Going to view a Freelander - Any LR Mechanics offer some pointers

ph5172

After a few pointers.

The Mrs wants a Freelander! (we have been down the route of a Disco or RR and its definable got to be a freelander!)

Its a 2006 Diesel 141K

With HDC

Anything i should be looking at. I usually visit the local dealer and grab one of the lads on a lunch break for a bit of beer money to have a look at any perspective purchases but alas its Sunday and its closed.

I don't mind forking out for an AA / RAC inspection but before i throw money away on one is there anything Major i need to be aware of?

And what price should i be looking at Private (its leather and the like)

Cheers

The 2006 is a freelander 1, from memory,

Its a landrover so check for rust, obviously.

Mine had a whole lot of issues but all of the temprimental electric problems. which came over the cousr of a 7 month ownership.

The only mechanicla issue has something to do with the rear diff and the usual work around is to remove the rear propshaft.

So check thats still in place.

Test all the buttons make sure they work. electrics is not Lr strongest point. if you can find a hill test the HDC it should work in 1st and reverse.

There is plenty of freelanders about so if you have any doubts at all walk away.

Ok own and drive one 1.8 petrol 04 plate done 25000 miles in it. Rear diff mount x3 at £8ish,prop bearing changed in pairs x3 at £30 a pair. Hill decent lights came on twice both times throttle cable required adjustment. If you arnt good at mechanics I wouldnt recommend one. If selling mine I would be happy to get £2500 its done 70k. The diesel would go for more.

A '06 freelander is a td4. Haven't seen a freelander with rust yet, no serious rust anyway. A td4 is the best engine for a freelander -originaly a BMW engine. Not a lot of problems with these. Check the vcu -look on YouTube how to check if it's ceased. Check for excessive tyre-wear.

Can't say it's a bad car -but I like landrover anyway, so I am probably biased (but so is anyone who says all landrovers are s#*t).

Best one to get is a td4 automatic. Nice to drive on and off road.

My father had an 54 plate TD4, decent enough engine it is just a shame it is put with the rest of it :lol: , Gearboxes x 2, rear diff mount x 3, Prop bearing x 2, IRD x 1 and VCU at same time as well as a constant boot leak resulting in a boot full of water even though we changed all seals etc. Hill descent light on/off all the time and loads of other electrical niggles. Luckily we have our own Bodyshop so no labour charges, but parts alone in the 6 years he had it were well over £2500.

in that time i have had a 1998 Frontera that cost me £600 and spent less then £150 on it in 3 years and a 2002 Terrano that was £900 and touch wood hasn't cost me a penny, and both are worked hard on/off road.

My advice would be steer clear from the freelander 1 and if you really want a freelander spend a bit more and buy a 2 which are certainly a lot better (but still have there problems)

Gaylander td4 with 140.000 :no:

Go buy something else, vitara, rav4,Honda crv, landcruiser Colorado,nissan x trail,even a Kia would be better.

There are a lot of small 4x4 out there more reliable and just as capable in the rough stuff.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

Well had a nice afternoon out... and that was about it!

Coolant was non existent (about 10mm in bottom of tank)

Oil was only just on bottom of dipstick and like treacle

Smoked like November night at the slightest flooring of the pedal

Radio not working

Cruise not working

Engine had a sensor disconnected

HDC didn't appear to be functioning

But it drives like new mate!!!

When was it last serviced....... Beginning 2009 45k ago!! but it does have a new MOT so it cant need a service! but i will knock £50 off so you can get it done at LR

I think the handing the keys back and saying thanks for your time may have told him we weren't interested!

After a few pointers.

The Mrs wants a Freelander! (we have been down the route of a Disco or RR and its definable got to be a freelander!)

Its a 2006 Diesel 141K

With HDC

Anything i should be looking at. I usually visit the local dealer and grab one of the lads on a lunch break for a bit of beer money to have a look at any perspective purchases but alas its Sunday and its closed.

I don't mind forking out for an AA / RAC inspection but before i throw money away on one is there anything Major i need to be aware of?

And what price should i be looking at Private (its leather and the like)

Cheers

ask mungolee of pw his is in the garage every other week

colin

I have got a friend who nows a chap down the pub and his uncle's sister in law now's someone who may have had one and she said that it once got a puncture in one of the tyres so they must be rubish.

I own and drive one and i can say they are poor,compared to other cars i have owned. Would i buy one again,NO. And going buy the qulity of range rovers landrover and freelanders i can quite gladly say i would not buy anything with a green oval badge. This is just my opinion from what i have seen and drove.

ok, this is only my second post so i expect some stick

worked in parts manufacturing when i left college, made parts for LR, no quality control whatsoever, got into the garage side and have been there for over 20 years and it seems to me that nothing has changed either with QC or product developement, when they were owned by rover the only time they developed a car to the point where it was half decent was just before they dropped it in favour of a new, untested version, only thing that was different with LR was nothing changed, people just kept on buying them (BEST OF BRITTISH ENGINEERING), why anyone continued to buy the **** into the 21st century is to me, beyond comprehension, they were, and continue to be, one of the most overhyped, over priced pieces of sht produced in this country, the new ones are no better, expensive, promoted as the best off roader on the market, and to me, who repairs the bags of ****, they are as fragile as a bantams egg, would i ever accept one as a gift, not a chance, would rather a dacia duster, at least thats a realistic price, wish people would realise that they get a lada off-roader with a chiming dash and lots of flashing lights (but i think the lada`s were more reliable)

Go buy a Hyundai Tucson....about the same spec..but not so popular hence far better bang for buck ...bulletproof though and good in a crash....which is the downfall of the Freelander...one of those things you don't think about until its too late. My Freelander felt agricultural compared to the Tucson..they off roaded about the same...both suffer with poor ground clearance though so nothing to rough

Edited by PWD

ok, this is only my second post so i expect some stick

worked in parts manufacturing when i left college, made parts for LR, no quality control whatsoever, got into the garage side and have been there for over 20 years and it seems to me that nothing has changed either with QC or product developement, when they were owned by rover the only time they developed a car to the point where it was half decent was just before they dropped it in favour of a new, untested version, only thing that was different with LR was nothing changed, people just kept on buying them (BEST OF BRITTISH ENGINEERING), why anyone continued to buy the **** into the 21st century is to me, beyond comprehension, they were, and continue to be, one of the most overhyped, over priced pieces of sht produced in this country, the new ones are no better, expensive, promoted as the best off roader on the market, and to me, who repairs the bags of ****, they are as fragile as a bantams egg, would i ever accept one as a gift, not a chance, would rather a dacia duster, at least thats a realistic price, wish people would realise that they get a lada off-roader with a chiming dash and lots of flashing lights (but i think the lada`s were more reliable)

Please do not nock the little Lada 4x4 from what I have seen of them they may be a bit basic but and they do rust but apart from that they are smashing little cars.

I cannot contradict any of what you say about Rover's as my only experience of the has been one Rover 25 I drove for a few weeks and it was a good little car.

A foot note to this I see on the news that Rover are to employ an extra 800 and investing tens of milions so they must be doing something rite when we hear Honda are sacking 800 people.

I've had my Defender 5 years now (bought second hand) I must be doing something right / wrong, it's been faultless, does what it says on the label on and off road, i only changed to this one for the power steering. My last one only had a couple of probs. which i fixed myself and the parts were cheap.

ps. after saying this i know whats gonna happen now.