Home made gun cabinet - is the door acceptable?

FalconFN

If you welded a protruding lip all the way round that would stop a jemmy bar getting behind the door I reckon it'd do the job....

Thanks, yes that was my plan, but I believe it has to be a continuous weld so that will test my skills a bit. It will be floor mounted next to a wall in an under stair cupboard so access will be limited which should help my cause.

Thanks, yes that was my plan, but I believe it has to be a continuous weld so that will test my skills a bit. It will be floor mounted next to a wall in an under stair cupboard so access will be limited which should help my cause.

Just do a series of inch long tacks around the whole lip, then weld in between the tacks.

If you butt the side (where the locks are) against a wall, then that can't be got at with a jemmy. Maybe even turn it upside down if necessary?

This means you only have the top edge to weld a lip on. See, the job's getting easier by the minute!

Brother-in-law has a home-made cabinet and it looks a lot rougher than yours - FEO still passed it.

Doesn't the law state that reasonable precautions have to be taken I.e. maybe not even locked up, I would think the feo would maybe say it's ok, if not try to mount it so their is restricted access. Don't scrap it, would be handy for a few things.

As above the law doesnt say you have to keep a gun in a locked safe it says you have to take reasonable precautions to stop unauthorised people gaining access to it

Look at some dealers the guns are left out with a bar on the windows and cable through all the trigger gards, some dealers have door and window bars and just a lock through trigger etc there are many ways of getting accepted a official gun cabinet is just the easiest option.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update. I welded a strip of 12 x 3 mm steel around the edge so that the door is flush, gave it a spray with some left over black hammerite and anchor bolted it to the wall and floor and the FEO inspected it last week and passed it without a comment. The fact that it is well hidden probably helps but the extra steel was the clincher so thanks for any advice given.

At the risk of sounding even less sensitive than normal ...

Brattonsound SB series cabinets start about £100.

Or, if you only have one gun, then a gun clamp might be acceptable to your FEO. Those are about the same price as you paid for an unsuitable metal box

Or ... (insensitive part) ... if you can't afford to/are not willing to store a shotgun properly and securely, then maybe you shouldn't bother having one.

nice negitive quote their.... my first gun safe was a home made one made with a large hasp and staple for a lock passed by the police,,,if i remember right you dont NEED a gun safe by law just most forses wont pass any thing else

Glad it got past, looks like your FEO showed common sense, and took into account where it was located and risk of where your living etc.

Just wondering you said it was floor mounted, did you secure the back at all?

I was only floor mounted into a concert floor, very secure in a cupboard under my stairs. An you would have needed arms of steel to pull it over and forces it out the ground, but had to secure the rear as well. Not that I was bothered, It was a 20min job if that.

Im think if you want to get FAC in the future though you will need to get a second cabinet to BSA standards, but you can use the one you have now for putting you bolts in and ammo.

It is odd that different forces have different requirements, and probably each FEO is different anyway. My FEO is a really nice chap, we had a chat about this and that, had a cuppa and then looked over the cabinet. It's well out of the way (actually a pain to get to) and on its side attached to the wall and floor so about as secure as you can reasonably get. Anyway I'm pleased that I don't have to get another one and my £25 was well spent.

http://www.homeoffic...ook?view=Binary

The bible on security for fire arms. You dont need to replace your old cabinet if it is up to the job, details are clear in annex C

2.1 The security of firearms, section 1 ammunition and shotguns within a dwelling can in most cases be achieved using a cabinet designed for this purpose. New cabinets should conform to the requirements of BS7558 (see Annex C for examples on points of construction). The cabinet should be fixed to the structure and located to frustrate attack or identification by persons visiting the premises. BS7558 was introduced in 1992 but many older cabinets will be built to perfectly satisfactory standards and, if satisfactory, need not be replaced.

Edited by LancsGunsmith

LancsGunsmith .... Right on the nail!

Some police forces will try to get people to buy branded cabinets. NOT necessary, just needs to comply with the Home Office booklet. Remember, if someone wants your gun(s) they'll come when you are in and bring their own gun ...

Andy