New to shooting

Chef1982

Well today i have been to manchester air guns, with alot of help from the owner i have settled for a gun i feel comfortable with as a beginner on a budget. I have purchased a Hatsan striker 1000s spring rifle with Nikko Stirling 4 x 32 mount masters. With bag and 500 pellets its set me back at £170 on the nose so a great deal!

Not an amazing set up but ideal for me to start with i believe. I have set up the scope so im shooting in a nice bunch within an inch. Just gonna get used to the gun then sort out some local permission!

Any advise or opinions of my set up will be great...

Yeah, well played, sir, well played! There's no point in splashing out the cash on a top grade set up until you really know you're gonna stick at it and want to continue it more. Keeping it simple at the beginning makes life so much easier. No point getting complicated guns, massive scopes and endless accessories at the beginning! Permission will be hard to come by - it always is, however long you've shot - so find a local club and get down there. It's not just about the fun of shooting, at a club you'll get to know others, pick up tips and just hang out with like minded locals. It might also help with getting permissions, as you'll pick up contacts and can show to local land owners you're not just some fool with a bit of time on his hands and wanna shoot stuff!

I've seen the Hatsan Striker 1000s in work, when a colleague bought one for his son. Although I've never fired it myself, my colleague says that's it's a good bit of kit. He did upgrade the scope though.

Yeah the scope was a seperate buy, that was £40. From the little bit of target practice i have done the power and accuracy is good it has an automatic safety which is good, i know most do but a few i looked at were manual. I also like the fact it is durable plastic as i would be forever paranoid of damaging a nice wood finish.

I've seen the Hatsan Striker 1000s in work, when a colleague bought one for his son. Although I've never fired it myself, my colleague says that's it's a good bit of kit. He did upgrade the scope though.

Yeah the scope was a seperate buy, that was £40. From the little bit of target practice i have done the power and accuracy is good it has an automatic safety which is good, i know most do but a few i looked at were manual. I also like the fact it is durable plastic as i would be forever paranoid of damaging a nice wood finish.

0F8AED21-1891-4C88-9390-5E28E2770AD0-2199-000002B681CB7FCB_zpsb2e34dc0.jpg

8065D6B4-3AF8-4317-9C43-1C3DEC307C9A-2199-000002B68C1EBBBD_zpsd8b19eec.jpg

C9913202-AAE6-4677-92E6-066F187E96A2-2199-000002B69773BFC1_zps415dc570.jpg

Before you go hunting or looking for permission, you need to be absoloutly sure of your self.

As the first response says - a gun club/target range can help you in many ways - meeting like minded people - tips hints and advice and stops your technique and accuracy going south due to lack of practice, for most marksmanship is a skill that doesnt come naturally, it takes a bit of honeing, i find this more so with springers.

If you dont already know about this you should youtube the "artillery hold", which is a reccomended hold specific to shooting springers which alows the gun to move as much as possible and allows you to achieve the best possible accuracy in most people's experience.

If your going to start hunting you need to be sure that you can make shots competantly at a reasonable range standing, although it is possible to take most shots prone or rested, there will be times when your required to take standing shots; practice shooting from a standing postion. It is not advised to use any kind of rest on a springer that attaches or rests on the barrel, as sometimes this can cause your Point of impact to rise as the barrel on a springer is not fixed as securely as on other guns where this practice might be okay.

I can not speak for the hatsan but some guns can be pellet fussy, although from your one inch groups i would suggest this isnt a problem, just stick with your selected brand of pellets. Different pellets will group in different places. Domed pellets are generally agree'd to be the best for accuracy and power retention.

Last thing is distance perception, what may look like "thirty yards" in a flat open field might be a big rabbit at "60 yards" its crutial to gain good distance perception to take clean shots, its not worth wounding them when you can simply stalk in an extra ten or twenty yards and be absoloutly sure that the rabbit is going down cleanly.

These are all pit falls and things that need honing before you go out hunting, ive fallen into them once or twice and its good that you have asked here first so other people with more experience can point it out where you might go wrong. The first shot i took on a rabbit was inaccurate; yes i wounded it and yes it was horrible. If you do this then dont get down trodden about it, ( took me about five weeks to go shooting again ) dispatch the wounded animal quickly and cleanly and spend some time thinking about what you did wrong, and then next time, ensure absoloutly that it can not happen again, since then ( many years back) ive not had a rabbit not drop instantly. Mistakes are mistakes and they are okay; as long as you use that as a powerfull learning experience and improve. Head shots are the quickest and cleanest but also the hardest ( the brain is the size of a 5p ) Heart shots do work, ive only taken two and they collapsed like sack of potatoes, and were dead when i got to them. Gut the rabbits in the field, just slit them open and shake the insides out, take some vynl gloves with you if you want.

