Going to view a Freelander - Any LR Mechanics offer some pointers

ph5172

I have owned over the years 2 freelanders, a disco 1, a disco 3, 2 defender 90s and a 110 pickup. Currently running another 110 and an Evoque. Never had a serious problem with any of them. I have spent more money keeping 2 golfs and a passat on the road. Just my experience.

My defender is 21 years old 97k on clock and has never had any problems. How many rice burners will still be about in 20 years

My Rice burner is 17, 83k and still pulls like a train, isn't rotten , everything works and it spends plenty of time OR.

LR's are great, except the Freelander, they got that one wrong IMO (ex owner)

im a mechanice mate , id avoid it at all cost , its a landrover! thats how the company makes money...in repair bills, they may look good but there unreliable very unreliable, go for nissan/toyota/ford highly reccomend these maunfacturers

And of course, Nissan, Toyota and Ford have never had well publicised and widely known serious faults..........?

There are plenty of Land Rover's of all ages on the road to suggest that, in general they are reliable and well liked..... And exactly how do Land Rover make money on repair bills? Main dealers are only used (generally speaking) by those whose vehicles are under warranty - which costs the company not the end user. Land Rover genuine parts also are very cheap compared to other manufacturers in my experience. If you think they are pricey, then you don't want to know how much Subaru charge for some things!!

I know Land Rover owners can be a partisan bunch, but they usually don't border on the rabid like the anti's :)

My defender is 21 years old 97k on clock and has never had any problems. How many rice burners will still be about in 20 years

Amen to that!

Yup :stupid:

My Defender is used daily for work as is the soup dragons gaylander. The hairdresser car costs more to maintain than the proper one but is a damned sight more comfortable and starts when you want it to. No complaints here.

Mate's a rep and does thousands of mls per year,he hates freelanders & disco's (dont know why,i think its ever since a nut in a freelander he was passing in his Jimny 'shooting wagon not his rep car' wouldnt let him back in the slow lane on a duel carrageway) ,he now keeps a 5bar gate in his car everytime & he see's one broke down & he brays like a loony on the horn as he passes.

EDIT: just text my mate to find out the crack, apparently this guy in the freelandy he was overtaking kept speeding up & slowing down staying level with him & all the time my mate was waving & shouting,this guy in the freelander was mimicking brushing & drying his hair with a imaginary hair dryer.LOL

Edited by Davyo

Never owned a Freelander myself but did have a Rover 75 for some years which shares most of it's parts with a Freelander. For starters I bought Land Rover parts as they were cheaper than MG/Rover Parts.

Major problem I had was going through 2 master clutch cylinders and 1 slave clutch cylinder cost me about 800 quid due to the amount of labour required, however many Rover owners fit the Freelander slave due to it's all metal construction and being more hard wearing than the MGR part.

Engine wise never had any major problems with the diesel lump, the TD4 in the Freelander is the M47R BMW unit fitted to the Rover. I needed one camshaft sensor (£50), a thermostat with housing (comes as one unit £30), one radiator and an elbow joint for the coolant, also had a leaky diesel injector that was changed for fifty quid, as I had the car up until 160k most of these I would consider to be wear and tear anyway.

The main problem I had was getting the balance on the handbrake just right for the MOT test (********) although not sure if the Freelander uses the same setup.

My father had a Freelander one and had a new clutch and gearbox fitted after 6000 miles from new, however that was the only problem he had during his three years of owenship, surprising as he had the 1.8 k series engine.

I got a freelander commercial with 103000 on the clock and a full service record from the national grid

I was on my missus insurance for 12 years as a named driver and when it came to having a 4x4 for work i was staring down the gun looking at insurance costs. :sad1:

All the other commercial 4x4 versions were just unaffordable in price, insurance and running costs

OK, there are many dodgy freelanders out there but if you know what you are looking at, have a bit of mechanical knowledge and aren't scared to do most of the work yourselve i don't see why you shouldn't buy one providing the right car comes along.

I believe i did find the right car.

I had 4 since 2001 all TD4"s , never had a prob but always felt I needed a 6th gear when on motorways , performed excellent in the snow during those bad winters 10/11 , was looking to upgrade to a Freelander 2 but got a Kuga 163 Titanium instead .

Well timed find on this post.. Have been lookin at a few td4s on flea bay! Think I'll avoid them now.

On a positive note though, the old man's series III lightweight is going strong and passed most 4x4's struggling with a smile in its grill in the recent snow! So not all landrovers are shaite😜

There is a whole world of difference between freelander and freelander 2, the fl2 has a fantastic 2.2 diesel engine, and after 2.5 years of ownership I've had no complaints what so ever. As for the old fl1 totally different motor which I would not recommend.

Im running an ancient td4 after previously owning a Vitara, Dahaitsu fourtrack and a td5 disco in that order and to be honest i like the freelander it drives more like a car than the td5 gives better mpg and is lighter and has a much better turning circle.

Ive changed the vcu as they are prone to failure after 70k (mine had done 116k). Ive also fitted a set of Insa Dakar tires which have been excellent in the snow and very good on permissions my shooting buddy wont take his fancy Merc 4x4 for fear of getting stuck. The lack of a low range box doesn't worry me as when owning the td5 i only used it once.