Eley .22 subs v Winchester Super X .22 subs in a semi auto

kenj

Being unable find a local dealer who has a stock of Eley .22 subsonics, I opted to try the Winchester Super X subs in my Magtech 7022 semi auto today. With two ten round clips loaded with the last of my Eleys, I set up two side by side targets at 50 yards away from my shooting position, a fallen tree that gives me a convenient horizontal rest for the rifle and a comfortable seat.

The Magtech is already zeroed for 50 yards and taking single shots, the Eleys as expected all cycled perfectly, with eight punching through the 20 mm dia bull, one just outside to the lower right and the other lower still, knicking the 45mm dia ring. These strays were probably down to me pulling the shots, but pretty good for this rifle.

Using the now empty magazine, I loaded up with the Winchesters and cocked the action before firing the first shot. The report was slightly louder than the Eleys, but the bullet entered the new target dead centre. Next shot the bullet jammed. it was only half way out of the magazine and wedged in place. I pulled back the action and took the bullet out, the nose being flattened on the upper side, discarding it. I pulled back and cocked the action, the bullet fired and placed next to the first, but the spent case did not eject. On this magazine, only two bullets cycled properly. Those shots that reached the target all punched inside the 20 mm.

I changed to the other full Eley magazine and all ten fired with similar accuracy as before, not as accurate as the Winchesters, but all 50 yard kill shots. I reloaded this mag with the Winchesters, gaining one jam and several miscycles, three consecutive shots being the best. Once again the accuracy could not be faulted. With the Eleys, the last shot holds open the action, while the Winchesters failed to do this on both mags.

The Eley subs gave more recoil despite the 1030 ft/sec velocity, but always recycle. The Winchesters seemed smoother, but didn't recycle despite their 1065 ft/sec velocity. Any ideas?

My ruger 10/22 is the same mate. It jam all the time with winchesters but very good with eleys and never miss a beat on cci.

see, different guns, but same make = different ammo

my ruger 10/22 loves winchester, hates eleys, and yes cci's are good too

That does not sound typical for Winchester, my Magtech 7022 is fine with them, actually my Magtech cycles everything I chuck at it, but the Remington subs are just ****, fast, slow, and I think it was 2 if not 3 complete misfires in a box of 100!

I'm confident you will find many who suggest Winchester are good in Semis.

If you are anywhere near me sometime give me a shout and we can try your Winchesters in my 7022, maybe you have a bad batch! :good:

As I said before, the accuracy of the Wins was much better, but with a semi you want to know the next shot is ready. I use this rifle for walking up, or lamping with multi targets. I'll probably use these up on some short range stake outs. These didn't seem sticky, in fact thought they were dry compared to the Eleys.

Met Dekers for a comparison test of our Magtech 7022s firing the Winchester Super X subs I'd bought. We each fired a ten round clip, Dekers had a jam and I had a failure to eject, which surprised him, as he didn't usually get jams with Wins. This was much better than when I'd started the box last week. We then fired the remainder between us and they were all good, so maybe it was a bad batch. I set some targets at 50 yards, shooting off a gate and put four right through the centre, with the rest in the 20 mm bull, much better than my preferred Eley subs, which were in a circle10 mm wider. I also fired some Remington subs without a jam. I shall invest in another hundred Winchesters, as they seemed smoother to fire and more accurate, while with a larger hollow point should give better stopping power.

http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/magtech-7022-mossberg-7022-22-semi-automatic-rimfire/

Edited by kenj

• 2 weeks later...

Would recommend that you steer clear of Winnies in semis, so much grease on them that they jamb the works up in about 35-40 rounds.

If you cant get eley which I find surprising then use CCI or Lapua, the latter are very very expensive though and a semi soon chews through them.

A

Would recommend that you steer clear of Winnies in semis, so much grease on them that they jamb the works up in about 35-40 rounds.

If you cant get eley which I find surprising then use CCI or Lapua, the latter are very very expensive though and a semi soon chews through them.

A

My 10/22 loved winnies I could fire boxes with no jams certainly more than 35-40. New barrel I can only mange 2-4 before I get a stoppage