Fox with 32g no5

fosters1978

I was talking to a mate 2day an he got me wondering......... He said he was out crow and pigeon decoying and a fox strolled past at approx 35 to 40 yard and stop looked at him then carried on, he said he didn't shoot because he had 32g no 5s in. But this got me wondering if he had have shot would it have killed the fox and if so what range would u think it would kill a fox too.and what would you have done shot or not?. Sorry if this is a daft question but iam a newbie haha can't wait to hear replys just to stop me wondering and sorry if posted in wrong place, cheers

Personally, I wouldn't take that shot either. At 20yds the fox would be killed cleanly most of the time by 32g of 5's, at 40yds its a lot more likely that the fox will be injured. I would say you need at least 36g of no.1's or larger to reliably kill a fox at 40 yds

Yep I recon at that range you need a bit more poke. No:1's or bb's.

But I've killed foxes at 20/25 yards with 32g no:6's when they have

poped up while out rough shooting and I've had to shoot with no

chance to re-load. I do keep a couple of heavy shells in the front

of my belt just in case. But in the heat of battle you don't often get

them in the gun at the right moment. If charlie has not seen you

you might get him to turn in to you by pursuing your lips and letting

out a short sqweal.

Guest cookoff013

yup, totally agree with all posts here.

i`ve alays said #4 for groundgame, but for foxes its different, larger target, needs stopping efficiently. to do that #1 or BB or lager. #1 is still classed as a type of birdshot.

42g BB would be the optimal here. imho !

At that range it would depend if it knew I was there, if walking / stationary I'd have taken it and given it two rapidly to the front end and it wouldn't have gone anywhere. Its on the edge of range and you would want to know it was 35 to 40 rather than 40 to 50 but thats a decent load of 5's. With foxes distance is the key close up anything will do longer range personally I don't bother with a shotgun I've seen enough shots at silly ranges with heavy loads to know its more about where you put the shot and distance than it is about whats in the gun. Most of mine with the shotgun are 20 yards and under with 5's and 6's though I have used 7's and they did the job just as well, your best option is to stand as still as possible till the last moment and you may be surprised how close they come

I shot at one in my hide after calling it in to 18 yards ish with 32 /6 and hit it in the chest with both barrels watching its fur lift but it ran through the hedge so I gave it another 2 as it needed finishing . It ran off and I felt terrible:( so always carry bb or sg now

Stick to BB's, they will give you a much better pattern. SG's are too big and there are not many of them in a cartridge, so they dont pattern very well. At 18 yds though they would have done the job on your fox

I shot at one in my hide after calling it in to 18 yards ish with 32 /6 and hit it in the chest with both barrels watching its fur lift but it ran through the hedge so I gave it another 2 as it needed finishing . It ran off and I felt terrible:( so always carry bb or sg now

blimey that was a tuff fox,shot a few at that range with 1oz 6's and they hardly took another step!

not that i was hunting them with that load,they just popped up!! use 42gm of 3's if looking for them.

Edited by stu nesling