Lamping - Eye colour

badsworth

Can anyone tell me if there is any difference in the colour or appearance of the eye reflections from different species when lamping? The other day I was out after Charlie and cast my lamp around the field to be met by a pair of bright golden eyes (reflections). I was sure it was a fox but could not call it in any closer and as I was not sure didn't fire.

Do badgers and rabits look the same? How about cows? I'd hate to plug one of my farmers prize beefsteaks.

:)

> I'd hate to plug one of my farmers prize beefsteaks

Don't want to tell you how to suck eggs here but, Don't shoot until you can actually see the animal! Not just the eyes.

Shooting at 'eyes' is how one person has been fatally shot and another seriously wounded in the past 12 months!

In my experience, under a red lamp most things show up as orange/red. It is varying degrees of orange ness that can HELP identify things.

Foxes will have brighter eyes than cow's or rabbits, because they have better night vision. The pupil will be larger so they can absorb more light, so they can hunt at night. When you get them in the lamp the light reflects from the back of the eye and it will look brighter to you.

I use a red filter and you will not mistake a fox caught in the beem, the eyes just shine so bright. :)

Never fire at just the eyes you must be able to identify what you are shooting at 100%. If your not sure get out lamping without the rifle so it will help you recognize your intended target

Foxes will have brighter eyes than cow's or rabbits, because they have better night vision. The pupil will be larger so they can absorb more light, so they can hunt at night. When you get them in the lamp the light reflects from the back of the eye and it will look brighter to you.

I use a red filter and you will not mistake a fox caught in the beem, the eyes just shine so bright. :)

Never fire at just the eyes you must be able to identify what you are shooting at 100%. If your not sure get out lamping without the rifle so it will help you recognize your intended target

Thanks for that - do badgers have the 'bright eyes' too?

Yep - badgers have reflective eyes, which remain very close to the ground because they dont lift their head very high.

However human eyes don't reflect, it's a popular misconception used by the filming industry - so the "person shot" was not killed because of reflective eyes. :) Next time you lamp with a buddy try shining a torch in his eyes - and have him do it back to you, if for no other reason than a training exercise and confirmation of this.

I'm not categorically stating that there is no reflctive lense in our eyes (in fact I don't know) - but we dont keep our eyes WIDE OPEN when a light shines in them like a night feeding creature.

The only time that you should ever use the colour of eyes when lamping is when first trying to locate a fox.

Even sheep's eyes can be very bright - especially old sheep. Sheeps eyes as a general rule can/do show up green.

I used to go lamping on one farm in North Wales and we often used to see a huge tomcat running in down the beam. It's eyes were just like a fox's.

I almost shot this damn thing once, when it was stood in deep grass. It was only when it turned it's head sideways that I could see that it was not a fox - head-on the profile looked remarkably like a fox - especially it's ears. The lamper was telling me that it was a fox, and what was I waiting for?

I often tell the true story of the fox that was shot at long range some years ago, and when the shooters went to retrieve the fox they found that it was a dead dog, with a lead on. At the end of the lead was a very scared and angry dog owner.

So, if you are lamping at night, always buy the best scope that you can. If you are able to, use decent binoculars as well, as the light pick-up from binocs is better than with a scope.

Sorry to labour the point, but once fired you cannot bring the bullet back. Make certain 1001% that you are actually shooting a fox.

I know that some may object to me trying to tell them how to suck eggs, but in the past there have been plenty of cats and even people shot at night by excited shooters.

There is no substitute when first starting lamping by going out with experienced lampers. Even we may make mistakes on identification, but this is before the trigger is pulled.

Don

Human eyes dont reflect light.

You might find this interesting:

We've all see photographs where the people in the picture have spooky red eyes. These are photos taken at night with a flash. Where do the red eyes come from?

The red color comes from light that reflects off of the retinas in our eyes. In many animals, including dogs, cats and deer, the retina has a special reflective layer called the tapetum lucidum that acts almost like a mirror at the backs of their eyes. If you shine a flashlight or headlights into their eyes at night, their eyes shine back with bright, white light. Here is what Encyclopedia Britannica has to say about the tapetum lucidum:

Among many nocturnal vertebrates the white compound guanine is found in the epithelium or retina of the eye. This provides a mirrorlike surface, the tapetum lucidum, which reflects light outward and thereby allows a second chance for its absorption by visual pigments at very low light intensities. Tapeta lucida produce the familiar eyeshine of nocturnal animals.

Humans don't have this tapetum lucidum layer in their retinas. If you shine a flashlight in a person's eyes at night, you don't see any sort of reflection. The flash on a camera is bright enough, however, to cause a reflection off of the retina -- what you see is the red color from the blood vessels nourishing the eye.

Many cameras have a "red eye reduction" feature. In these cameras, the flash goes off twice -- once right before the picture is taken, and then again to actually take the picture. The first flash causes people's pupils to contract, reducing "red eye" significantly. Another trick is to turn on all the lights in the room, which also contracts the pupil.

Another way to reduce or eliminate "red eye" in pictures is to move the flash away from the lens. On most small cameras, the flash is only an inch or two away from the lens, so the reflection comes right back into the lens and shows up on the film. If you can detach the flash and hold it several feet away from the lens, that helps a lot. You can also try bouncing the flash off the ceiling if that is an option.

I was out about two months back and laboured to call in what I thought was a fox. After some time I decidfed to break cover and stalk in. When I got close enough I realised that it was obviously not a Fox as it would have run off. It turned out to be a Badger. :)

I'd never pull the trigger on anything until I have correctly identified it as legal quarry.

The only time that you should ever use the colour of eyes when lamping is when first trying to locate a fox.

Even sheep's eyes can be very bright - especially old sheep. Sheeps eyes as a general rule can/do show up green.

I used to go lamping on one farm in North Wales and we often used to see a huge tomcat running in down the beam. It's eyes were just like a fox's.

I almost shot this damn thing once, when it was stood in deep grass. It was only when it turned it's head sideways that I could see that it was not a fox - head-on the profile looked remarkably like a fox - especially it's ears. The lamper was telling me that it was a fox, and what was I waiting for?

I often tell the true story of the fox that was shot at long range some years ago, and when the shooters went to retrieve the fox they found that it was a dead dog, with a lead on. At the end of the lead was a very scared and angry dog owner.

So, if you are lamping at night, always buy the best scope that you can. If you are able to, use decent binoculars as well, as the light pick-up from binocs is better than with a scope.

Sorry to labour the point, but once fired you cannot bring the bullet back. Make certain 1001% that you are actually shooting a fox.

I know that some may object to me trying to tell them how to suck eggs, but in the past there have been plenty of cats and even people shot at night by excited shooters.

There is no substitute when first starting lamping by going out with experienced lampers. Even we may make mistakes on identification, but this is before the trigger is pulled.

Don

already been said but good post Don :)

The identification of your quarry, is probably your number one priority. The brightness of the eyes will help you to decide whether to take a second look or not and sometimes the colour of the eye can help. Although I've seen Muntjac with an orange eye, depending on the conditions. Apart from all of the quarry listed already by other people, you should also look out for owls, which give a good reflection. With filters it can be harder to identify your quarry, depending on the distance and the ground that the quarry is on. If I am using a filter, I also carry a white light, or a lamp with a flip down filter. Once the bullet has gone it's too late. Always know what you are shooting at. Good Luck! :)