the sharpener very often,

in my last job i would bone out 100-120 sheep per day 5 days a week and would only sharpen my knife 2-3 times per year as a good quality steel is all you need,

the main reason a knife will blunt is what you cut down onto wood being the best thing.

my last few deer i shot i would hang gut skin take home and bone out with my mora and run over a good steel and the edge would be as good as when i started,

if you can find the thread from last years butchery demo i did for pw its on that

please dont think i am having a go just trying to help give some of my experiance

colin

Not at all Colin, fully understand - but I was more referring to the blade type/shape for different jobs.

Are you using an alloy, ceramic or diamond steel/hone? I find the little one I have puts the edge on no problem but its usually on skinning I find you notice the blade dulling the most as the skin starts to "pull" as opposed to falling away.

Regards,

Gixer

Opinel everytime. Or a Mora for deer.

It always made me smile when folk would spend hundreds on a Ray Mears/ Alan Wood knife and then be too terrified to use it or beat the granny out of it splitting wood.

The Mora is the only knife that the grandfather of 'bushcraft' Mors Kochanski used and he tested them to destruction. This is a man that spent years living in the boreal forests of North America with his family, not a handful of weeks whilst making a TV series!