A treat on the beet.

motty

I've had a couple of attempts at decoying on rape on a local farm this year. Poor bags resulted. However, sandwiched between two rape fields was a sugar beet field. I thought my fortunes would change when the field was harvested. This week it was. I don't have permission to shoot the land - my friend does.

On Thursday there was a large amount of activity on the beet tops and not one pigeon on the rape, just as expected.

My friend and i arrived at the field at 8am this morning. Around 800 pigeons lifted. Good start. We watched for a bit and decided where to set up. We made the hide around a post in the middle of the field.

Around thirty dead birds and a magnet made up the pattern. A second magnet was added after a while.

Pigeons were everywhere at times but many were reluctant to decoy. There were still plenty of birds coming in, though, mainly in small bunches.

The action was never hectic, but the sport was steady throughout the day. We both shot some good birds, but i felt i was a little rusty.

We packed up before 4pm. We ended a very enjoyable day with 129 pigeons.

post-2090-0-66591000-1360434934_thumb.jpg

Edited by motty

top bag motty :good: what were the conditions like where you shot , it was drizzle,and no wind round these parts so didn,t even bother going out

It was dry all day with little wind. It was nice to see pigeons drop like stones from 80 yards to land in the pattern. It was just nice to have a few shots throughout the day, rather than watching birds flying elsewhere.

Good effort. Was there a lot of green stuff for them to eat? The field looks pretty bare.

There was plenty of green for them to eat, plus plenty of bite sized chunks of beet, too. The second photo isn't too great, but you can see the green on there.

Edited by motty

Well done, brilliant day . I use to love beet shooting but they closed the factory at Kidderminster so none of farms grow it . I'll say it again " He who dares, Rodney"

I always look forward to this time of year for the beet shooting.I tend to find that more pigeons will get on the late harvested stuff rather than fields harvested in say, October - probably because most of the stubbles have little food now. My best bag on it is 194, but if everything that came close decoyed yesterday, that record would have been smashed.