Not working

Alecheywood

I've been out two mornings in a row to a rape field that is full of pigeon, but as soon as I come they go and don't come back all day, my decoys are clearly not working.

What can I do???

don`t think it`s anything to do with the decoys m8, you could have the best patten most decoys it`s just the time of year,i`ve got the same probs as you, as post above sez set up early but that only works to a point normally first shoot and gone but he`s right on roost or flightline shooting brings small bags.

pigeons are just starting 2 pair up around here so small flocks can mean better shooting as in your not shooting at 50--100 birds at a time then them 50-100 disappear.

it`s just very hard this time of year m8 :cry1:

Same for me two days watching and planning, on a new permission, seen one flight line and sitting trees with over 300 around or them dropping on to the fields, took a friend out yesterday to go through a few things he pointed out where the pigeons come from, so gets to the field set up with magnet plus decoys, nothing no pigeons every was very dead, but lucky for me my mate had brought 10 dead pigeonsto me, so when the farmer showed up he'd thought I'd done well seeming there wasn't much about.

Its not easy. Thursday it was 3pm before I managed to get away to a rape field which was being hit hard right alongside an old railway line. Set up with ten shells and a flapper where the first dead bird went. No birds were landing among the decoys but were being drawn in close enough to shoot where six fell in an hour and at least twice that were missed. Even after 4pm birds were still flocking into the field but were now using the far side below a single sitty tree.

Friday up bright and early decoys set up and three orange beaters flags placed in the far corners. Not one pigeon had shown up by 3pm so went and lifted the flags and returned to the hide and began packing up when two flocks of over a 100 landed on and around the sitty tree where the flags had been ten minutes ago. Roll on seed time!

Blackpowder

Edited by Blackpowder

I've been out two mornings in a row to a rape field that is full of pigeon, but as soon as I come they go and don't come back all day, my decoys are clearly not working.

What can I do???

It's like that here too, so many places for them to feed, you can't cover or flag them all. The enemy soon find somewhere safe and it's game over. There is NO pattern as to where they want to feed, all the gas guns and rockets keep them moving.

So it's not your pattern. I have tried just getting the birds up off a field that's blue with them, then hiding back in the truck well away. Never saw another bird until I drove 2 miles up the road and there they were - did the same thing and they were off somewhere else.

There are no flightlines, just "flock-strings" where a flock of 1000 birds just follow the 1st brave boy in. As soon as you disturb it they are off and try their luck someplace else.

Wait for the flocks to break up and look for spring drillings, it should be a different ballgame.

It's driving me nuts!!

There's not enough flags, rope bangers or shooters round here. Rape is grown on almost every farm, in blocks of 500 acres at a time.

Your lucky then as I am travelling about 10 miles to shoot over Rape as I have none local to me.

why not ask a PW member in your area to have a day with you if your land owner would allow it and set up in different fields, it may keep them moving.