do cockers cut it

sweet169

thinking about getting a cocker but are they strong enough as an all round gun dog or are the only good for picking up ( sorry if i have upset any cocker owners with this question lol) i dont really want a springer as would sooner have a smaller dog

thanks aaron

Simple answer this one YES :good: :good: Had labs lots,ess loads but last 12+ years cockers only. Great little dogs as larp said go all day. Some might struggle on the foreshore on big tides,

but as a shooting dog brill.Buy a well bred pup and you won't go far wrong.Plenty of lads on here to help you out with training tips. :good:

Cockers are massively increasing in popularity round here Aaron, whereas most of our picker uppers used to use labs cockers now seem the dog of choice. Springers are almost rare but this is game shooting inland, and they handle everything. So basically look at your shooting requirements and where you are going to keep the dog and go from there, then research your pups parents well there is a large difference in size among cockers and look for a decent sized line.

As you say your looking an all rounder I don't think a cocker Is an all rounder, fantastic dogs at what they do i.e beating picking partridge and pheasant ( mainly beating ). It can also depend on the individual dog of course seems cockers vary in size a great deal. I would say a good all rounder is a springer/clumber or lab. In my opinion anyway. Good luck with it.

Cheers

had cockers for 8 years now had labs before that and the cocker is every bit as good as a lab in my view if not dare i say better my cockers will swim in ponds or rivers all day if they can get away with it ,will sit in a pigeon hide no bother ,will pick a goose and if it cant carry it it will drag it to me if need be will go beating 4 days back to back on the grouse moors and never seem to flag ,and will handle picking up duties no problem atall and i even know of one that used to pick foxes if they were lost in cover as before i would say the only down side would be swimming in strong flowing water i dont think you will ever regret getting a cocker best of luck to you :good:

had cockers for 8 years now had labs before that and the cocker is every bit as good as a lab in my view if not dare i say better my cockers will swim in ponds or rivers all day if they can get away with it ,will sit in a pigeon hide no bother ,will pick a goose and if it cant carry it it will drag it to me if need be will go beating 4 days back to back on the grouse moors and never seem to flag ,and will handle picking up duties no problem atall and i even know of one that used to pick foxes if they were lost in cover as before i would say the only down side would be swimming in strong flowing water i dont think you will ever regret getting a cocker best of luck to you :good:

Neither is better they are just different dogs for different reasons.

A bird is weightless in the water, it didn't exactly impress when it put it down and struggled to walk just ten feet on land. Not having a go at your dog its just a fact that they cannot carry their own weight across a rough marsh and haven't a hope at jumping a wall etc. with such a retrieve Pure physics nothing to do with training or quality of dog, a lab is twice as big and then some dogs of this size can run with large geese and hares in carridge, cross fences, deep heather push through rushes while holding large quarry. That said a 3okg lab is going to struggle to push its way around and under a blackthorn hedge or force rabbits out from under the thickest brambles, just as much as a cocker with a gob full of goose or Hare is going to have a hard job to walk carrying it