biodiesel

pestcontrol1

i dont run 100% mate. in my old series, it dont need to dilute to much.

If your running with the CAV rotary pump (i.e the original engine in a series land rover) you're heading for an expensive problem.

There is a bearing in these pumps which requires lubrication which can only be done by diesel. The addition of any veg oil reduces or stops the lubrication of this bearing and leads to seizure, usually costing more to repair/replace than has been saved by using veg oil.

use proper turpentine to thin it ,there used to a bloke on google showed how hed put 10ml of turps in 5gallons of filtered used cooking oil and leave it ten days to react .pour it through old jeans twice to get all the old chips n **** out,and add your turps leave it ten days .it alters the fat enzymes breaking it down.dont know the science but it worked 3 years in a astra 1.7diesel towing a caravan too.hed charge 70p a litre and tell that vatman he said . :lol::whistling::innocent:

I am thinking about trying my hilux on it as there is a place just up the road but a lad said he knows someone that makes his own at a cost of 15p a littre i think its worth a go

I run B100 only, havent been to a garage since last april when I started accept for mot and the emmisions were lower

Are you getting it from a garage forcourt and if so how much are you paying

pc1

Which goes rather thick in this weather.........

I had heard the same and it ******** a mates landy up big style

I am thinking about trying my hilux on it as there is a place just up the road but a lad said he knows someone that makes his own at a cost of 15p a littre i think its worth a go

Are you getting it from a garage forcourt and if so how much are you paying

pc1

I had heard the same and it ******** a mates landy up big style

I make my own B100 cost not including my time is 37ppl approx, I would be very carefull of buying filtered wvo unless you know what your doing

that cost he is either ignoring costs or had a source of very cheap WVO, Whichever way price up a new injection pump and check compatability before taking the gamble then you know what the cost is if it goes wrong

Dont use cheap rubbish bio diesel or cooking oil in a common rail diesel engine, the life expectancy will be less than a year :oops: youll be look at new injectors, high pressure pump and etc which is very expensive... Use it in a mechanical injection system you'll get about 3years use out of the engine before it goes bang

Dont use cheap rubbish bio diesel or cooking oil in a common rail diesel engine, the life expectancy will be less than a year :oops: youll be look at new injectors, high pressure pump and etc which is very expensive... Use it in a mechanical injection system you'll get about 3years use out of the engine before it goes bang

I might not bother after reading this lol but thanks for the info

Ok, first things first, if you buy Biodiesel off a forecourt it needs to have been produced to a minimum standard, therefore you should easily avoid the 'Cheap, rubbish'.

It is however MUCH cheaper to process it yourself and then, the quality is all down to how well you process it. I made Biodiesel for a couple of years (after a year of buying it) and only stopped when i started a job that pays for my fuel.

You can achieve close to pure bio (known as B100) at home in the garage, it cost me about £150 to build a processor and get started but I was doing £100+ a week on diesel at about £1.25 a litre. Processed, and including the cost of waste cooking oil (which averaged about 35p a litre) the B100 was costing me 63p a litre. It saved me LOADS. I was running it therough a TD5 Discovery for 3 years with NO problems other than the expected filter change just after using it.

However, your man above is correct in that you MUST check your vehicle is compatible with Biodiesel, some vehicles don't like it end of.

Edited by -Mongrel-

Useful forum for you, most of these guys have been there done it, sorted the problems.

Like all forums they can get arsey if you charge in like a Bull in a china shop, no worse than here though, but do some research and pick their brains when you really are stuckand I'm sure all will be well.

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/

i think there lies your answer as to how good biodiesel is! there is no way i would put it in my td5.

Nor would I! You have enough trouble keeping that running as it is! ;-)

I ran a Mitsubishi Pajero on it with no problems at all other than a clogged fuel filter which was expected.