My permission is more pest management than controll, the numbers are kept down by taking a few every now and then, so dont get dishartened when your not getting bags of 20-30, most of those are looking for pest irradication and are taken from golf clubs or large permissions with serious problems. Anything you cant eat - take to the game dealer.

Demonwolf444 thankyou for that post, it is very helpful and good to see someone genuinly trying to help me. I will take onboard your advise. I am also looking at firearms insurance as a belt and braces approach as i was advised by another very experienced member. Thanks again demonwolf 444

BASC - you cant go wrong with them the insurance they offer is very comrehensive. Also as a side note im convinced ( after working with some of these organisations ) that BASC put the most time and effort money and resources in to defending shooting sports and raising awareness. I dont think its the cheapest, but there are plenty of benefits of being a member, are generally the biggest organisation involved, and also have a special lower fee for airgunners ( i believe.) If you want to enjoy the sport for years to come, BASC represent you and do a lot of legwork to make it possible. I would suggest that since your interested and enjoying shooting sports that you respond to consultations and sign off on petitions to make sure the shooting communitys voice is heard and well represented. Start here; https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/scottish-government-to-drop-all-proposals-to-licence-air-weapons-in-scotland

Im only to happy to help, and offer advice. Hope your enjoying your new kit!

Carl, before you make a definite decision on BASC membership you might like to have a look at what the SACS have to offer. I'm not going to say that either of them are better than the other but the SACS are only half the price of the BASC. Take a look and make your own decision mate I'm not going to sway you either way but I would say that Insurance really is a must for any shooter!

The advice that Demonwolf has given is very sound advice. You need to learn to walk before you start trying to run. Knowing a little about your position I would strongly advise that you join an Air Rifle Club (Unfortunately we do not have an air rifle section in our club or I would take you along). I believe that there is an Air Rifle Club in Rochdale which is not a million miles from you, I will try to get the details for you while I am at Towers today. Get yourself used to your rifle set up and practice, practice, practice till you are shooting good tight accurate groups consistently. Once you are doing that do your best to get a permission, even a small one will do, and then practice some more on paper targets out in the field before you take on live quarry. Set your targets out at different distances and parctice on them while trying to guestimate the range of each target and then pace or measure each target to see how far out you are on the distance of each target - You might well be surprised at how far out you can be initially - And believe me we all make mistakes on distances or targets no matter how experienced we think we are.

Insurance will help towards you getting permissions as will meeting the landowners face to face rather than just sending out loads of letters, even though letters can occasionally bring results and is worth a try, but I feel that the Face To Face option is much better! When meeting landowners go reasonably dressed and not all camoed up, be polite even when refusals come, which they will. When you do get a (Or several) permissions respect the land and the landowners wishes and always let him know how you have done, especially if you have shot loads of feral pigeons or crows - Most farmers hate them and will thank you for shooting them.

I hope this little bit of advice helps you out a little mate!

Edited by Frenchieboy

you can get basa insurance for 19 squid compared to 46 at basc and still give u up to 2 mil cover so that should do it i think.Also i think that going for hatsan its not a bad ideea at all i have an at 44-10 and after a month a 300 pellets i can say that its very accurate and even with my limited does the job as good as any other much more famous and expensive brands.I know i will prob get a lot of people up in arms now but after shooting air arms 200 and bsa ultra i say hatsan is the better gun and yes even if its made in turkey

I've never been with them myself, but when I was looking at airgun insurance, I never heard a good word about BASA's insurance. I was told tales of names being misspelt on I.D. cards, difficult to get hold of (NOT what you need from an insurer!) and really badly run. BASC are expensive, but the cover is excellent and the money goes towards a whole host of shooting related causes. The same goes for National Gamekeeper's Organisation. I'm insured with them, (eep, need to renew!) and they've always been brilliant. I've never had a reason to claim, but they were so helpful when my documentation went through the wash with my shooting jacket, and they are far more pro-active on countryside activities than other insurers - BASC excepted - so either of those two would be my choice. The thing with insurance is that we all hope and pray we never need it, but even if that is the case, I want my money to be doing something useful for the sport I love! You get that with BASC and NGO.

I like the idea of having insurance with a group fighting to keep hunting alive. Its about time it was seen and understood why hunting is an important part of life and how it has a positive effect on future live stock and crops, inturn having the same positive effect on our well being!! Frankly i think the weather is having a bigger impact than hunting, maybe the anti's should be stood on hilltops protesting at the clouds or they will be scuppered when trying to buy potatoes for their vegetarian meal soon!

I would think that setup will do you very nicely for a starter , I think hatsan make some better airguns than they do semi auto shotguns :yes:

With regards to insurance , yes you can get cheaper than BASC but you will not get better , you are also paying for lots of good advice on many things shooting related should you need it plus giving something back to shooting as a whole.