Pump Club

thepasty

The 2013 four4islands shotgun series started last weekend at Shield Shooting Centre, here are a few photo's of the guys who are shooting in the Pump Division with Benelli Supernovas.

Young Ben at his first big match away from home.

2013-03-09112801_zps843dbf47.jpg

Jon & Ben loading on the move..

2013-03-09130616_zps77de61c7.jpg

2013-03-09125355_zpsb4f36cca.jpg

Me about to shoot the porthole stage.

2013-03-09120800_zpscbaa3513.jpg

N

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Neil

Do you know what length of barrels those supernova's have in those pictures

Might be a bit of a dumb question but do you not get any of the shot bouncing off all them tyres?

Hi Guys

All the guns pictured have 24" barrels, as you are aware thats the shortest we can have in the UK, but if we were allowed we would run a shorter tube than that, many of our shooting buddies in europe use 20" & 18" guns as they allow for faster handling on some of the stages.

As for the tyres sometimes the odd pellet will bounce around & that is why eye protection is mandatory for all shooters & also for the spectators at all matches.

here are a couple more pics...

2013-03-09101413_zps9f513b0c.jpg

2013-03-09115853_zpse10ec090.jpg

2013-03-09115932_zps28f56148.jpg

2013-03-09120812_zps4d82c0fe.jpg

N

Edited by neil smith

Alright Pump Clubbers,

Picked up the 870 I posted about a couple of weeks ago, its a Wingmaster and from the manual that Neil posted up its a 1969 model I think, rifle sights are on the barrel so might look at getting a second barrel if I don't get on with the notch and blade. its got a few little marks on the wood but the metal work is in great condition bar a bit of wear on the mag tube.

Can't wait to get out and give it a try!

what barrel is on it? length and choke?

i got one with a rib and bead on mine.... fancy something shorter ;)

Got a 24in barrel imp cyl choke, haven't had a go with it yet, so still not sure how I will get on with rifle sights, its a 2 3/4 in chamber.

Heading back to the mother land this week so will definitely get out and try it in the next few days!

hi to one and all,

i've been an over and under shooter for many years and looking to buy a pump gun. not for any particular reason, just a fancy. i've been looking

at a mossberg 535 ats, not lots of money so if i can't get on with it, no prob. i want a gun thats easy to strip and clean and gives a problem free ownership.

i know everybody has a favourite gun so i'm looking for some guidance and advice on the above model and others if possible.

many thanks,

A.T.B. Teddy Boy

hi to one and all,

i've been an over and under shooter for many years and looking to buy a pump gun. not for any particular reason, just a fancy. i've been looking

at a mossberg 535 ats, not lots of money so if i can't get on with it, no prob. i want a gun thats easy to strip and clean and gives a problem free ownership.

i know everybody has a favourite gun so i'm looking for some guidance and advice on the above model and others if possible.

many thanks,

A.T.B. Teddy Boy

I'm new to pumps; just purchased a Winchester SXP with 26" barrel (new - £340) for very rough shooting & vermin - so far very pleased with it.

It's claimed uniqueness is its inertia assisted bolt, if you fired without hand pressure on the fore-end it would semi cycle & eject the cartridge without your intervention - so with your hand on the fore-end, only the minimal amount of effort & movement is required for very rapid cycle times (claim of 3 shots in 1/2 second).

Nonsense video of SXP's rapid cycle (3 shots in 1/2 sec):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykQjOzCQDGY

Video review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03Msp-eQmJc

Review from Gunmart:

http://www.gunmart.n...p_black_shadow/

I agree with the Gunmart reviewer, there is excessive drop at comb & heel; this I fixed with a 15mm rubber comb raiser hidden under a black neoprene sleeve that holds 4 cartridges.

Also stuck a 3mm Easyhit fibre optic sight on the barrel. With the comb raised & the Easyhit on the barrel I found I can hit the clays as well as I can with my Silver Pigeon (which is not that well).

Edit:

The SXP is very easy to strip & clean, takes me <10 secs to disassemble.

Edited by sir jasper

I had a *quick* go with a new SXP a week or two back. It was OK but I couldn't see anything "special" about it.

I certainly wouldn't say that it was faster to shoot than any other pump; it just seemed a bog-standard pumper, to me. (Of course, I only actually fired a handful of rounds through it.)

The SXP is very easy to strip & clean, takes me <10 secs to disassemble.

Now *that* interests me. What d'you mean by "disassemble"? Is it Vinchi-like in that the gun practically falls apart in your hands?

Regards,

Mark.

Now *that* interests me. What d'you mean by "disassemble"? Is it Vinchi-like in that the gun practically falls apart in your hands?

A little more agricultural in design than the Benelli; to remove the trigger assembly a pin requires tapping out, but that process takes just a couple of secs (assuming mallet & pin punch are at hand).

See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyYFeAepTMc

Edited by sir jasper

To remove the trigger assembly a pin requires tapping out, but that process takes just a couple of secs (assuming mallet & pin punch are at hand).

See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyYFeAepTMc

Looking at that video, it reminds me very much of the Remington 870. However, one thing that I like about the 870 is that, with the barrel removed, one can depress one of the shell stops and pull the forend complete with bolt straight out the front.

The 870 is very similar as far as the trigger group is concerned except that it has *two* pins holding it place.

Finally, I note that the chap didn't remove the shell stops. That made me wonder whether, like the 870, they were pinned into place and couldn't (easily) be removed.

I still prefer my M37 although with *that* gun, the stock has to be removed in order to take the trigger and bolt out.

Regards,

Mark.

OK so i'm now a member of the pump club. Cheers thepasty.

I've managed to get hold of a really cheap,beat up mossberg 500 with a 24" barrel (no rib, but sights) I collect it tomorrow.

I've already picked out bits and pieces that i want for it that ammount to 3 times what i've paid for the gun and I've not even collected it yet, never mind shot it.

I'll post a picture when I get it home.

What is it about pump guns that is so addictive?

Edited by Sco77w

OK so i'm now a member of the pump club.

Oh, well *done*, sir!

What is it about pump guns that is so addictive?

If you think *pumps* are addictice then, whatever you do, do *not* try a lever-action... :)

Regards,

Mark.